Motor Rail Simplex widths

Twright

Hi all

I have a set of plans for a 20/28hp Simplex and it says that with a rail gauge of 1' 6'' to 1' 11.5'' the loco would be 4' 6'' wide. However the next gauge up has a width of 4', then 4' 4'' and then 4' 10''. This make the first figure seem strange - was this just a typing error? (e.g. should it be 3' 6''?).

I would like to know for a possible future project.

Many thanks in advance for any help

in issue No 70 of Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, a simplex brochure including a plan for a 48 bhp is illustrated in an article for a 16mm model.

it states the gauge varies from 1'6" to 3'3" (1 metre) but the loco width is only stated at 4', this could be because it was common for simplex to build them as inside framed once you get over about 3ft gauge, I think that ay bigger and you will end up with something more like the ones discussed here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70917-standard-gauge-tin-turtle/

and is it a straight frame or a bow frame that is mentioned?

A bord na mona simplex with inside frame:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8541022572_515746fe70_o.jpg

But ive just done a google search and most of the bord a mona simplex's are outside framed.

I'm just making simple guess's and surmises, I hope someone of superior wisdom will share it.

regards, Sam.

(EDIT: I meant inside frame not outside)

Edited by sir douglas

• 7 years later...

Just found this question, I'm no expert but I noticed this too and looked further into it.  

It looks like narrower gauge locos are wider as the engine and gearbox are mounted off to one side, otherwise the drive chain from the gearbox fouls the wheels, once you get to 2ft gauge the engine/gearbox can be mounted more centrally, thus reducing the width

1 hour ago, Fang said:

Just found this question, I'm no expert but I noticed this too and looked further into it.  

It looks like narrower gauge locos are wider as the engine and gearbox are mounted off to one side, otherwise the drive chain from the gearbox fouls the wheels, once you get to 2ft gauge the engine/gearbox can be mounted more centrally, thus reducing the width

I know the RHDR (I think) 15” one is wider than equivalent 2ft locos for this reason.