Elveden Road Depot

Heinz57

Thanks chaps for your kind comments on the layout. Glad you like it!

21/09/2014 - A day at Etches Park

Etches Park Depot hosted its first, and hugely anticipated open day last weekend. Not only did I attend, but I was privileged to be able to exhibit my layout there. There was only six layouts there (including mine), so I was quite lucky to be able to do so.

The day was fantastic, the layout got many positive reviews. Being based on an East Midlands Trains owned depot made it all the more special. Even staff from EMT who were walking past on there daily duties stopped to look at the layout. Below are a few photos of the layout in operation that day.

post-12330-0-47015900-1411336173_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-81914000-1411336178_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-98529100-1411336183_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-30526700-1411336189_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-69618700-1411336194_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-35033000-1411336199_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-92081100-1411336204_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-93624300-1411336210_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-47224100-1411336216_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-64783300-1411336220_thumb.jpg

Exhibiting an East Midlands Trains depot themed layout at an actual East Midlands Trains depot is quite an experience. What a way to debut the layout into its exhibitions!

I'd like to thank Simon and Shaun for giving up many hours of there spare time to help me get the layout ready for the show, and for of course helping me operate it that day. And thank you to Simon for transporting it!

Also I'd like to thank East Midlands Trains for their hospitality that day.

So what now?

Now the celebrations are over with, and the excitement of last weekend has worn off, its time to get back down to business. I have a list as long as both arms of things to do with the layout. Firstly there's the technical issues that the exhibition unraveled. During the day I had a few issues with board joins and some uncoupling magnets not set right, these have all been sorted. There are a few wiring related issues that I want to sort out too. I noticed that a few of the switched frogs on the points started to show dead spots. I have always had a few of these issues from the start, but I am now starting to have them on points I didn't before. So these need sorting ASAP.

As you can imagine, spending the day in the depot gave a mountain of details I can add. One change in particular is the addition of a wheel lathe building. I will be adding this at the end of the run around, near the office building. I have also decided to extend the fuel point siding, I will be almost doubling it in length and adding a second fuel point, to allow me to shunt and fuel HST power cars. Additionally, I will be connecting the back two stabling tracks to the main layout with a cross over. Which will let me do the latter without using the fiddle yard or taking any stock off the layout. These are the most major changes I will be making, there are many many others, too many to list here. So stay tuned for future updates to see these.

Finally, here are a few bonus night time shots of the layout...

post-12330-0-68958100-1411336497_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-37312700-1411336505_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-70326100-1411336512_thumb.jpg

These photos were taken by Simon during one of our evening test sessions at the club room prior to exhibiting at Etches. Awesome photos!

That's about all for now, I hope you like the photos of the layout in action. I'll see you in the next update,

Heinz

Edited by Heinz57
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Mat : Layout looks fantastic, my favourite photoshot has to be that guy relaxing in the armchair on the roof of the mini, its a real shame he's not motorised or maybe a fibre optic cigarette in his mouth.

Snitzl

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

26/03/2014 - A slow winter

Its been a very long while since I have last updated - Sorry about that. It's been a very busy few months for me, we had a busy Christmas at work and then I received a promotion and transfer in Feb. A very hectic time! Anyway, enough about that, onto the layout!

The last update I spoke about the visit to Etches Park (which seems an age ago now) and what I plan to do with the layout next. A few weeks after Etches the layout visited the Wirksworth Show in October, which was a very successful weekend, there was little trouble to note with the layout and it seemed to go down well with the viewing public. Between the two shows not much work was carried out, instead I spent some time investigating the issues that arose at Etches, it turns out maybe I was exaggerating the issues because during testing there weren't any. We gave the layout a good hammering and no issues to speak of. Maybe it was first show teething problems? What I did do was extend the fuel point, the track is now long enough to fit two HST power cars, I still need to link the back stabling tracks with the main layout but I'll talk about that later. Also, the stabling track beside the main depot building now has a new purpose, it is here where the toilets are emptied and the water re-filled on the coaches. I have added a concrete walkway to reflect this. The photos below show these two alterations and the depot buildings that Shaun kindly finished for me in time for Etches Park....

post-12330-0-78098300-1427397990_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-47439600-1427397997_thumb.jpg

The fuel point. I still need to re-build the fuel tanks.

post-12330-0-42682800-1427398002_thumb.jpg

Coolant and waste tanks, based upon similar ones seen at Etches Park.

post-12330-0-87964700-1427398008_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-25144700-1427398015_thumb.jpg

The sheds.

post-12330-0-71579300-1427398021_thumb.jpg

The emptying tracks. More detail still to be added.

After Wirksworth, any work on the layout dried up. I lost all motivation to actually do anything. I started work on adding the new lathe shed, when trying to rip up the track and ballast I quickly found that it wasn't coming up without a fight, so I did it the easy way and decided to scrap the entire board and re-build it. This meant I could start with a clean slate and lay the tracks to suit the lathe. Rather than having to bodge it together. This is where work stopped, it took me roughly two months to lay the five straight tracks and two points this board has. At the same time I was working on the lathe shed itself, which I started in October, come the end of the month I stopped and haven't touched it since. I don't have any photos of this, simply because there isn't anything to photo. I have started to get back into this board again now and I have started to build the inspection pit for the lathe shed (again no photos), when building this I made a few changes to the design so I will have to completely re-build the shed I started on back in October.

The past week or so I have been working on another little project with Simon, we have been re-building the office block. It was apparent that the old building looked somewhat like a car show room with its bright lights and empty interior, and it simply didn't look right at the front of the layout. So we are re-doing it with a detailed interior. The few progress shots below show what we have been up to...

post-12330-0-53895100-1427398027_thumb.jpg

The office building, looks a lot better now than it did before!

And with the lights turned on...

post-12330-0-11807000-1427398033_thumb.jpg

Not bad eh?

Finally, big news! Elveden Road was photographed for BRM last November, a big thanks to Andy York for coming along to take the photos. It is set to appear in the next issue of BRM along with Simon's depiction of Nottingham Station.

Thanks for taking the time to read this update, and I hope you like the article in BRM!

Heinz

Edited by Heinz57
  • Like 3

Guest 34008Padstow

Not sure how i missed this as its a fantastic layout. Also goes to show that not all depots have to be the same cliche.

• 2 weeks later...

**STOP PRESS**

ELVEDEN ROAD APPEARS IN BRM!

I am pleased to say that Elveden Road is in the current issue of BRM (MAY 2015)

It appears along side Simon's London Road layout as sort of a East Midlands layout special feature.

The article looks great and Andy York's photos look fantastic!

I look forward to hearing what you guys think to it!

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

05-08-2015 - We're getting somewhere!

Wow its been a long while since I last updated. How things have changed on the layout since my last post. I have stripped quite a bit of the old scenery back including all the ballast and I'm progressing well with the rebuild...

The first bit of work I will mention is the completion of the office block. This was finished probably a week after my last post. All the walls were finished and glazed with the brickwork lightly weatherd. The roof constructed and any last bits of painting completed...

post-12330-0-65586300-1438786759_thumb.jpg

Also here is the new office building with its predesessor, for comparitive purposes

post-12330-0-57693200-1438786753_thumb.jpg

The new baseboard has been completed with the lathe pit being installed, all wiring being completed and the backscene being addembled. The structure of the backscene is much more sturdy than the previous board, which was prone to being damaged.

post-12330-0-35793700-1438786741_thumb.jpg

The first major change to the layout is ALL of the ballast on the layout has been stripped. I was never happy with the ballasting, although the finish of the chippings was good, the glue never truley 'took' and it was constantly crumbling (even after saturating the entire layout in glue), I kept having to 'patch' it up and re-spray the weathering to try and blend it in. This resulted in the weathering being far too heavy and just not looking right.

post-12330-0-37258000-1438786735_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-11521600-1438786748_thumb.jpg

After stripping the ballast back I laid the new crossover that links the stabling tracks with the main section of the layout.

post-12330-0-77773500-1438786765_thumb.jpg

I have also started to lay the new pavements. The first was a sort of access path to the lathe shed.

post-12330-0-82344300-1438786772_thumb.jpg

The above photo is the most recent one I have of the layout, since taking this photo I have completed all pavements along the layout.

I hope to update a bit sooner than I did with this one!

Cheers,

Heinz

Edited by Heinz57
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Elveden Road is going back on the road!

This November Elveden Road is going back on tour, so far we have four exhibition appearances confirmed between November 2015 and November 2016, with more dates to be added.

14th November 2015 - Weston on Trent Model Railway Show

13th - 14th February 2016 - British Festival of Railway Modeling, Doncaster

28th February 2016 - Ilkeston Woodside Model Railway Show, Trowel

6th November 2016 - Midland Railex, Burton-Upon-Trent

post-12330-0-42645200-1440931592.jpg

There is still much work to be done before then, but refurbishment of the layout is progressing well. Stay tuned to this topic for more updates!

Heinz

Background photo courtesy of Andy York

EDIT 04/09/2015 - Date for Weston on Trent corrected, I'd written the wrong one down. The show will be on 14th November NOT the 21st. Sorry all!

Edited by Heinz57
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

Sorry about the quiet time on the blog.

I have done quite a bit of work on the layout since I last posted. Firstly all the paved areas across the layout has been completed, that's the area where the office building sits, the entrance gates and the pavement stretching all the way down the layout to the depot at the other end. Plus all of this and the road has been painted (just need to do markings around the car park). I have also ballasted the layout and finished the lathe shed building. So yeah, quite a bit of work.

I hope to post a proper update soon but I'm on that much of a roll I keep forgetting to take photos. But I'll do one soon, I promise!

Stay tuned!

Heinz

• 3 weeks later...

27/10/15 - 'Several Shades of Grey'

Hi Guys,

Firstly let me apologize to the regular viewers about the lack of updates on here. I have been quity busy with stuff both to do with and not to do with the layout which prevented me from finding enough time to post an update.

Anyhoo, onto the progress...

post-12330-0-12204300-1445983164_thumb.jpg

Firstly all the paving was completed. The pavement is simple 1.5mm plasticard cut to shape and stuck down using 'No More Nails'. This includes the access walkway from the main yard to the lathe area. Note that the pavement is slightly different this time around, by the fact that it actually carries on all the way from the car park to the hard standing outside the depots at the other end. Note that this photo was taken prior to the painting being completed, at this stage only the base coat on the pavements and road had been completed.

post-12330-0-99408600-1445983171_thumb.jpg

I also spent quite a bit of time away from the layout itself completing the lathe shed. Here is the main structure completed being tested on the layout. The windows are all masked up ready for painting.

post-12330-0-80967600-1445983179_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-29914100-1445983188_thumb.jpg

Quite possibly the biggest step was finishing the ballasting. This is a task I hate by all accounts so imagine my joy when it was finally completed. I suppose it is a little ironic someone who dislikes ballasting so much deciding to take the lot up and re ballast the layout? But it had to be done, some of you may remember me talking about how much the ballasting was crumbling before. So many patching jobs and trying to touch up the weathering had completely ruined the effect plus the addition of a new board meant it just had to be done. After this the hard standing was painted, a big shout out to Shaun here for completing this for me. Shaun created some great effects using an interesting mix of greys, greens and whatever other colors he could lay his hands on to create a realistic and weathered looking finish. The second photo shows the fuel point area all painted up and awaiting details to be stuck back down. Note the choice in a slightly different shade to the hard standing here

post-12330-0-75574200-1445983195_thumb.jpg

The lathe area was completed using a different shade again. After this I then masked off what would be the inside of the shed and painted this up. Simon then completed the second coat. Note how we only chose to give the floor a second coat, the pit was left as it is because we think it gives it an almost weathered and dirty look.

post-12330-0-42472700-1445983201_thumb.jpg

The shed has also been painted up. I went for a slightly off white color for the metal cladding and the block work inside, this is as per the lathe shed at Etches Park which I took a bit of inspiration from. I then toned it down by dry brushing a bit of Pheonix Paints 'Roof Dirt' here and there. The fascias and doors were done in a dark blue to go with the office building. Interior lighting was also added.

post-12330-0-11908300-1445983209_thumb.jpg

Next up a bit of progress has been made on the bridge. I had to repaint all the sides to match up with the supports on the layout which had been previously repainted. Then because too much paint seeped under I had to repaint the road again. After this because the masking tape is a load of rubbish the sides has to be done AGAIN! After I'd finished messing around with the paint I then wired and fitted street lights. Because the bridge is removable I also constructed this little wooden crate to keep it in. I didn't have one of these previously but because I never got around to finishing it last time around it didn't matter so much. But now it is, it does. The bridge fits in nicely and I use a bit of bubble wrap to protect the bridge. This photo shows the freshly painted bridge with lights fitted awaiting sign gantry and road markings sat inside the new crate.

With just under three weeks to go now until the show date work on the layout is motoring ahead and even more progress has been done on the layout since these photos were taken. Such jobs include fitting of the ground signals, details to the fuel point and full completion of the road bridge. Some of the other jobs I plan to do this week are fit armco barrier and finish the car park area, plus others. I plan to get another update out before the show so please do keep an eye out to see the completion of the above jobs and many many more.

Cheers,

Heinz

• Like 2