What should be in a engineers / modellers tool box?

Hi,

I've been thinking that perhaps now is the time to start investing in a good set of tools to make up an engineers / modellers tool box for my future career, but it got me thinking, what tools should there by in such a tool box?

Obviously there should be stuff like a knife, files, ruler, glue etc, but what else should there be?

Personally I'm only looking for a smallish tool box (one that I can carry easily around with me), but for others it might be interesting too hear your thoughts on whatever should go into a proper tool box?

Simon

Another couple of basics - scriber and square.

If leaning towards things electrical then add a decent soldering iron between 18 and 30 watts with a selection of bits and a decent multi-meter.

I would always want to be able to measure current in addition to voltage and resistance.

A selection of insulated crimps including butts and eyelets and a suitable crimping tool always are useful, as are automatic wire strippers.

On the mechanical side, I include a small 1/4 drive socket set to 13mm with screwdriver, torx and hex bits. A 150mm adjustable wrench is good too.

A standard set of flat and cross types screwdrivers with insulated shafts and three sets of pliers - standard, cross-cut and long nosed, again insulted to 600V.

• RMweb Premium

You need two tool boxes to do either job properly in my opinion. I have always had toolboxes in fact as many as 4, house tools lump hammer bolster chisel plumbob etc car tools metric spanners half and quarter inch drive sockets etc plant fitters box three quarter and inch drive socket sets scaffy bars range of hammers AF spanners (CAT) metric combos big screwdrivers etc and a model box range of knives files glass as said tweezers soldering irons etc. 

You need two tool boxes to do either job properly in my opinion. I have always had toolboxes in fact as many as 4, house tools lump hammer bolster chisel plumbob etc car tools metric spanners half and quarter inch drive sockets etc plant fitters box three quarter and inch drive socket sets scaffy bars range of hammers AF spanners (CAT) metric combos big screwdrivers etc and a model box range of knives files glass as said tweezers soldering irons etc.

Hi,

I was thinking I may have to do something along those lines, a smaller modelling tool box to take to exhibitions with layouts, and a slightly larger one for work / other things

Simon

Razor saw

Sanding sticks

Small centre punch

Modelers' mitre block

Assortment of small scraper blades for removing unwanted mould lines or detail

Small Dremel style tool with bits

Pin chuck and mini hand drill.

Assorted small drill bits

Good quality non-misting super glue

Solvent for plastic

Small paint brushes.

A digital vernier caliper is very useful.

Hi,

I've just spent two days learning to use analogue Vernier Calipers and Micrometers, in both Metric and Imperial and I've always been told that a analogue one is superior to a digital as it stays in calibration longer. So they will both be going in the box!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've just spent two days learning to use analogue Vernier Calipers and Micrometers, in both Metric and Imperial and I've always been told that a analogue one is superior to a digital as it stays in calibration longer. So they will both be going in the box!

Simon

I use mine on the making of aerospace components and have had no complaints with accuracy. ;)

Hi,

Simon

Keep any measuring devices such as verniers and micrometers in their own little packing boxes, as to avoid any damage or knocks to keep their measuring trueness.

Hi,

Simon

I bought a cheap digital vernier from Lidl and tested it on slip gauges. Very accurate. If you want to measure accurately you really want to use an analogue micrometer because, with experience, you get the 'feel' of the micrometer on the workpiece and can achieve readings down to half a thou in imperial or 0.005 mm. When you first start using them, generally you tend to treat them like 'G' clamps and get incorrect readings. I find that analogue verniers generally, due to the thin jaws, are not so good for precision turning because they have a different feel and can deflect depending on the position of the jaws on the workpiece. They're still good to about 0.05mm though if you use them right and read them accurately.

Hi,

I thought that the digital / analogue comment might start a debate, but if people have been happy with a digital Vernier, that's fine with me, I don't doubt it, but personally, I'll be purchasing an analogue one as I prefer using them anyway.

Blimey, we are getting quite a list now, keep them coming!

Simon

I would not be able to get everything in a tool box or even two.  By the time I fill it with a dozen different pliers, three types of bending bars, two rollers two sizes of pillar drills. three soldering irons, two soldering stands, three large spools of varying solders, two bench lights. Various bottles of acids and cleaners. four types of adhesives.  At least thirty various files. Five types of tweezers. three boxes of jewellers screw drivers.  Boxes of drills of all sizes, Two boxes of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, split pins, rivets. Plus many more items to list. Plus all that has already been mentioned in the above posts.

Can I manage without any of the above, noooo.

Next question?  :sarcastichand:

I would not be able to get everything in a tool box or even two.  By the time I fill it with a dozen different pliers, three types of bending bars, two rollers two sizes of pillar drills. three soldering irons, two soldering stands, three large spools of varying solders, two bench lights. Various bottles of acids and cleaners. four types of adhesives.  At least thirty various files. Five types of tweezers. three boxes of jewellers screw drivers.  Boxes of drills of all sizes, Two boxes of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, split pins, rivets. Plus many more items to list. Plus all that has already been mentioned in the above posts.

Can I manage without any of the above, noooo.

Next question?  :sarcastichand:

I have about six modelling toolboxes in the collection, with different purposes. There's one for screwdrivers, nut runners, etc, another for measuring and marking out, one for cutting and 'Dremeling', etc.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned THE MOST IMPORTANT tool in any toolkit/box yet......

A pencil

Always kept next to the knife that sharpens it!

A pencil will never run out of ink, get to wet or to dry, will work upside down and write on most surfaces.

As for tool kits and their contents, good luck with that! When I left school 15 years ago I had nothing, in those years I've managed to amass SEVEN different tool kits for different things. I have my roller-cab with my car tools, 11 drawers and 5ft tall. I have a kit on my boat with specific tools. I have spraying tools, modelling tools, heavy tools, all kept separate and used for very different jobs.

And even after 15 years and thousands of pounds spent on every kind of tool you can imagine, I still find I don't have the 'right' tools for some jobs!

Mark

Can't believe nobody has mentioned THE MOST IMPORTANT tool in any toolkit/box yet......

A pencil

Always kept next to the knife that sharpens it!

A pencil will never run out of ink, get to wet or to dry, will work upside down and write on most surfaces.

As for tool kits and their contents, good luck with that! When I left school 15 years ago I had nothing, in those years I've managed to amass SEVEN different tool kits for different things. I have my roller-cab with my car tools, 11 drawers and 5ft tall. I have a kit on my boat with specific tools. I have spraying tools, modelling tools, heavy tools, all kept separate and used for very different jobs.

And even after 15 years and thousands of pounds spent on every kind of tool you can imagine, I still find I don't have the 'right' tools for some jobs!

Mark

Hang on a second.... The pencil goes behind the ear, not in the tool box. ;)

Archived