Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ian Hollis

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

It is with profound regret that I report  the passing of Ian Hollis.

Ian was a modeller of the highest degree, as borne witness by his layout 'Alkham' which found favour at many exhibitions up & down the country.  

Ian was a member of Wight Model Railway Group, and had strong affiliations with other model railway clubs, and modellers around the UK. 

I, and many others, had the honour & privilege of assisting Ian with Alkham, and whilst doing so, gained an insight into the man, and his methods.

It might be said that Ian was not the largest of people, but his lack of physical stature belied the person beneath. Educated, erudite, articulate & generous were just some of his qualities, topped off with a large helping of dry wit & deadpan humour. Ian was a staunch advocate of all things South Eastern, and Alkham remains as a visible reminder to his dedication. 

Our deepest condolences go to his wife, Steph, and their extended family.

I must admit I could not recall "Alkham" but I have just searched on here for it and the modelling is fantastic. A fine tribute to a wonderful modeller. The buildings remind me of the work of Peter Goss of "Rowlands Castle" fame and that's some complement to any modeller.

R.I.P. Ian.

Archived