Nile

Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Another, Smaller, Horsebox

I acquired a Parkside LNER horse box kit the other day so I can chop it up into one of these. Thanks for the ideas.

Not a modelling update as such, but I have been editing the first post of this topic and it now has an almost complete index of my various projects here. It goes up to page 30, I shall try to keep it reasonably up to date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Very useful, thank you Neil.  I've already discovered a topic I'd missed!

Tony

On 28/04/2019 at 16:56, Nile said:

Not a modelling update as such, but I have been editing the first post of this topic and it now has an almost complete index of my various projects here. It goes up to page 30, I shall try to keep it reasonably up to date.

They all look splendid as ever Nile. 

I was wondering if I might be cheeky and ask if you have any Parkside Southern parcels van ventilator hoods spare? I know yours were built in SECR condition, and therefore probably didn't use any from the kit. Only asking as I lost the hoods from my BSL Maunsell which I'm renovating and they look to be perfect for the task. 

Keep up the good work! 

Alex 

No sign of them in my bits box so I must have thrown them out. I tend to only keep the useful (to me) parts, like brakes.

That's understandable, I do much the same. Thanks for looking, though!

Very ingenious Nile! True to form. More LMWR blue stock I assume?

• Thanks 1

Having proved the concept I'm building another one using the rest of the bits from the kit. With this one I shall go into a bit more detail of its construction.

The sides and floor (half the original) were glued together with a new bulkhead of 40thou plastic card. The curved top was cut using an original end as a guide. Seen to the left is a new end - planked plastikard underneath with black 20thou plastic card on top, it's made to fit into the end like the original would have.

31.JPG.b92caf72af8ad58bbdcd4fef06821fd9.JPG

Because the floor is shorter than the modified sides there is gap at the other end that needs filling. This was done with some 40thou plastic card.

32.JPG.7f0f094761fb7fb032f8e2f217d6d4bf.JPG

The other end is similar to the first, but it sits on the end rather than within it. Some 30x30 thou strips sit either side.

33.JPG.06b9a64d8f2e9432aaf3e337e47cb8c3.JPG

Glued onto the end.

34.JPG.2e5da15cfa02d595d0146e86c9ae2ef8.JPG

I added another bulkhead with the same roof profile to help support the roof, eventually. I had to add a bit to the first one as it turned out to be about 0.5mm too low.

35.JPG.9de7143f61548010daf8ab16ecc21569.JPG

Finally for now a seat to go in the end compartment. Not the most detailed, but it can hardly be seen.

36.JPG.ed6f7da79a8bd41c8c08d08f24fd9cc3.JPG

Edited by Nile
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Onto the chassis. The starting point was a Red Panda Models kit of a BR 10' wb fitted chassis. The solebars were shortened by cutting off the ends beyond the springs. The photo below shows front and rear views. On the back (of both) I've added a 20thou strip. I've found this necessary to set the chassis to the correct width for Allan Gibson wheels and bearings. On the front I've filled in the channel with plastic strip to make it look like a wooden chassis. The small holes in the w-irons were filled with some micro-rod.

37.JPG.d7aa46b1ca8181ec4dcef1447c095358.JPG

Various chassis bits glued to the underside of the floor, with new headstock of 40thou plastic. The brake shoe units needed a bit of trimming to fit, even after some of the ribs on the floor underside were removed.

38.JPG.a463af05d3fcc8f687a07969fd344d03.JPG

A representation of the brake rigging was made up from bits of micro-rod and strip.

39.JPG.1624fef2b497b6711c405e63939d751c.JPG

The part on the cross shaft is actually two halves glued together around it.

40.JPG.8df7ae2135981da93ac708542f172ce8.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

End detailing. The human compartment end is a lot busier than the other end. As well as the steps and handrails there is the communication alarm indicators. The vertical rod in the middle is part of this and will link with the vacuum pipe eventually when it is fitted after painting. The buffers are LNWR type from Wizard.

41.JPG.e807382e4db270b0b320025aea52b972.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On one of your wagon detailing threads you show a very nice brake lever and ratchet etch, I liked the very fine holes for the lever peg. whose etch was it please?  As I have some early wagons to detail which need single blocks per side. 

Mic

Hi Mike, I've had a look in my box of wagon bits and found these from Wizard models.

MM183729.JPG.fb852c7b0fca6888fa3cbf0d53e741f6.JPG

MM183730.JPG.655173a8a0d5eb5739c5dd6cd04507a9.JPG

There are other makes available, such as Bill Bedford, that need the holes drilled out. That also applies to the last wagon kit I built, the SER coal wagon.

• Like 5

Nile, thank you so much very helpful. I shall order some on Monday. Help is so freely given on RM Web.

Mic

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Page 33.

I've only just seen that gorgeous green loco you did from one of my designs.  I wish you showed me earlier!

Great job. 

Edited by Knuckles

Oops, I thought I had. I started it a long time ago, so must have forgot.

• Like 1

They really do look splendid.  You have a nack for making the best out of WSF.  Would you be ok if I used some of these pictures as promo shots?  Ok if not but they'd look good. :)

• Thanks 1

Yes, go ahead.

Meanwhile, some progress on the horse boxes.

42.JPG.d03911c96f2e9c292cb736435bef2723.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2019 at 21:28, Nile said:

Amazing steam locomotive, Sir! Judging by WMR on the tender, it stands for West Midlands Railway like the company going through my hometown right now.

Have you thought about a WMR Mogul?

• Thanks 1