Ideas for a B12 chassis

I picked up a 70s Hornby B12 today for the princely sum of £1. The body is pretty much knackered, but it runs nicely. I'd like to use it as the basis for another scratch building project but I'm unsure what I could use it for. I model BR steam era in Yorkshire, so ex LMS and LNER. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be good to go under?

Thanks

Ed

It's a fairly crude thing, and I wouldn't have thought it justified making cylinders, valve gear etc for it, so I'd suggest an inside cylindered prototype. How about an ex- LNWR Prince of Wales 4-6-0 or 4-6-2T?

Ed

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look into them and see what takes my fancy. At the price I wasn't going to leave it there and I'm really starting to get into scratch building now so this should be a fun project.

Margate B12 had the same chassis as the loco drive Margate A3 of the 60's. Wheelbase was a scale 7'3" + 7'3". In the B12 the drive was on the leading axle on the chassis was reversed the drive being on the trailing axle. Other than bolted on attachments the main difference was the wheel size.   

Although the coupled wheelbase isn't right, and you would need to find some 22mm drivers; (is there another Triang Hornby product with this diameter, or would that be a Markits replacement job?) if a dead Mainline or Bachmann split chassis B1 can be found as adonor of parts, the B16/3 is perhaps a possibility? It is in all but name a 5'8" wheel B1 built on B16 frames.The B16 and developments is a key loco for late BR mainline steam in Yorkshire.

Some fantastic ideas, I particularly like the idea of the large tankk engines. How hard is it to swap wheels on a Hornby chassis? I've never tried it before, but I'll give it a go

You can still get axles for Romford/Markits wheels to suit the old Triang-Hornby chassis. IIRC they're 9/64" diameter. There's both plain ones & knurled ones for mounting the gear wheel. Dave Cleal at Mainly Trains (usual disclaimer) stocks them, & he also does suitable replacement coupling rods, as I recall.

The GCR 2-6-4 is designed for a Jinty chassis, though. 

I have been able to use a B12 chassis as-supplied under an LNER B4 'Immingham' before now.  I've also rewheeled one with Black 5 wheels for an LNER B5 fish.  If you want to be really adventurous you could remove the rear axle, add a trailing pony and use it for a 'Jersey Lily' or Ivatt atlantic. 

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

I tried the Ivatt Atlantic, I did get it to run, but the Tri-Ang wheels don't help the look and the boiler is far to small, I'm going to try again with a 'Castle' chassis and a scratchbuilt body.

mannapost-19471-0-54281200-1397258981_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 7 years later...
On 12/04/2014 at 00:30, manna said:

G'Day Gents

I tried the Ivatt Atlantic, I did get it to run, but the Tri-Ang wheels don't help the look and the boiler is far to small, I'm going to try again with a 'Castle' chassis and a scratchbuilt body.

mannapost-19471-0-54281200-1397258981_thumb.jpg

Nice model. You could always make it as the Ivatt C1 small boiler Atlantic No. 990 Henry Oakley as that is the only one of this class that was named and since preserved at the NRM.

• Thanks 1