If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

I've decided to model a British prototype, but which one

Ben P

Hi Everyone,

After 8 or 9 years of attempting to model Australian railways in HO (in small spaces) and before that helping a friend with their N gauge US layout, I've moved house to somewhere with room for a reasonable sized layout (6.6m x 3.6m approx 22ft x 12ft.) The problem is I will only have the room for 5-8 years as it has been earmarked as a bedroom for one of the kids when he is older.

So in the time I have this space for I thought I would get a British railway model out of my system. However aside from a quick look online I dont know a great deal about the railways of the UK or what models are available (there seems to be a huge selection). 

I was thinking of possibly a secondary line station with a junction to a branch or an industry, I like to model in a fairly tight time band (2-3 years) and in to the characteristics of a specific area (but not a actual location). I am thinking of OO or possibly EM and taking advantage of the wealth of RTR locos and coaches available I am happy to build kits, particularly plastic or resin ones but am not to confident with building brass locos or coaches.

If anyone has had a good idea or trackplan for a location that they will never get round to building or if they want to extol the virtues of a particular railway company, location or time period that I can research I am starting this project with a clean slate so I am happy to hear any suggestions.

I have visited the UK a couple of times and while I didn't do anything railway orientated I went to several interesting places, I will look up the names of the particular villages, towns etc that I liked as that would be a good start point. I also have a box of about 30 books on british railway topics that I bought from a second hand bookshop a couple of years ago with a view to selling on ebay, I will dig this out and see what appeals in the books. 

Thanks in advance for any help and hopefully in time I will be able to post some photos on this forum as I start to build my model.

Most people start off by thinking do I want Steam or Diesel or both? So what do you find attractive about British railways locomotivewise? Once you've done that you've also narrowed the decade(s) down a bit

Look through some of the Layouts or Prototype photos until you find something you like.

It's really difficult to suggest something in answer to such a wide-ranging question....you've got to do some legwork first.

Good luck, Pete.

Ben, you don't say which state you are in (or even if you are in Australia - but I am assuming you are). I am a member of the British Railway Modellers of Australia, as are several other forum members. The BRMA is a loose group of like-minded modellers in all scales with a common interest in British railways of all eras. There is a wealth of information and encouragement available within the association and meetings are held in most states, with various frequencies.

If you don't want to broadcast your location far and wide, PM me and I can look up the nearest BRMA contact for you. While the BRMA may not be to everyone's tastes or needs, you have nothing to lose by trying them.

Of course, these forums can also provide lots of  great help, information and encouragement too - ask the right questions and you'll most likely be swamped with answers and/or suggestions - but do try to be fairly specific with the questions. There is no such thing as a "stupid question" but if it is too vague or open-ended it becomes much harder to answer.

As trisonic said, you need to let us know what some of your interests are and we should be able to come up with something that would suit you better.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

Whichever era you model might I suggest that you make the layout portable.

At the end of 8 years you might not be able to bring yourself to decommissioning it!

(You may even be able exhibit or sell it!)

Another thing to think about, especially with all that space you have, is what type of layout you want - "L" or "U" shaped end to end or a roundy type?

But don't spend too much time thinking - 8 years will pass very quickly!

Kev.

Thanks all who have added comments so far, do I like UK steam or diesel? Good question, In short yes but not together :) which complicates things. I have been reading and researching all day and I have narrowed things down a bit, If I go with diesels (I have ruled out electric) I prefer them in blue (although I did seem some maroon diesel hydraulics that looked interesting). I don't want to model past the mid 80s as my Australian interests are in the late 80s early 90s and I want to do something completely different from that. So if it is a diesel layout it will be late 70s or early 80s ( I like the music of the clash and the specials so that fits with that era). If it is steam I don't want to model wartime or steam and diesel transition so that leaves me with the 30s or 50s (please correct me if I have got this wrong). I understand not much is available pre WW1 so I have ruled out earlier than that. At the moment I am leaning toward a steam layout, as that is far removed from what I have modeled previously, I once saw a photo of an 4-4-0 loco in a magazine that looked the classic British loco to me if I can find it it may be a good starting point. I will keep researching, I have found the books I was looking for and that should help.

As for BRMA I am currently based in regional SA previously northern TAS, I saw the BRMA layout at the Adelaide model railway show a couple of years ago and was very impressed, I have their details and have looked at their website. I may become involved with them but I would like to make some sort of start myself first (even if it is just research) so I know what questions to ask. At this stage the anonymity offered by a forum suits my level of ignorance ;).

The type of layout I am intending to build is a roundy roundy. Basically I will be operating on my own so I want a couple of trains circulating while I shunt or possibly operate a small branch terminus. Making it portable or semi-portable is a consideration if I can't bear to part with it after 8 years it will be a bit of a problem as I still have to build my ultimate Australian layout (when I have the space)  :)

• RMweb Premium

Take a look at this thread here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80479-a-borchester-market-layout-appreciation-topic/

It's a layout highly regarded for its prototype operation, even though built many years ago & is now preserved after the owner Frank Dyer passed away. Its based of the former LNER in the late 50s/early 60s, but the principles of how the layout operates could be anywhere between 1880s & mid 1960s

Use it for ideas, but don't make a copy of this or any other layout you might come across, it isn't something that works out usually, because you can't make compromises of compromises.

Of the two periods you mention 1930s, (a model of any of the Big 4 - representing a grouping of a large number of smaller railways) is quite feasible or for the 1950s (a model based on one of the big 4 again, with stock in nationalised liveries, along with some new 'Standard' locos, new coaching stock MK1's & vast numbers of new wagons), to replace those worn out after 6 years of war.

A lot is down to personal choice and the information thus provided, barely touches the surface.

Welcome to the forum Ben. It is worth bearing in mind that British 00 gauge uses the same track as H0, so you could build one layout and run your Australian and British stock on it on alternate days. That is, before you get to the stage of planting buildings and scenery which I imagine will be a little different for each country. The important thing is to enjoy what you are doing and there is plenty of advice and inspiration on here.

• RMweb Premium

As for BRMA I am currently based in regional SA previously northern TAS, I saw the BRMA layout at the Adelaide model railway show a couple of years ago and was very impressed, I have their details and have looked at their website. I may become involved with them but I would like to make some sort of start myself first (even if it is just research) so I know what questions to ask. At this stage the anonymity offered by a forum suits my level of ignorance ;).

Don't know where in SA you are (regional covers a lot of ground there!), but in the BRMA, not everyone is in Adelaide. Of course it might not be your cup of tea, although you did mention helping a mate before.

That helps a bit. Early to mid '70s will allow you to mix liveries a bit. BR blue was starting to dominate by that time but some green locomotives still survived, most notably 40 106 which lasted until 1976 before being repainted ... into green again! A few maroon (or green for the Southern Region) coaches still survived.

The early '70s saw the old 'D' numbers and four-character headcodes still used, until around 1974. It also saw the last of the Western Region diesel hydraulic locomotives out - from memory the last Western class 52s went around 1976/7 but don't quote me on that. After 1973/4, TOPS class numbers predominated (although, all of these livery and numbering changes took time to change completely). Apart from departmental stock, most pre-nationalisation coaches had also gone by then.

By the early '80s just about everything was blue (blue/grey for mainline coaches) and many of the 'non-standard' diesels had gone.

If you go with steam, there is more ready to run stuff available for the 1950s than for the 1930s, although both are possible. The 1950s also allows for livery transitions, with pre-1948 railway liveries surviving until the middle of the decade (a few went longer than that but they were rare by that time). Then there is the overlap of the 1956 livery changes on British Railways, so crimson and cream carriages could mingle with maroon or even chocolate and cream on the Western Region or green on the Southern Region. A good many 4-4-0 types and even the last of the Atlantics (4-4-2) survived until the mid to late '50s (an excuse to pre-order the Bachmann Southern Atlantic??). The first of the pilot scheme diesels started to be delivered around 1957 (not counting the LMS/Ivatt and Bulleid diesels, Fell diesel or 10800!). Early lightweight DMUs were also in use and later production batches were just coming on stream too.

Lots of possibilities with any of those time periods but for the 1930s you'll have to choose an area to base your model on where things could be more widely travelled in BR days ... unless you simply want to run whatever takes your fancy (it's your layout and you can run what you want!).

You mention that you have only visited the UK a couple of times, if you liked that part of the country that may help narrow it down.

Do you have parents or grandparents who have lived in the UK, they might have some knowledge of a particular area or region

which may help you with background of the railway you try to recreate,

good luck

• RMweb Premium

Are you an 'operator' or 'builder'? 

As SHMD says. eight years can pass very quickly... my own layout has been on the go for 12 years already and it's only 12 ft2 in the scenic area - I got a bit distracted with work, women and more work... 

Two plans below - more to focus your thoughts & comments from other members than in the expectation you'll use either - I get the impression you want to recreate an atmosphere rather than a a strict representation of X. 

post-16840-0-03374500-1390145280_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-08723200-1390145299_thumb.jpg

Thanks once again for all the advice given, I have found the books and some magazines also that I bought a while back I think I probably got a bit of a bargain as there are many quality hard cover books amongst them, too many to list but several on the LMS and GWR a few on the LNER, one only of the SR, several on BR, a few books of general railway photos and a few on railway modeling (I can't help but wonder what happened to the previous owners models if their books ended up in a fairly cheap 2nd hand bookshop).

The most useful so far has been Steam Locomotives of British Railways by H C Casserly (still looking for that 4-4-0), the model railway design manual by C J Freezer and particularly an atlas of the pre-grouping railways of Britain.

With this last one (also google street view and the old maps website) I am looking at locations that I visited and liked in the UK with the benefit of knowing which railway served them.

I have family in Faversham Kent (ex SECR) and looking at the old maps like the spur to the docks, I dont as yet have much information on the locos that ran there or what is available in model form.

I also have Family in Bungay Suffolk and while staying with them we visited several villages (I am glad I wrote the locations on the  back of the photos I took) these included Lavenham, Framlingham and Snape (ex GER) and Blythburgh (ex Southwold Rly), Pin Mill and Orford in Suffolk also Kersey, Wivenhoe (ex GER) and Heybridge Basin in Essex. Some of these never had a railway it seems so a model one in these areas could be the answer, I also particularly like the architecture of this area.

My wife has family that we have visited in Crediton, Barnstaple and Ottery St Mary I assumed these would be GWR but it turns out they are ex- L&SW we also visited Polperro in Cornwall and the Cliffs near Bridport/West Bay in Dorset and took lots of photos I like these places but they seem to be very much branchlines and I'm thinking of something a bit bigger.

The other place I liked and visited in 1995 and 2008 was the Vale of the white Horse, the landscape if you squint a bit reminds me of several places in Australia with a wide open feeling and distant hills but when you get into the villages all the old buildings stand out all the more because of the vague familiarity of the landscape. i talked to a mate who lived in the UK for a couple of years at Oxford about that and he thought much the same thing. I like the buildings there as much as those in Suffolk. Three of the books I have are The Great western Railway in the 1930s vol one and two edited by Green and Scott and The Modelers Guide to the GWR by T J Booth these are making a good case for the GWR.

So all in all I am hopefully closing in on a suitable area I've given up on the 1970s blue diesel era, I had been thinking of a winter scene in an urban setting grey with many puddles but I think it was just a reaction to all the 40C+ days we had lat week!

I now looked at all the books I have, several websites, numerous online photos and lots of layouts and have arrived at a point where I can cull down the list of possible layout options.

This is the process of pros and cons I have worked through.

LMS

Pro

I have several very good books on the LMS, plus MR and LNWR.

I quite like the Stanier locos particularly class 5, class 8, Dutchess (non-streamlined) and Jubilee

There seems to be a fair bit available RTR

Con

I am not really familiar with any particular location in ex-LMS territory.

A lot of the smaller locos do not appeal to me.

A lot of the pre-grouping locos don't appeal either.

Conclusion

I think I will give the LMS a miss.

SR 

Pro

I am familiar with locations around Faversham and Queenborough ex SECR and Crediton ex L&SW.

The idea of a dock or quay is something that I would consider.

I particularly like the rebuilt pacifics and terriers at the other end of the scale.

Con

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of standardisation so lots of pre-group locos (did the SR switch about or did they stay in the area they originated?).

Aside from online I don't currently have many SR resources.

Not sure about green coaches.

Availability of RTR a bit patchy? Due to pre-grouping locos?

Conclusion

Probably will give the SR a miss also

GWR

Pro

I have several useful resources and inspirational photos.

I like most of the locos I have seen.

Almost all major locos available RTR

I have visited the area and like it (Berkshire/Wiltshire/Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire)

Con

Lots of banter GWR vs the rest 

Seems a bit like supporting Collingwood in the Aussie football, not sure of equivalent for UK Manchester United? Arsenal?

Conclusion

probably the front runner at this point. I prefer the locos with their number painted on the buffer beam also the shirtbutton logo (which most people seem to dislike) so If its GWR its late 30s.

LNER

Pro

I have some resources plus I have found lots of useful stuff online.

I have visited and like parts of the ex GER area (also Staithes-Whitby area Yorkshire and Northumberland coast ex NER not mentioned in previous post)

It turns out the mystery 4-4-0 that I liked so much was a D 16/3

As with the SR a dock or quay would be good

Good range of coaches available RTR

Con 

RTR seems patchy (same pre-grouping problem as SR?) aside from the old B12 (inacurate?) and J 72 I cant find any exGER or NER locos available.

Not sure about LNER green locos (so would need to be 1950s)

Conclusion

I can't quite rule out the LNER but if I do it it will be BR 1950s.

The next step

So overall its GWR 1930s or ex LNER 1950s I need to do some more research particularly on the LNER. Also I need to determine what sort of layout I want as The White Rabbit indicated earlier and what exactly is available/applicable RTR and also kits.

Cheers

Ben

Welcome Ben,

Hope you survived the heat in SA.  I am in central Vic and we too had 5 days of over 40.

You certainly have a bit of work in front of you, but seem to have narrowed the choice down in your research.

The 4-4-0 that you discovered was a D16/3 will be produced by Hornby this year, well it was announced, but usually they take at least 18+ months.  They also announce a J15 0-6-0 tender engine, another GER/LNER loco and a preserved Loco exists on the North Norfolk railway.  A K1 2-6-0 in BR was also announced. 

There are a number of East Coast layouts on here, such as Grantham (LNER), Little Bytham (BR) and Peterborough North (BR late 50's) just to mention three.  The LNER and SR were always the poor cousins in terms of rolling stock from the manufacturers, but that is changing.

I model LNER late 30's mostly, but also have BR all regions, even a couple of BR (green) Diesels for something a bit different .

Keep researching and asking questions.

Also a member of the BRMA in OZ

Mark

Thanks all who have added comments so far, do I like UK steam or diesel? Good question, In short yes but not together :) which complicates things. I have been reading and researching all day and I have narrowed things down a bit, If I go with diesels (I have ruled out electric) I prefer them in blue (although I did seem some maroon diesel hydraulics that looked interesting). I don't want to model past the mid 80s as my Australian interests are in the late 80s early 90s and I want to do something completely different from that. So if it is a diesel layout it will be late 70s or early 80s ( I like the music of the clash and the specials so that fits with that era). If it is steam I don't want to model wartime or steam and diesel transition so that leaves me with the 30s or 50s (please correct me if I have got this wrong). I understand not much is available pre WW1 so I have ruled out earlier than that. At the moment I am leaning toward a steam layout, as that is far removed from what I have modeled previously, I once saw a photo of an 4-4-0 loco in a magazine that looked the classic British loco to me if I can find it it may be a good starting point. I will keep researching, I have found the books I was looking for and that should help.

The type of layout I am intending to build is a roundy roundy. Basically I will be operating on my own so I want a couple of trains circulating while I shunt or possibly operate a small branch terminus. Making it portable or semi-portable is a consideration if I can't bear to part with it after 8 years it will be a bit of a problem as I still have to build my ultimate Australian layout (when I have the space)  :)

Greetings, Ben.

I do not want to cover ground already commented on by others at too great a length, but perhaps I can add a few remarks?  I am modelling BR in '00' using up practically the same space as you have at your disposal, and from what you say, the period 1947 to 1953 could work for you.  No wartime livery unless you want some for variety, early BR which is 'Big 4'  liveries with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' blazoned all over them and all 'normal' BR liveries.  Some locos of 'Standard' classes not yet built, but lots of pre-grouping and Big 4 locos still at work.  Roundy-roundy is a good choice for operational variety, and private sidings add a lot of movements, as would a loco depot with all facilities.  One station on a main or secondary line would take long and short, stopping and through trains of all kinds, and RTR and kits VERY available - more than you'll ever want.  Settle on an area that borders two or more regions to maximise choice of stock.  Many buildings remain from previous eras, so this again adds variety.  Run both main line and branch line to the fiddle yard which should be big enough to hold at least 8 to 12 trains.  I respect your choice not to run diesels, but in the early days, even some of those had a little character and were seen side-by side with steam in most areas from about 1958/59 to about 1965/66 (varies a little with area) and most were green with a few other colours, especially on the WR.  There are dozens of experts and enthusiastic amateurs here who will assist as much as they can, whichever 'era' you choose.  The eras of Bachmann catalogues, for example, are for guidance only, as it always took a while for new liveries to be applied to all stock - for instance pre-war wooden private owners wagons lasted in some roles right up to the 1970s in some places.  Above all, choose what you can enjoy running, and have fun.  The comments already made that you could make the layout portable are well-founded, as that will assist in reducing wastage to a minimum when you need to vacate the room.  Have fun!

ATB

Barry

Once again thanks for peoples suggestions/information, 

The layout options I am currently looking at are:

double track oval with 1 mid sized station with industry, loco depot and/or quay on one side and fiddle yard on the other similar to what 060shunter has suggested.

double track oval with junction station on one side and branch terminus on the other with fiddleyard behind it.

single track oval with small through station in one corner and larger terminus (seaside?) on opposite side with 2 road engine shed station pilot etc and fidle yard behind.

double track oval with combined through station terminus in one corner (a small Bristol Temple Meads inspired by C J Freezers Avon plan)  and possibly small through station.

double track oval with triangle at one end and larger terminus in the centre (at 3.6m width however not sure if I can 2x get double tracks through 180 degrees).

Also I am trying to reconcile what is available RTR new or 2nd hand, what has been "announced" and what is to "current standards" with the time frames I am looking at.

Starting with the GWR in the 1930s

classes that I am interested in (not looking at a mainline so no Kings) please correct me on this if I have it wrong or there is anything that I am missing.

Castle Hornby

Hall     Hornby and Bachmann

Star    Hornby

Saint   old Hornby model only, I particularly like the ones with inside steampipes

Grange Hornby

53XX     Bachmann

51XX     Hornby from 61XX?

28XX     Hornby

45XX     Bachmann

57xx      Bachmann

ROD     Bachmann

Bulldog not available, (unfortunate as this is probably my favourite along with the saint, one was even named Tasmania where I used to live) 

Dean goods Hornby

collet 0-6-0   Bachmann

48xx /14xx          Hornby (old model?)

Coaches

Collet Coaches Bachmann

Clerestory Coaches Hornby

B set Hornby

Auto Coach Hornby

Toplights not available (this is a big problem for 1930s as from the pictures I have seen they were the most common type, I don't mind making a few coach kits but not 50%+)

Goods

heaps of RTR and plasic kits the PO wagons certainly are a plus for a 1930s layout.

Research of the LNER continues I have ordered a couple of books online and am hoping they will turn up before the long weekend.

Thanks for everyone's input

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard Ben

The lads have already opened a good discussion on here with some sound advice and our usual generous offers of support andencouragement.

I'd like to add to that but rather than post lengthy text here you're very welcome to PM me.  Nothing whatever to hide (quite the reverse if you check my post count!) but I have limited time during business hours to think out and post these things.

I'm ion contact through another forum with numerous modellers in SA many of whom "do" British to varying degrees.  I understand some of the frustrations of trying to model Aussie - there's precious little ready to run and it tends to be both pricey and sometimes also rather basic.  We also have to take acocunt of three main-line gauges!

So drop me a line, we can have a chat and we can perhaps lead to an introduction to my SA friends who are not by and large members here.

And while you're at it take a look at the links in my signature to give an idea of what can be done in British outline modelling here in Oz.

Some books that I purchased from an Adelaide based member of this forum arrived to day (in record time). They were Great Eastern Branchline Album and 55 years of East Anglian Steam by I.C. Allen and Engine sheds of the Great Eastern railway part 2.

The first page I opened to had a large photo of a J15 crossing a wooden bridge at Snape and the next page a couple of D16/3s at Framlingham. I think I may have found what I am looking for with the bonus of it being in an area I have actually visited.

I have been comparing various locations mentioned in the book to 1950s maps on the old maps website http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html and the track plans from the engine shed book, so far Felixstowe town, Walton-on-the naze and Mistley are giving me ideas for track plans. All of the coaches that I would need for the era/location seem to be available but I still need to work out which locos are or will be avaiable rtr B1, B17, D16 and J15 are a good start though.

Can now add Britania, WD 2-8-0, K1, K3, L1, Ivatt 2MT, B12 (old) and J39 to the list of locos. Fairly light on with tank engines however no although I could use J71 N2 or sentinel as a stand in may have to build a J69 kit.

After a week of researching British models and prototypes I am getting an understanding of the fascination of wishlists on this forum Saint, Bulldog, toplights, J69,J70,F5,N7 anything NER............................................................... ;)

With all the information you are gathering from books, internet and here (track plans, locomotive types, rollingstock etc), why not consider building a 'what if' layout. This could be an imaginery location on a main line or even where a line was to be extended, but never eventuated. This will give you the benefit of having all what you want, but still allow for prototypical running. For example, you have chosen a branch line junction off a main line, so why not utilise the branch to access the port. This could be used for Holiday Specials, fish trains, coal export etc...

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben

You have a fascinating dilemma but seem to be progressing

Vale of White Horse area? Try reading Adrian Vaughan's excellent books - Signalman's Morning, Heart of the Great Western are good starters - to gain a feeling for the atmosphere and operations in the area.

Although GWR plenty of reasons for traffic and locos from all 3 other regions to appear if you feel so motivated

If you haven't dismissed diesels have a look at Abbotswood Junction - link below - for what you might achieve in late 60's/early 70s using rtr stock - but the infrastructure would taken stock back to the 50s without too much incongruity, and it is not unknown for us to back date to running with steam from time to time, although the WR finished with it on 31st Dec 1965 by which time locos were getting in dire condition.

But most of all whatever you choose to do - have fun!

Cheers

Phil

With all the information you are gathering from books, internet and here (track plans, locomotive types, rollingstock etc), why not consider building a 'what if' layout. This could be an imaginery location on a main line or even where a line was to be extended, but never eventuated. This will give you the benefit of having all what you want, but still allow for prototypical running. For example, you have chosen a branch line junction off a main line, so why not utilise the branch to access the port. This could be used for Holiday Specials, fish trains, coal export etc...

Cheers, Gary.

OMHO this is a very good bit of advice, Ben.  You have already lighted on the GE section of the LNER, and noticed that there are, as already mentioned, a number of locos available RTR and even more as kits.  If, for instance, you like the idea of the M&GNJR, you can add a lot of RTR ex-LMS classes, and I am told there were a number of GC and GN classes seen there, as well.  2Ps, Ivatt tanks and tender engines, and, of course, dependent on your 'era' there were standard classes about as well.  Ports locally include Boston, which is on a river, so you don't need to model the sea if you'd like a port but prefer not have too much sea to 'build'.  Ports had entirely 'other' classes of short wheelbased shunters and sentinels, the curves were tight, and both these facts would allow for extra content and ease of finding space for everything.  Anyway, you have enough to ponder.  I hope you get round to letting us know how you get on.  All the best, Ben.

Barry

Thanks Gazmanjack and 060shunter, I think a dock or port will be a feature, I particularly like the idea of a fish train and also seaside excursion trains. The M&GNJR is an interesting idea looking at my pre grouping map I haven't visited any towns along that line but my wife and I drove through nearby Well-next the sea (interesting as a potential model itself) and I quite liked the use of flint as a building material. Unfortunately it poured with rain for the few days we were in the area and continued to rain until we got to York (where the river had flooded) so while we drove through Boston etc we didn't get much of a look at that area.

The style of buildings, houses, pubs etc are driving my choice of location as much almost as much as the railway Lavenham particularly stood out but as I am looking for something with a port the Aldeburgh, Snape, Felixstowe, Harwich, Walton-on-the-Naze, Clacton-on-sea, Brightlingsea, Tollesbury and Maldon branches are my focus for inspiration at the moment mostly though the use of oldmaps, streetview and google earth. I have also found out Southwold was a narrow gauge line.

I have also been pondering the arrangement of the layout, I have ruled out the central terminus as the room I have is slightly too narrow (i'm sure there must be a formula that says  no matter how much room a modeler has they will plan something just too big for it) this would have been a good arangement for Felixstowe town.

The smaller terminus on one side is also fairly unlikely now, I was thinking something like Walton-on-the-naze for this one, the problem is I would have to turn the locos etc in the fiddle yard to return so in reality it is an end to end layout with an oval in the middle which, I wan't to keep shunting in the fiddle yard to a minimum.

The combined terminus through station is still an option.

The junction station on one side either with the branch in the fiddle yard or represented as a model is the front runner at the moment. Mistley is a bit of an inspiration with the through lines handling local passenger services and express boat trains, fish trains? a steep zig zag incline down to a quayside tramway and a rail served malting factory. Something like this with a branch inspired by Snape, Maldon or Tollesbury would provide me with everything I needed. As an alternative instead of a ferry port the line could run to a seaside town having excursion trains as opposed to boat trains, the reason I was considering this is I don't know if I wan't to build lots of ferry wagons.

Thanks for peoples advice both on this thread and through PM I have found the prototype I wan't to model and am now really starting to like things like B17s, J15s and GER wooden trestle bridges that I didn't even know existed a week ago.

PS also thanks for the book recommendation Phil Bullock if I can find a cheap copy online I will get it as I enjoy reading a wide variety of things, If there were Toplights or Bulldogs available RTR I may have ended up modeling GWR. Also I found the Pendon website and felt a bit daunted trying to model an area/era that others were already building the ultimate model of, interesting that is was another Aussie that started it.

Archived