If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

I've decided to model a British prototype, but which one

Ben P

• RMweb Premium

. Also I found the Pendon website and felt a bit daunted trying to model an area/era that others were already building the ultimate model of, interesting that is was another Aussie that started it.

Sadly, Roye England was a fan of the London & North Western Railway (part of the LMS), when he left Australia, but travelled via the GWR to get to London! Obviously had no staying power!

:jester:

G'day Ben,

If you have settled on the ex-GER lines it might be worth checking out the Great Eastern Railway Society and in particular this document http://www.gersociety.org.uk/images/stories/documents/4mm.pdf

It contains a list of 4mm equipment available for everything GER, LNER and BR relevant to the region from locos, through to signals and building kits it was last updated about a year ago so may not have the most recent releases/announcements. There is also a list of publications about aspects of the GER and its successors although there are several newer books not mentioned.

Also the LNER encyclopedia website http://www.lner.info/

which has a lot of useful information and an LNER focused forum.

There are books available for all of the branches you have mentioned by Middleton Press https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/

Also Peter Paye has done excellent books on the Snape, Brightlingsea and Tollesbury branches as well as others in the area that would have shared the same locos and rollingstock etc.

The books of Iain Rice may also be relevant (mostly track plans) as he has modeled locations in Suffolk such Orford Quay which had a maltings based on that at Snape.

Mistley is interesting as there was also a planned railway from there to Thorpe and Walton via Tendring. Cuttings were constructed but the railway was never built. It has a facebook page which may be odd for a railway that was never built some 150 years ago.

Finally I am modeling (in 7mm) an extension of the Brightlingsea branch to St. Osyth that was planned and never built, I have gathered a fair bit of information on the Tendring Hundred lines (Clacton, Walton and Brightlingsea) and am happy to share it, you might like to look at Colchester Hythe and Wivenhoe as they are similar to Misley in having through lines, nearby branches and quays, in the case of Hythe there is also a tramway to a gassworks.  

Good luck with your model.

Can now add Britania, WD 2-8-0, K1, K3, L1, Ivatt 2MT, B12 (old) and J39 to the list of locos. Fairly light on with tank engines however no although I could use J71 N2 or sentinel as a stand in may have to build a J69 kit.

After a week of researching British models and prototypes I am getting an understanding of the fascination of wishlists on this forum Saint, Bulldog, toplights, J69,J70,F5,N7 anything NER............................................................... ;)

Anything NER hey.. man after my own heart!!! :-D

NER is a wierd anomaly in that it's the biggest component of the LNER but short on RTR. However it your willing to build kits there is a decent selection :).

I'm an NER fangirl, love the locos and the history (and come from the edge of the NER region) and certainly worth looking at.

On the positive side, because your looking LNER, not NER, a lot of the RTR would have run on some of the NER region at some point. For example (looking at the large end) the A3's and their kin would run regularly through the NER region on Scottish expresses.

Cheers for the links 61658 I had already found the LNER encyclopedia, the GERS list is extremely useful. I also had a look at the maps for Hythe and as you say it seems to have everything I need I had already looked at Wivenhoe which is quite interesting also.At the moment I am drawing track plans for a through station with nearby quay I may or not model a branch I will sort that out later although I have developed an interest in the GER trestle bridges so I am leaning towards a small branch.

Hi Katier, of the NER I found some photos of the station at Sandsend that looked excellent and I enjoyed Staithes when I visited there. It is a shame the NER is under represented with RTR locos I particularly like some of the 0-6-0s.

Archived