Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

Why would it need etching  they seem to be rectangular sheets, 0.010" brass could be cut with a heavy duty craft knife. The holes you can drill as you did for the panels anyway.

Problem with that is I dont like drilling metal if I can avoid it.  Thats why all my metal parts are either lasercut or etched.  Ive also never been very good at hand cutting metal sheet.

It wouldve been interesting having it in 1/4 mil stainless though.  Would make a strong body.  

• RMweb Premium

What livery are you painting yours in?  Do you know if the footboards were body colour or unpainted?

Black with illiterate symbols, per the photo on the L&Y Soc website. I've just this evening done the lettering with HMRS pressfix transfers and home-made numberplates, though I don't have the "G. BRAKE FIRE EXTR" lettering. As to the footboards (and wooden footboards in general) I think it's impossible to tell. Other modellers seem to be happy to go with black (google "l&y brake vans"). Preserved carriages by and large have black footboards but would they have remained so in regular use?

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20180330_201449-1.jpgattachicon.gif20180330_201505-1.jpgattachicon.gif20180330_201520-1.jpg

Interior is coming along.

I need to get the lamp sockets sorted out.

There seem to be different arrangements for the side lamps - the fixed housings, like the ones I made following the photo, or more conventional brackets just to the left of each door. I presume you are working from the drawings in Noel Coates, Lancashire & Yorkshire Wagons Vol. 2 (Wild Swan, 2006), especially the rather nice cut-away drawing of the interior? I have to say, I'm not bothering with the interior in 4 mm scale!

There seem to be different arrangements for the side lamps - the fixed housings, like the ones I made following the photo, or more conventional brackets just to the left of each door. I presume you are working from the drawings in Noel Coates, Lancashire & Yorkshire Wagons Vol. 2 (Wild Swan, 2006), especially the rather nice cut-away drawing of the interior? I have to say, I'm not bothering with the interior in 4 mm scale!

I have been working from the cutaways.

Oddly, all known photos of D21s are on the same side, so I dont know what side the offside lamp socket should be.

I could probably try to make the fixed lamp, but then Ill have to cut into the wall. Do you know when were they replaced?

• RMweb Premium

I have been working from the cutaways.

Oddly, all known photos of D21s are on the same side, so I dont know what side the offside lamp socket should be.

I could probably try to make the fixed lamp, but then Ill have to cut into the wall. Do you know when were they replaced?

D##n! I had assumed both sides were the same! Looking at the cut-away drawing it seems to make sense that they should both be at the brake end of the van. 

I know no more than is in Noel Coates' book - in fact less, it turns out. I'll just have to be careful which way round I put mine.

Well perhaps this will help you.

A pain to solder up, but if I decide to make some lamps for it, I have functional mounts.

post-21863-0-18808200-1522520917_thumb.jpg

Working on those strange door window inserts now. I believe they were sash windows that would drop into the door, but as no photos show glass in place, I dont know!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

Wow. Over 2 months. Well Im not dead, just cant be bothered with the uploading of one photo at a time.

But in the meantime I "finished" the Tintab.

post-21863-0-21751300-1528571631_thumb.jpg

And I finished a L&Y D1

post-21863-0-36195000-1528571664_thumb.jpg

And I won on ebay a 1/24th 1.5" gauge scratchbuilt loco.

post-21863-0-41506300-1528571708_thumb.jpg

Its pretty big, but oddly had a speaker wired almost directly to track power, and was wired for straight DC. There was a couple capacitors and an unknown componenet wired in series with the speaker.

Has anyone ever seen such an arrangement? On power, the speaker just hummed in between the crackling of a cheap, probably decades old speaker.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Lovely work. Why only one photo at a time? You might need to click next to where you upload and get the full uploader. Will do ten at a time even on mobile.

On my phone, running the web browser, I have no option for a "full uploader", only the one at a time one. Im not sure what youre refering to.

On my phone I get the choice. Both on Google and Firefox. Just click on where it says try our advanced uploader.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180610-124631.png

According to mine, it says "having problems uploading, try the simpler one" so I assume Im already using it. Im unable, on my phone or iPad, to select more than one photo at a time.

So pick one photo, click "attach file", wait for it to upload, then start again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Im keeping myself busy.

For a while Ive wanted to build an American locomotive to Gauge 3 standards, a scale that is almost dead in the US.  There is ONE other person building American G3 currently.  

And now I am the second.

Currently all CAD work, but there is still a lot more to be designed.  

Ive chosen a prototype of the Rogers built Union Pacific 119, built in 1868.  Why? Because the Promontory Point historical site sells all the engineering drawings from the loco's reconstruction in the 70s.  So with over 300 drawings for 119 I have a lot on my plate.

Eventually, it will have lasercut steel frames, cast and turned wheels, 3D printed boiler and domes, and wooden cab.  The tender will be built similarly, although I might go with lasercut steel for its body. 

But so far, I have quite a bit of the loco modeled in 3D CAD.  

post-21863-0-28525800-1530478101_thumb.png

My computer is already struggling with only 73 parts.  

What have I gotten myself into...

• Like 3

Not a live steamer then?

Cant be bothered with live steam.  Its pretty and all, but you never get good control in smaller scales without resorting to some form of hidden gearing.  Also all the machining work required when I dont have a shop.

How did you get the fluting on top of the dome? The Pensnett Railway E B Wilsons (which I'm quite interested in) had this feature also

P.S thats a lovely mineral engine

The fluting was done as an 18 degree section and then rotated around its centerpoint 20 times.  The curved face proved difficult due to the end conditions not really lining up with where it needed to go.  I really should have made the reference planes tangental to the curved profile but I didnt think of it at the time. 

post-21863-0-08672700-1530539288.png

• Like 2

Quick progress.

Although the loco will be battery RC, Im adding functional valve gear which will be controllable from the cab because the valve gear is such a dominant part of exposed chassis.  

post-21863-0-36268900-1530763001_thumb.png

Still have to start on the engine truck at some point.  Im pretty sure this loco uses a swing link bogie but I could be wrong.  

• Like 2

Ive got the motion all finished.  Its very satisfying playing with it in the simulation.  

post-21863-0-10098100-1530930220_thumb.png

Ive started on the engine truck and have hit a bit of a mystery

post-21863-0-96285600-1530930233.png

View is of the right side with forward to the right.  

I have no assembly drawings that show the forked part and the bar hanging down towards the front.  The only reference I have of it going like that is a side view line drawing which obscures most of the detail and intuition based on hole patterns and slot tolerances.  

Ive yet to model a brace that would cross directly between the mystery parts.  

So how are they supposed to link?  I can see if they were sprung together it would act as a self centering device, bringing the bogie back to face forward and stay neutral to the frame when on straight track.  

Does anyone know the anatomy of swing link bogies and if Ive somehow missed a crucial drawing.  Im pretty sure I havent as Ive searched through the entire thing.  

• Like 1

Well a quick update as I hadnt the time last night to post it.

Taken a break from the loco to work on the tender.

I expect most of it to be made up of lasercut steel.  But Ive got the bogies mostly finished 

post-21863-0-22474500-1531489181_thumb.png

Still have to figure out the springing arrangement on the trucks.  Isnt particularly clear on the plans.  

• Like 2

Been working on the cab design.

Quick mockup to test fit with the loco.

post-21863-0-51579400-1531835150_thumb.png

And all the parts.  

post-21863-0-72622600-1531835155.png

All parts are intended to be 1mm lasercut wood in 3 layers to beef up the structure and allow for windows and trim mouldings.  

Does anyone know someone who would be able to lasercut 1mm wood sheet?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten to update...again

But since the last update...

post-21863-0-58109600-1535493379.pngpost-21863-0-35194700-1535493387_thumb.png

Ive finalized the design of the American type.

post-21863-0-17393000-1535493288_thumb.jpg

Gotten 400 USD worth of 3D printed parts with another 300 on the way.

post-21863-0-34416200-1535493330_thumb.jpg

Had brass etches done which mostly contain the tender tank components and assorted details and begun work on the flares.

post-21863-0-70383300-1535493307_thumb.jpg

And the working headlight with removable lighted reflector which works via sprung wire contacts.

post-21863-0-21979000-1535493345_thumb.jpg

Painted a figure to be the guard in my L&Y brake van.

post-21863-0-77526300-1535493359_thumb.jpg

And made some assorted items for his van.

And soon I will have the lasercut steel parts which will make the chassis and the wood to send off to a lab to lasercut for a very reasonable fee.

Ive also just gotten word from my brass caster that the driver centers are soon to be made, and Im waiting on Walsall Models to finish up the carrying wheels.

I hate this part of modelling. The waiting for parts to come.

But Ive been taking time off more designing (although I have already drawn up a G3 boxcar to go along with my American) and been focusing on some ebay selling.

Hopefully it doesnt take another month to post again, but I do tend to forget.

• Like 3