ECoS Command Station In a Shed?

John Geeee

• RMweb Gold

The way my layout is I can have two locos running around a twin track loop whilst I shunt about in a terminous or a couple of yards.So 3 locos at most moving and then see what happens if I have a couple of other sound fitted locos idling away?

The layout is already divided into 4 sections for DC cab control swirched by 4 rotary switches with an power on/off switch for each. Therefore my plan is to set all the rotarys to position 1, take out the feeds from Controller 1 on my Guagemaster Q, plug them into the ECoS, flick the switches to on and away I go. From what I have read so far if I do get a short then I can at least isolate it to one of the sections by turning the other 3 off in sequence. Also this way I think I can still keep My Q controller wired to the other 3 rotary positions if I don't get round to sticking decoders in some of the older locos so at least I can still run them under DC if I want.

We will soon find out as I went to the York Show today and bought an ECoS 50200 :dancer:

Cheers

John Geeeee

Well, congrats on taking the DCC plunge, but be careful, indeed ultra, ultra careful, about having DC and DCC live on the layout at the same time. It only takes a loco, or even a wagon axle, to bridge the section gap between them for the DC and DCC to have a punch-up, and your new ECoS might well end up damaged. Not recommended.

The way my layout is I can have two locos running around a twin track loop whilst I shunt about in a terminous or a couple of yards.So 3 locos at most moving and then see what happens if I have a couple of other sound fitted locos idling away?

The layout is already divided into 4 sections for DC cab control swirched by 4 rotary switches with an power on/off switch for each. Therefore my plan is to set all the rotarys to position 1, take out the feeds from Controller 1 on my Guagemaster Q, plug them into the ECoS, flick the switches to on and away I go. From what I have read so far if I do get a short then I can at least isolate it to one of the sections by turning the other 3 off in sequence. Also this way I think I can still keep My Q controller wired to the other 3 rotary positions if I don't get round to sticking decoders in some of the older locos so at least I can still run them under DC if I want.

We will soon find out as I went to the York Show today and bought an ECoS 50200 :dancer:

Cheers

John Geeeee

Congratulations John! Did they advise you on whether your existing wiring would be adequate for the higher load from the ECoS current?

I don't know about other folks, but I always try to read the manual before buying the product. The manual should tell you what you can, and, by its omission, cannot do with a piece of kit.

I'm a very satisfied ECoS user. Hence I had to check my facts about the Zephyr with the manual, here's a direct link to the Zephyr manual if you want to read it. Section 25.2 on page 35 covers the Jump Ports.

If you, or anyone else, fancies an ECoS, here's a link to the page on the ESU web site where you can download the latest ECoS manual. As ESU release updates from time to time, the manual is a little out of date, it was written for Firmware 3.4.0, and the latest ECoS firmware is version 4.0.0, but the main functionality is all there. By the way in Firmware V4.0.0 the ECoS now supports all functions up to F28, up to and including Firmware 3.7.0 it only supported up to F23.

This led to a spate of reading the manuals (as opposed to the sales blurb) for various DCC systems, and Digitrax have now released an upgrade to the Zephyr, called Zephyr Plus, which keeps the all important rotating lever operation plus brake lever. It seems to do and have all I will need for the foreseeable future, with the optional addition of a port and handheld unit which can communicate by radio and not just IR, at a fraction of the price of the ECoS. Likewise, ZTC (the only UK DCC command unit manufacturer) has at last upgraded their 511 to a 611, with much greater functionality and built in computer interface, but still with the all-important braking and reverser levers, which the Zephyr only partially replicates. Tough choice, although the ZTC is approaching ECoS prices. If only ZTC would produce a larger, more user-friendly screen, it would be much more mainstream.

This led to a spate of reading the manuals (as opposed to the sales blurb) for various DCC systems, and Digitrax have now released an upgrade to the Zephyr, called Zephyr Plus, which keeps the all important rotating lever operation plus brake lever. It seems to do and have all I will need for the foreseeable future, with the optional addition of a port and handheld unit which can communicate by radio and not just IR, at a fraction of the price of the ECoS. Likewise, ZTC (the only UK DCC command unit manufacturer) has at last upgraded their 511 to a 611, with much greater functionality and built in computer interface, but still with the all-important braking and reverser levers, which the Zephyr only partially replicates. Tough choice, although the ZTC is approaching ECoS prices. If only ZTC would produce a larger, more user-friendly screen, it would be much more mainstream.

I think you may have jumped the gun a bit over ZTC upgrading the 511 to the 611. Whilst the 611 has been announced as being on the way, the delivery date has slipped somewhat, as you can see in this thread, and it has still to go on sale.

"He's from Barcelona, you know !" 

(Referring to Ron-Ron-Ron & Peter's 'Manual' joke of a couple of days ago, - I forgot to read page 2 of this thread, and realised the world had moved on!)

Hi John, I was at York on Saturday, and bought Sound Decoder number 21, (probably from the same trader you got your ECoS), so as you can guess, I heartily recommend ECoS. - Hope you have many years of fun with it!

Someone else may correct me, but as all 21 of my sound-chipped locos are sitting permanently on the track, not all running and / or sound on, but nonetheless still 'active' and communicating to the ECoS, aren't they all drawing some power?

Or, does the power consumption increase when you 'drive' the loco, or turn sound / lights on etc..?

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

Someone else may correct me, but as all 21 of my sound-chipped locos are sitting permanently on the track, not all running and / or sound on, but nonetheless still 'active' and communicating to the ECoS, aren't they all drawing some power?

Or, does the power consumption increase when you 'drive' the loco, or turn sound / lights on etc..?

Traditionally, maybe less so now, sound locos in any number caused a problem at layout start-up with a phenomenon called "current inrush" caused by lots of capacitors charging at once. This looked to the command station like a short. I suspect more modern sound decoders have designed this feature to be more gentle. So, try having all 21 singing away - and turn the layout off and then on again.

Wow Ian!

I don't think I've actually had all 21 running at the same time, must give it a try! - Well, the missus is out today, so there won't be any complaints about noise levels!

My layout is in the loft, and the noise-levels do rise when I have a few of the big diesels running together!

I have a few LS4, but mostly Zimo sound decoders, which have capacitor handling software built-in, and so far in 3 years had no start-up probs with ECoS.

- Which reminds what how this topic started with John's query re: the 'Shed', the only problems I've had in the loft was 15 months ago in winter with interstitial condensation (look that one up on google!) causing drips from the felt to drop onto the layout, (disaster) which I remedied by the purchase of a couple of cheap Halogen-lamp heaters. That's only a temporary fix, so I need to look at secondary insulation between the roof-trusses perhaps!

Edit: just realised, Ian, bet you don't get ANY sort of condensation in La Belle France?

Alan.

In post number 5, Peter Chrichton refers to using the Uhlenbrock servo decoder to get the 'bounce' in his excellent Holcombe Brook & Totty signals.

I am definitely going to look into Uhlenbrock's kit.

(I know the guys at Blackburn ended up designing their own version, I assume the Uhlenbrock wasn't around at the time?)

Now why didn't he tell me that BEFORE I bought the annoyingly loud Dapol motorised jobby at Warley last year, and then had to find out the hard way that they are not natively DCC, so you have to buy TrainTech's decoder?

(nothing against TT, I love their other products) but you'd have thought the folks on the Dapol stand would have told me, especially as I asked them the specific question !

(actually nothing against Dapol - love the 22 and 52 - suspect they hired-in staff for Warley !)

Alan

With the ECoS I bought 5 Digitrax DN136PS decoders and 1 Zimo MX644D sound decoder loaded with sound suitable to put in my new Bachmann 10000. So far it took me best part of 10 hours yesterday to fit and fiddle with 4 DCC Ready locos. So if thats the simple plug it in way then watchout when I have to modify non DCC ready ones, it will take me years! Programming was driving me round the bend trying to learn how to change address and speed settings etc. Havn't plucked up courage to tackle the 10000 yet and still need to sort out the connection to the layout. Otherwise very happy with a lot still to learn.

Cheers

John Geeeeee

Yes, they are all drawing a small current, but an idle decoder (no lights or sound) will take an order of magnitude less current than a running loco.

Andrew

Peter,

Just watched your utube video on the telly, needed to see more detail than a small screen, fantastic bounce on the signals, gonna get me one of those Uhlenbrock decoders!

Loved the spark as the EMU left the halt signal, I take that was supposed to happen?

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

I have tried different Servo Decoders, one from Borg Rail which was a complete waste of money, the MERG one which I did a bodge job on building and the ESU one but that had no option for bounce or different speeds and then I came across the Uhlenbrock which I bought from A&H Models. Once you get your head round the CV's which is not really that difficult you can set the speed in both directions and bounce at both ends of the travel. If you want to pop along to our club rooms at Haslingden I would be more than happy to show how it's done.

The previous owners of the layout put a camera flash under the layout just before the station triggered by a reed switch activated by the train, I decided to try a different approach and put a small LED on the bogie operated by the EMU's decoder.

• RMweb Gold

Edit: just realised, Ian, bet you don't get ANY sort of condensation in La Belle France?

Having moved here from Kent a decade ago, things like condensation and damp are pretty much the same, TBH. Mind you, my layout is in an unlined stone barn circa 1850, like the house, although the latter is double-glazed and centrally heated, naturally. I suppose I'm about 350-ish miles almost due south of where I lived in Kent, Winters can be colder, Spring arrives a little earlier, Summers can be rather hotter.

Archived