Laira railway bridge

• RMweb Premium

Is there a secret move on, to reconnect Plymstock to Plymouth by rail, as I have been across Laira Bridge several times today and I noticed that scaffolding is being erected on the railway bridge starting at the Plymstock end.

The scaffolding boys are going like the proverbial off a shovel, as the last time I crossed, about 1.30 they were about a third of the way across.

SS

• RMweb Premium

Is there a secret move on, to reconnect Plymstock to Plymouth by rail, as I have been across Laira Bridge several times today and I noticed that scaffolding is being erected on the railway bridge starting at the Plymstock end.

The scaffolding boys are going like the proverbial off a shovel, as the last time I crossed, about 1.30 they were about a third of the way across.

SS

More likely some sort of cycle path / pedestrian facility or alternatively its being demolished given its probably something of a burden on its owners - which I believe is actually the Highways Agency (They took over the BRB residuary property portfolio when it was wound up a couple of years ago). Certainly I am not aware of anything emanating from NR suggesting that a railway revival is on the cards.

Restoration of the viaduct is for the 'Laira rail bridge pedestrian and cycle scheme'. Ownership of the bridge was transferred to PCC who are creating a cross-city route from Devonport to Plymstock, so use of the bridge is a strategic link. Further information can be found on the Railway Ramblers website (news entry in March 2014), which also includes a link to a council web page specifically about the restoration of the bridge.

• RMweb Gold

I believe the plan is to divert pedestrian/cycle traffic across the railway bridge. This would then eventually allow room for two new traffic lanes on the road bridge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having been back at work this week I have traveled over Laira bridge and there is now a large banner proclaiming that the work in hand is to turn the railway bridge into Foot and cycle path, I am led to believe that this is in preperation for removing pedestrian access from Laira bridge so that there is an extra lane of traffic in each direction to allow for the increased traffic associated with the Sherford development.

SS

Archived