Under the stairs

• RMweb Gold

hi, due to a house move i am having to scale back to smaller lay out for the time being, and what came to mind was a small industrial layout under the stairs it will be about 8' 6'' x16 inch. i have no track plans yet but i have just ordered the robert stephenson & hawthorn 0-4-0 ct i have just found out the loco is HO and not 4mm but i just like the the prototype so i'm still getting it.. i am also thinking of going EM but a made up layout and not set on any real railway.so i can run locos and rolling stock that take my fancy

any ideas, suggestions or pointer i should consider would be appreciated ,

Edited by farren

Why? (It looks weird on any track) but why especially so on EM which must be closer to prototype.

Cos its an HO kit. It would be equivalent to 5'5" gauge give or take

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold

Would it stand out that much? Surely its only as bad as OO but in reverse where the rest world look right for once. I've found cps models high level kits and not forgetting juldith edge. So lots of locomotive. Rolling Stock on the other hand needs to be found.

Cos its an HO kit. It would be equivalent to 5'5" gauge give or take

Have I missed something?  Looking at the Backwoods Miniatures website the crane tank is boldly described as a 4mm model, suitable for OO, EM and P4, although I do note that the British HO society list it as an HO kit!  It seems a very small prototype to be daring enough to try in HO.

• RMweb Gold

I emailed backwoods and the answer is it is ho. The drawing was taken from a old railway modeler. They got the scale wrong. Backwoods say they have sold hundreds and have only had one complete by a p4 modeler.

• Like 1

Has anyone manage to build one of these kits and could they post some pics please

post-647-0-09594500-1400603700.jpg

Here's mine in P4 that I built about 10 years ago, so I can't really remember much about the build except that it was a bit of a fiddle to get all the valve gear in, but it does run and quite well surprisingly. It will get cleaned and painted one day which is why the cab roof is still loose. I didn't realise that it was a 3.5mm model until I put it alongside a wagon, as you can see below.

post-647-0-12686100-1400603734.jpg

Arthur

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice model. Apart from the height of the buffer block (which you could raise, it just looks like a small loco, (think Port of Par locos) made smaller by the need to fit a crane above it. I don't think putting it next to wagon makes it look wrong. Obviously if you compare it to the prototype it would look small, so just make it freelance.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks avonside 1563. Nice to see the real thing still knocking about. I have found some photos of both of them at Sunderland on Flickr. I know the Doxford site well as my dad comes from near there but never saw any of it in use.

Super model. It does look very small next to the wagon. Mind it would not be much bigger in 4 mm if my maths are right 3mm in wheel base. Any way to late to change my mind it's turned up after just 3 days not bad.

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

Although the loco is quite small the crane on top does give problems as it's well over 12' from rail level. We have to make sure that the roller shutter door to the shed is up as far as it will go and even then it only just scrapes under. Needless to say Roker only comes out very infrequently now as she is OOU pending serious repairs to firebox and a full mechanical overhaul including new tyres. As was once quoted to me, "the perfect engine, everything worn out at the same time!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are there any plans to do a full overall. So we might see her back in steam in the future Do you know.

Having had a look on Flickr at some photos a the locomotive shed has a breage in the background which would make a scenic break. For a small layout under the stairs are any books on the Doxfords railway does anyone know?

What where the other two locos doxfords used where they austerity 0-6-0t

• RMweb Gold

hi adam now my net is up and running i could see the links you kindly put up yet more super photographs of doxfords, the more i see the more i am tempted on building a little bit of the line, will keep looking for a nice shot of part of the line which will make a nice layout.

i still thinking of going EM for under the stairs this would make the layout  more intensive keeping me occupied more and i would be able to use it as a test track for my main loco fleet as and when they are re-gauged for the next layout. .

i have found the fast track point tools but its knowing which to buy? i am sure there is no need to buy all but some will be got.

i now also have space for the layout. just need to build the table  . 

• RMweb Gold

can i pick your brains a bit more on the loco list a bit more please i take it that the letters before the number  are initials of the builder of the locos, so RSHN would be Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn and P would be Peckett, lost on BH,HL AB.

sorry for the relative simple question but have just starting to take a interest in the industrial side of the hobby, will have to get some books to get to grips with builders and classes 

Edited by farren

can i pick your brains a bit more on the loco list a bit more please i take it that the letters before the number  are initials of the builder of the locos, so RSHN would be Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn and P would be Peckett, lost on BH,HL AB.

sorry for the relative simple question but have just starting to take a interest in the industrial side of the hobby, will have to get some books to get to grips with builders and classes 

That's correct.

BH =Black Hawthorn

HL = Hawthorn Leslie

AB= Andrew Barclay

Paul A.

No pics but I have one of the crane tanks in my showcase, not being used as I'm currently working in N.

It ran as I remember the prototypes running at Doxford, attached to a plate wagon, coupled at the chimney/jib end.  Mine is a whitemetal wagon, the purpose of which has been to keep the loco on the track.  The problem with is that the wheelbase is less than the gauge.  This in turn causes it to derail at frogs, even on finescale track.  The heavy wagon, attached with 3-links, kept the loco straight.

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Gold

thanks for that les something to try out if and when i have the same problem when built just wondering what wheels people used on the model as the kit say sharman wheels 10mm 10 spoke with a 2.5 throw but as we all know they are no longer available. after a quick look none seem to be anywhere close, the the best i've found was alan gibson but they are 12mm unless i've missed  some may help with the case of the buffers being too low  due to 3.5mm scale and not 4mm.

after talking with my dad about the Doxfords works and the surrounding building works ie shipbuilders the engine builders i think i will call the they out Doxfords. also will try and find a coles engine drawing as a nod to my uncle who was one of the head foreman at coles crane builders site just up the river. and part of his job was to go up top of the big crane which was used to drop the engines in to the ships and make sure the cabling was in good condition.   

Edited by farren

thanks for that les something to try out if and when i have the same problem when built just wondering what wheels people used on the model as the kit say sharman wheels 10mm 10 spoke with a 2.5 throw but as we all know they are no longer available. after a quick look none seem to be anywhere close, the the best i've found was alan gibson but they are 12mm unless i've missed  some may help with the case of the buffers being too low  due to 3.5mm scale and not 4mm.

Those are Sharman wheels on my model; I  got them when I bought the kit so that shows how long ago that was!

Arthur

Edited by Arthur Budd