Boommeer

Northpoint

Jon Gwinnett offered his existing thread (Dutch Musings) for hijacking but I thought it more honourable to start my own!

It's possible that the layout has already been seen by some as it is in the current issue of Continental Modeller, but I thought I would share it here for the benefit of those who might not have access to the magazine.

It all started about this time last year after a promise to provide a Dutch themed layout for an exhibition. Fortunately, I had already obtained some rolling stock so it wasn't as daunting as it might have been.

It is a simple layout only 8ft (2.4m) x 15 inches (38 cm) made up of 2 sections of equal length.

Inspiration came from Roodeschool on the end of a branch line from Groningen. I retained the single platform but increased the number of freight sidings.

Trackplan:

post-6943-0-20614400-1393341748_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the first shots taken when it was laregely bare wood:

post-6943-0-21614900-1393341486_thumb.jpg

Color comes to Boommeer:

post-6943-0-20556500-1393342031_thumb.jpg

Initially, I was going to use a Trix MAK...

post-6943-0-44749500-1393342199_thumb.jpg

...but as Jon showed us recently, we now have the beautiful Rocky Rail exmaple. Two of these are now sound equipped and ready to take over.

Here are some general shots:

post-6943-0-69474900-1393342280_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-79073600-1393342318_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-47833800-1393342345_thumb.jpg

Liking that, Nick! I suppose the GTW 2/6 is the one from Piko?

This reminds me of those DDM coaches from Artitec...dangerous terrain, that is...

Thanks.

It is Piko. Hopefully a sound decoder will arrive in the next couple of days ready for the show at Nottingham in about 10 days time.

I know what you mean about dangerous terrain - a DCC ready Fleischmann Hondekop arrived the other day..... ;)

Like :) However, some suggestions to improve the layout: the platform exit signal should be on the RH side of the track, there's plenty of space. The freight tracks need their own signals, but you can limit those to 3 dwarf signals, located either side of the double slip on the track crossing the main line (=fiddle-yard <-> platform) and the entry from the freight to the main. Each dwarf signal needs a auxiliary white light (permission for shunting, local points control). Despite its simplicity, a yard like that will have various signs: each buffer stop will have a stop-sign (square, white background, black outlined circle with red horizontal beam) augmented with a red light (battery powered). Further a simple box on a pole for taking control of points locally, with added sign "Bel Post T" with a 10-digit phone number underneath. It'll be located to the left of the middle tank car in your first photo, facing the back-scene. Directly after the last point, when exiting the station, should be a speed sign: green, upwards pointed triangle with black border and digit(s), on those lines up to and including 10 (=100 kph). I'd have to see if I can locate images I took ages ago of the smaller bits'n'bobs surrounding the track. I'll start a separate thread for it, don't hold yer breath though ;)

post-6943-0-39063800-1394265882_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-05214800-1394265910_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-61695700-1394265925_thumb.jpg

Very good Nick, I hadn't seen them on the pic's you'd posted earlier :)

Haven't found the images I promised yet :sorry:

I must say I cheated a bit - the signal was already there but I did the buffer stops and the speed sign after your advice..... :blush:

Dare i say it!!!,are you going to hide that magnet!!!!!!!! :stinker:

I'll get my coat

Ray

Simple answer, Ray - NO!

I know there's been a big debate elsewhere about the use of magnets, but after exhibiting with and without them, I think the operation is smoother and more relaxed for the operators with them. We all know why they're there and hopefully most people turn a blind eye. (Now everybody will prove me wrong...)

Hi Nick,

Smashing layout, it was a very pleasant surprise to it in CM when I collected it (late) just the other day.

I have to say, all these Dutch models certainly are tempting!

Magnets!?! Just a left-over from US outline modelling? (I wouldn't be without them!).

Cheers,

John E.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Great to see Boomeer at Nottingham, and thanks for letting me operate.  The sites that we were talking about at the show are;

http://doodspoor.arthurkamminga.nl/ - by a guy that walks and photos closed freight lines in the Netherlands

http://www.modellbahndecals.de/ - German and other European railways decals including the old Rupert Kreye range.

http://www.dybas.de/ -  DB and Railion wagon pictures and technical data

Hope this is of interest

Nick

• 4 months later...

Archived