GEM Caledonian Railway 'Cardean' kit

Hi All,

Hoping to obtain a bit of help with this kit.

Many years ago in my teens I built one of these kits and fitted it to a Triang B12 chassis as intended.

About 3 years ago I decided i'd like to recreated the model from my youth and after a long search I was lucky enough to buy a complete unstarted kit from a modeller in Australia.

As my skills have naturally improved substantially over the years I will now be able to complete the model to a far higher standard than all those years ago.

I have purchased the etched chassis now available for a LNWR loco that GEM also made to fit the old B12 chassis as I know that with  only small modifications that the modern etched chassis can be made to fit the 'Cardean', together with a full set of suitable Gibson wheels.

I'm planning to start the loco within the next month or two so need to see if I can solve a little problem.

Does anyone please know of a source of decals (transfers) for the lettering and numbering for 'Cardean' - particularly the painted name on the splasher.

I'd just like to point out a couple of things to save anyone commenting on these matters:

I am well aware that the old GEM kit isn't perfect but my intention here is to create an improved replica of my old loco not a perfect scale model and where possible I will improve the kit as to detail and fittings.

As I'm mainly a BRWR & BRSR modellers this is an exercise in nostalgia for me so I'm totally at ease with the kits deficiencies.

Any help in locating the decals as above would be very gratefully received - many thanks in advance. 

Regards

Hi,

There are a set of Caledonian Railway transfers by Fox -    here is a link                        http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/products.cgi

BUT 'Cardean' is not included, even Ian Rathbone had to paint the name on the splasher by hand on a 7mm commission he painted - there are some photo's of it in his book on painting.

Likewise I do not know a etched numberplate maker; the Cakedonian Railway Ass'n may be able to help they are at     http://www.crassoc.org.uk/cra/index.php   and then goto the modelling section.

Another thought is to model it as c.1920 condition when the name was removed, you could possibly still have the CR colors but without a name that way!

Yours Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Have you had a really good look in the box?

I ask as I am sure that one I built many years ago (and subsequently sold) had a set of name transfers included - I certainly didn't paint them myself.

In theory I suppose you could print your own transfer, or commission one of the small transfer producers to do one for you.

David

Have you had a really good look in the box?

I ask as I am sure that one I built many years ago (and subsequently sold) had a set of name transfers included - I certainly didn't paint them myself.

In theory I suppose you could print your own transfer, or commission one of the small transfer producers to do one for you.

David

Hi David,

Very many thanks for you answer.

The kit had been opened by the modeller from who I bought it and regrettably the name transfer was not there - you are correct in your memory as I do remember them being with the kit all those years ago.

I had been thinking that the way forward would be a commission as you say - although I do print my own these would be a problem as the lettering would need to be on white decal paper so the problem of printing a blue area to match the paint would be hard to solve.

Again David, many thanks for your reply.

Best Regards

I don't know anyone who produces the transfer nameplates, but 247 Developments make the etched numberplates for Cardean.

http://www.247developments.co.uk/PRE_GROUPING_1.html

Lytchett Manor, owners of GEM Models are re-issuing Cardean in the near future. It could possibly be worth getting in touch with them to see if they plan on making the transfers as well. I've always fancied one of these myself, it would look beautiful with a set of WCJS carriages.

Regards

Archived