Church Norton

3 link

Evening Dave,

Yes it's good to get the mojo back, as you can see I am also building a William Clarke station.

Except I have taken the easy way out and mine is in kit form. Whereas yours is a stunning scratch built example and I am regularly skipping back to your amazing blog. Talking of your station, would you happen to remember what paint you used for the brickwork, I am still toying with various Humbrol enamels at present but not entirely happy with the results. Sometimes I think great that is spot on, and then once dry the work seems to take on a different hue.

Platforms will be next, I have taken the original formers up as they will now be extended to take 4 coaches plus loco, so I have plenty to keep me occupied over the winter months.

Hope to see you at the Bristol show in January,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well today I have achieved a part of the build that I was dreading, I have never installed lighting before but this building was crying out for it because of the wealth of internal detail that comes with the kit.

I went over to the Engine Shed, as Squires is shut on a Sunday and brought some Leds and resistors, I was a bit corcerned as no one in the shop knew the values of the resistors, and being as they were the only ones in the shop I had no choice.

I do not know what I was worrying about, I got them working first time. The photos were taken in the kitchen which has a lot of natural daylight, but once the sun goes down I think they will give me the look I was after.

Talking of lighting, the Engine Shed have brought out their own versions of gas or electric street/platform lamp posts and very nice they are to, the detail is fantastic, shame they are sold for 4mm. But when I gave them a closer look I thought they looked about right for 7mm, so out came the tape measure and bingo! they are roughly 13' high, so I checked a 7mm Peco version and it was exactly the same size. So for £29.95 you get 5 lamp posts and 2 wall mounted lamps as well, plus they come with the wiring and bulbs, I personally think that's pretty good valve for money. They are in at least 4 regional styles and colours, well worth a look.

post-7101-0-77817300-1476638810_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-54549100-1476638846_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 10

Martyn

That's looking good. You need to limit the current through LEDs so they don't die (a bit like Alien, nobody hears them scream) and anything from 1k upwards will probably be ok. I'm using 3k3 on most of my LEDs - dead cheap at RS, and they post them to you.

I looked for the website for The Engine Shed, as the lamps sound most useful, I need some bracket ones in particular, but I am failing - possible incompetence on my part, but if you could post a link-thingy, that would be great!

Best

Simon

I looked for the website for The Engine Shed, as the lamps sound most useful, I need some bracket ones in particular, but I am failing - possible incompetence on my part, but if you could post a link-thingy, that would be great!

I think The Engine Shed is actually Gaugemaster, but I will stand corrected.

That station building looks great Martyn, coming along nicely and a bit of lighting makes all the difference

Regards

Jinty 

Martyn

That's looking good. You need to limit the current through LEDs so they don't die (a bit like Alien, nobody hears them scream) and anything from 1k upwards will probably be ok. I'm using 3k3 on most of my LEDs - dead cheap at RS, and they post them to you.

Best

Simon

Evening Simon,

Sorry I should of made myself clearer, the lights are on the Gaugemaster website, under gaugemaster lighting and then go to pages 1 & 2, there are some lamps on wall brackets at around £12 for 2 or the 5 lamp posts and 2 wall bracket lamps for £29.95. They do oil lamps, gas or electric in SR/BR, GWR and LMS, and the SR lamp posts have the barley twist design, very nice. The wall bracket ones, they also have very fine detail just a shame they do not offer say 5 for £25.

HTH,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have almost finished the station, just some troublesome drain pipes and some weathering to finish the building off.

Then it will be back to baseboard construction and followed by some more permanent way, only this time I will not be sidelined by buildings or scenery. I will crack on until the roundy roundy joins up, famous last words.

post-7101-0-57853700-1478444518_thumb.jpg

I have a confession to make, I have always built my locos ( sometimes with a little bit of scratch building usually because some of the old kits were c**p ). But I couldn't help myself and I have gone and ordered a Dapol 08 albeit an early one in green, still I can always sell it on if the guilt becomes overwhelming....

Martyn.

• Like 14

Hi Guys,

I have a confession to make, I have always built my locos ( sometimes with a little bit of scratch building usually because some of the old kits were c**p ). But I couldn't help myself and I have gone and ordered a Dapol 08 albeit an early one in green, still I can always sell it on if the guilt becomes overwhelming....

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

from comments made elsewhere, you might even make a profit if they become as scarce as the proverbial 'hens teeth'

Nice job on the station building by the way.

cheers

Mike

Martyn,

The building looks excellent. Very nice. You said it was one of Mr Lewis'? Though if I'm being critical, the platform looks a bit glossy for my taste :)

There's nothing to be ashamed of, buying RTR... the Ixion/Minerva and earlier 85A locos are/were very good value for money, and the brass stuff seems to range from lovely to "wow!", but at a different price point, of course. If you like building locos, then build locos. If you don't, then you'll have to buy what you can, and yearn for what you can't!

I have succumbed to a Fowler, a Peckett and a second-hand Lionheart 64xx, and a couple of Minerva 57's will follow in due course... and I have a Dukedog, a 43xx and a 1361ST to build... and I just bought a crane!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Martyn,

The building looks excellent. Very nice. You said it was one of Mr Lewis'? Though if I'm being critical, the platform looks a bit glossy for my taste :)

There's nothing to be ashamed of, buying RTR... the Ixion/Minerva and earlier 85A locos are/were very good value for money, and the brass stuff seems to range from lovely to "wow!", but at a different price point, of course. If you like building locos, then build locos. If you don't, then you'll have to buy what you can, and yearn for what you can't!

I have succumbed to a Fowler, a Peckett and a second-hand Lionheart 64xx, and a couple of Minerva 57's will follow in due course... and I have a Dukedog, a 43xx and a 1361ST to build... and I just bought a crane!

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I first saw the Dapol 08 on the Lionheart stand at the Bristol show last January, and the slow running and detail was fantastic, so for £169 you can't go wrong in my opinion. Plus rule number one applies on my layout.....

Regards,

Martyn.

Lovely work Martyn, I've really enjoyed reading your thread.

7mm has such a draw, it really has presence.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the kind words, why don't you come and join us 7mm chaps, the waters lovely. : )

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Ah, the fabled 08... apparently they've been spotted ooop norf, if the regions around Warrington and Blackpool.. mind you they reckon they have dragons up there too.

Joking aside, I saw the Snow White EP running on Richard Webster's stand at Reading last year - not my thing at all, and I can't comment on the dimensions, except to say it absolutely looked the part and the quality was evident. If I wanted another weasel, from another era, I'd certainly consider it.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Well today I have achieved a part of the build that I was dreading, I have never installed lighting before but this building was crying out for it because of the wealth of internal detail that comes with the kit.

I went over to the Engine Shed, as Squires is shut on a Sunday and brought some Leds and resistors, I was a bit corcerned as no one in the shop knew the values of the resistors, and being as they were the only ones in the shop I had no choice.

I do not know what I was worrying about, I got them working first time. The photos were taken in the kitchen which has a lot of natural daylight, but once the sun goes down I think they will give me the look I was after.

Talking of lighting, the Engine Shed have brought out their own versions of gas or electric street/platform lamp posts and very nice they are to, the detail is fantastic, shame they are sold for 4mm. But when I gave them a closer look I thought they looked about right for 7mm, so out came the tape measure and bingo! they are roughly 13' high, so I checked a 7mm Peco version and it was exactly the same size. So for £29.95 you get 5 lamp posts and 2 wall mounted lamps as well, plus they come with the wiring and bulbs, I personally think that's pretty good valve for money. They are in at least 4 regional styles and colours, well worth a look.

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-DE041700-0903-46C9-91FD-8CF601F01537.JPG

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-4967EB47-FE09-4702-9D93-BE2E9CD1D9B7.JPG

ATB,

Martyn.

The cat looks very smug. Is he taking credit for the buildings?

Don

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I have a confession to make, I have always built my locos ( sometimes with a little bit of scratch building usually because some of the old kits were c**p ). But I couldn't help myself and I have gone and ordered a Dapol 08 albeit an early one in green, still I can always sell it on if the guilt becomes overwhelming...."

Me too, Martyn, and BR is not even my era!  I have always scratch-built my loco, often using a decent/reasonable kit as the basis - if you see what I mean (ie I never build the kit anything like as the designer intended and I often make additional and replacement parts) and I have more recently been succumbed to altering RTR, because I just cannot seem to leave things alone.  However, my plan is to leave the 08 just as it comes ... we shall see; the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

David

Edited by Isambarduk

"I have a confession to make, I have always built my locos ( sometimes with a little bit of scratch building usually because some of the old kits were c**p ). But I couldn't help myself and I have gone and ordered a Dapol 08 albeit an early one in green, still I can always sell it on if the guilt becomes overwhelming...."

However, my plan is to leave the 08 just as it comes ... we shall see; the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

David

Hi David,

Well I will be keeping an eye on you, and if you do decide to " interfere with the 08 " you will be my Guinea pig. : )

Regards,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

However, my plan is to leave the 08 just as it comes ... we shall see; the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

David

David,

Well I'm sorry to say this, but you will not be able to leave the vacuum pipe alone, it will gnaw at you like a rabid rat!!!!

It's about the only thing I'll be replacing on mine!!!!

Jinty ;)