Dave F's 00 layout - S & C a bit like Armathwaite

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

The brake van has now been built - or perhaps I should say cobbled together.  Like a lot of early etched brass kits some bits didn't fit very well.

On folding up the body I discovered one side is very slightly longer than the other, checking back on one  built many years ago I found the same problem had occurred.  The axlebox and spring castings weren't too good either.

So rather than do a detailed account I just built it and photographed it this morning.  There are still things to do, including straightening the handrails and a bit of general tidying up of rough bits and touching up paint.

Running on the layout it looks OK from about 4' away.

post-5613-0-76188200-1437297822_thumb.jpg

I also built a Parkside kit at the same time.

post-5613-0-01926400-1437297908_thumb.jpg

It doesn't usually take as long to build relatively simple wagons, other "important" things kept getting in the way.

David

Edited to correct the obligatory spelling mistake.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

David,

Having just stumbled upon this thread, may I just say how delightful it is! Just screams MR and is so nice to see elderly kits built so well and still earning their keep.

I have to say that it actually appears that you are a very talented artist, as not only are your pictures taken with an eye to your full sized ones, but you have painted and lined your stock so well.

More I say!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

The next job is to relay the hidden loops and sidings.  At the moment they are laid direct on to the Sundeala, the noise the trains make annoys me so I have bought some Woodland Scenics Underlay.  So far all the trains have been moved to the scenic part of the line, in due course the hidden track will be relaid, but as with the brake vans other things are slowing me down.

Once I get started it shouldn't take too long, all I have to do is remove the track pins, slide the underlay in place and re pin the track and then realign the point motors.

I just hope it is as simple as it sounds.

David

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd almost forgotten about this thread, it is time to bring it up to date with what may be a sad ending to some of you.

Over the past two years the hidden sidings were relaid and realigned which made for much better running and scenic work continued.  About 24 extra wagons were constructed, some being old Peco wagon kits.

The layout has been run a lot and has been very reliable, I had about one derailment per running session, usually my own fault.

For most of the last two years I have had had a painful neck and shoulder with a  nerve which sometimes gets trapped which has made going up and down loft ladders less than enjoyable on bad days.  It is probably a result of a car accident over 40 years ago.  Fortunately it is very slowly improving.  

I've also found that I actually prefer working on my 0 gauge Midland Railway layout, set pre WW1 and my n gauge layout, set in Switzerland, which can be worked with stock suitable for periods from the late 70s to the late 90s.

So two weeks ago I decided that the time had come to close the 00 layout and dispose of the stock.  Today the stock was sold and it has gone to its new temporary home with a trader.

In the next few weeks the track will be lifted and the scenery removed, followed by dismantling the baseboards.  Then the loft will revert to being just a storage area.

Meanwhile work continues on the 0 gauge while the n gauge (which doesn't have a thread yet) is to be extended and partly rebuilt.

Perhaps I should mention that the 0 gauge and n gauge layouts are in the same room as both my computer and modelling  table.  In most houses it would be thought of as a spare room, for use by visitors.  If I have relatives or friends to stay I arrange for them to stay in  a local hotel, it works much better for all concerned.  

It seems strange not having any 00 stock for the first time since I was a small child over 60 years ago but feel it is the right decision.  By the time I had carried the stock boxes down the loft ladder I was pleased I was doing it now not in (say) 5 years time when I would be in my 70s.  It was quite hard work.

David