Brampton Road

wireman

The point off road 1 has now been fitted, this is just to a short spur enough to hold two loco's. Although the layout is DCC , the last part of the spur has a swichable dead section. This allows me to run an engine into this dead end, which is hidden from view in the storage sidings, knowing it will stop once the dead section is reached. Switching on the section allows it to be driven out again. I just have to remember what I put in there.

post-3742-0-29503200-1495652133_thumb.jpg

I have shortened the cover over the storage by a couple of inches to improve sighting when stopping trains in them. I am investigating the use of a vehicle reversing camera and screen, available very cheaply on internet sites, to also help with this. An idea  I saw working  very well on a layout at the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition recently. 

Meanwhile, back to detailing on the embankment plus improvements to be made on the station yard sidings.

Regards Brian. ( Wireman ).

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Very little actual work has happened at Brampton Road over the last few months, although quite a bit of operating has been indulged in. I still intend to write an operating sequence but find myself occupied changing loco's on an arriving passenger train, turning and shedding the arriving engine or shunting the the arriving goods traffic. This alone can while away a considerable amount of time so any good intentions of actual doing something disappear. However, planting fences over at Coleborne Junction have prompted me to complete the short length running across the lifting flap, something on the to do list for some time.

post-3742-0-07519100-1505283809_thumb.jpg

Also on the to do list has been to find a JCB for the coal yard. Browsing in our local model shop I found a Dapol / Kitmaster kit for a Mk.3 and on reading the instructions I noticed that the tooling used for this kit was now over fifty years old. This was only indication I could find about the age of the real thing. Browsing the net I did find a time line for JCB machines but there were many variations of the Mk 3 over the years. It's not brilliant compared to modern standards but I am quite pleased with the end result.  (Yes, I know I should fit glazing ).

post-3742-0-43606000-1505284952_thumb.jpg

Having found this kit, I expect one of the model vehicle makers will probably release a wizzy super detail JCB Mk3 ot this era shortly.

Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Where next ? These pictures of Brampton Road, show the whole layout from right to left, apart from the six storage roads. Still scenic items to add, possible lighting on the station and town etc. Although the layout provides a lot of operational interest, more so with two operators present, I have this urge to change.

post-3742-0-78794200-1508850155_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-24077100-1508850220_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-95734600-1508850267_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-44351600-1508850315_thumb.jpg

I have often thought that instead of a round and round in such a small space I would prefer a terminus to fiddle yard. After a few priliminary measurements, I could fit a terminus station by leaving most of the layout shown in the first two pictures in place, although the tunnel entrances would have to change to accomodate the new storage yard. Remove completely the present station and town, leaving only the sidings, picture three, and removing everything in picture four apart from the coal yard. The lifting flap on which the coal yard is built could be kept purely for scenic use, possibly another small town scene.

The terminus would only be long enough to take a four coach plus pacific size loco. but this is the present situation anyway, plus the existing six storage roads would need complete relaying as all roads must be able to receive or send trains out, unlike the present where three roads are up and three roads are down.

Where next ? Decisions, Decisions.

Regards Brian. (wireman )

• Like 1

Where next ? These pictures of Brampton Road, show the whole layout from right to left, apart from the six storage roads. Still scenic items to add, possible lighting on the station and town etc. Although the layout provides a lot of operational interest, more so with two operators present, I have this urge to change.

attachicon.gif20171020_152246.jpg

attachicon.gif20171020_152237.jpg

attachicon.gif20171020_152302.jpg

attachicon.gif20171020_152321.jpg

I have often thought that instead of a round and round in such a small space I would prefer a terminus to fiddle yard. After a few priliminary measurements, I could fit a terminus station by leaving most of the layout shown in the first two pictures in place, although the tunnel entrances would have to change to accomodate the new storage yard. Remove completely the present station and town, leaving only the sidings, picture three, and removing everything in picture four apart from the coal yard. The lifting flap on which the coal yard is built could be kept purely for scenic use, possibly another small town scene.

The terminus would only be long enough to take a four coach plus pacific size loco. but this is the present situation anyway, plus the existing six storage roads would need complete relaying as all roads must be able to receive or send trains out, unlike the present where three roads are up and three roads are down.

Where next ? Decisions, Decisions.

Regards Brian. (wireman )

Brian, BEFORE ripping it all up and building a Terminus, as I did changing Pencarne Junction into Pencarne, why not run it as a Terminus for at least a Month or two, put tape and paper or something over the area you wouldn't use and try it first, see if it would work for you, were all different, thank goodness.

Just my thoughts, as I say, I converted PJ into P and then sold P and now with Kings Moreton I'm back to a roundy / roundy, but with a BLT as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Andrew, yes that idea makes a lot of sense and will definately try this. Hopefully ask a couple of railway minded friends in for an operating session to see how things go and gather opinions.

Many thanks. Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another alternative (which is in my plan) is to follow Manna's idea on Edgeware GN and disguise a siding (or platform line) so that can be run through when you want but is normally a terminus. That means that when you feel like listening to something going round and round you have the option, but most of the tome it is all out and back.

Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

yes extra operating interest was the idea behind this alteration, any train arriving at a terminus has to receive attention one way or another, be it passenger or goods and that was my reason to keep the sidings, head shunt, goods and loco sheds. I intend to follow Andrew P's good advice and cover all the area I am thinking of removing and operating as a terminus for a while. If you have an odd hour at any time, pop down and have a look. All suggestions welcome.

Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 3

Another alternative (which is in my plan) is to follow Manna's idea on Edgeware GN and disguise a siding (or platform line) so that can be run through when you want but is normally a terminus. That means that when you feel like listening to something going round and round you have the option, but most of the tome it is all out and back.

Paul.

Hi 5BarVT.

Thanks for your feedback. This idea had crossed my mind as I had intended to keep the lifting section by the door , although only as a scenic area. I had intended to use a turntable at the end of the storage roads as a loco release for arriving trains, which, as the base board narrows at his end would leave very little room for a passing track. However, your suggestion has started me thinking again about this possibilty.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Regards. Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

THE TERMINUS.

Although it seems only a short time ago, it was actually last October that I aired thoughts of changing Brampton Road into a terminus to fiddle yard layout. Following advice given on here, I did as suggested and covered the parts required to create a terminus and operated as such for a few weeks. After christmas I made the decision to go ahead with the alterations, deciding that the first step would be to lift and relay the fiddle yard. Removing point motors, wiring and track took quite a lot of time but my plan was to have it relaid by the end of April. This, of course did not happen and it was around the middle of May before most of the yard was down. The yard ends in a Peco turntable, enabling incoming engines to be released, turned and run back to a storage road or to the front of a rake of coaches. the first picture is of the table in place. Reference to previous pictures will show that this is where the overbridge used to be at the end of the scenic area of the old layout.

post-3742-0-86638000-1530357274_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-49759400-1530357525_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-08761200-1530357574_thumb.jpg

I am happy to say progress has been a little quicker of late, more pics to follow.

Regards Brian  (wireman ).

Edited by wireman
  • Like 5

I had intended that all six roads in the hidden sidings would run on to the table but although I had checked train lengths, I completely misjudged the clearances required to do this in the space available. This became obviious as soon as I had laid the first two tracks ( 6 and 5  ) working from the right in the pictures above. So the compromise had to be that lines 2 and 1 would have to join and enter together. This actually proved to be a good idea as I have been able to incorperate two run round loops for short goods traffic on these two roads, plus these two roads can be reached incoming from the 4 other roads or by running wrong road from the terminus. The end result being that lines 6 and 5 can take four coach plus loco, 4 and 3, three coach plus loco. 2 and 1 short freight. Once released, any vacant road can be used to return loco's to font of train or storage.

post-3742-0-27653100-1530599077_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-68240800-1530599178_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to have more loco. storage than I have, at either end, but can keep four pacific length plus couple of shorter ones in the odd spurs this coupled with 2 or 3 on front of the assembled trains will reduced the crammed in effect at the station loco. shed.

Regards Brian ( wireman ).

• Like 7

Now the fiddle yard is down and wired, without point motors fitted as yet, and all works well, work will start removing the town and station platforms.

post-3742-0-95354900-1530867210_thumb.jpg.

This could take a while, this guy will need help.

Brian ( wireman )

• Like 2

Help is at hand.

post-3742-0-61211400-1530912740_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-99401000-1530912789_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-04733100-1530912839_thumb.jpg

Had trouble focusing these pictures through my tears, never mind, all in a good cause. Buildings etc. boxed and stored on top of wardrobe in house ready for re-use.

Regards Brian.  (wireman ).

• Like 1

I had intended to lift just the two main lines as far back as shown in the above pictures, leaving the bay line intact. This track has always had a very small level problem as it leaves the double slip and although I had intended to leave it, it made sense to lift it and find out the reason. Having removed the track and cork bed I could see no apparent reason why this had happened and have relaid the cork trackbed. As platforms will cover this area and there being no reason for a shoulder, the whole area has been corked. A cover coat of matt Mocha has been applied, this was chosen as it was the only tester pot I had at the time. I seemed to remember having a feature wall in my house painted this sort of colour in the early 80's. Oh dear, probably had yellow sunflowers on the others.

post-3742-0-54557900-1531154866_thumb.jpg

I think my wife could be right about the boxes on the wardrobe being a dust trap, so have covered them with dusters.

Hopefully will lay track tomorrow as I have a couple of hours free first thing.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 5

I had intended to lift just the two main lines as far back as shown in the above pictures, leaving the bay line intact. This track has always had a very small level problem as it leaves the double slip and although I had intended to leave it, it made sense to lift it and find out the reason. Having removed the track and cork bed I could see no apparent reason why this had happened and have relaid the cork trackbed. As platforms will cover this area and there being no reason for a shoulder, the whole area has been corked. A cover coat of matt Mocha has been applied, this was chosen as it was the only tester pot I had at the time. I seemed to remember having a feature wall in my house painted this sort of colour in the early 80's. Oh dear, probably had yellow sunflowers on the others.

attachicon.gifP1060498.JPG

I think my wife could be right about the boxes on the wardrobe being a dust trap, so have covered them with dusters.

Hopefully will lay track tomorrow as I have a couple of hours free first thing.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

Tell your wife if she took some of hers out of the wardrobe they'd be room for yours :mosking:

I know you hate the sign of blood especially your own.

Track laying into the three station platforms now complete and wired. In practice, only two bus connections were required, three if you count remaking the one I pulled off whilst making the other two. As always, a change of plan happened, the intention was to include a crossover at the platform ends, I already had one left hand point, and purchased a second to enable me to do this. I had always known that I would not be able to release an engine and run round a four coach train because of the restricted room, but my thinking was that this could happen with a local three coach train if the bay was not being used as the engine could run round and set off again, engine in reverse, with a tighly timed train. In practice, so much space was required to do this that the decision was made to dispense with the cross over, all loco's would have to be released from their train. This also leaves a little more room at the end for the town etc. My first testing and operating session proved all ok with this station layout and the fiddle yard, but my operating was a disaster. No engines turned and ready for departures, wrong roads set into the fiddle yard, trying to do two things at once !! Haven't even thought about freight yet. Well, I did want a layout with more operational interest.

post-3742-0-05485800-1531323857_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-31242200-1531323934_thumb.jpg

Busy time, Local, waiting for passengers from the just arrived up train and the down waiting to depart. Even this will take some sorting out.

After my intial trials I realised that the next job must be to fit point motors thoughout the fiddle yard, and make a new switch panel for them before going back to start platforms and scenic work.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Fitting the point motors in the fiddle yard has begun. All wiring to the old yard was left hanging under the base boards and left connected inside the small switch box used previously. In theory, once motors are fitted and the new switch panel made, I should be able to use all the old wires to connect everything up. Bit of sorting out may be required!. As I have grown to dislike soldering under the boards, I am making each motor and switch into a small module, connected to a choc. block so all connections underneath are screw fitting.

post-3742-0-69267000-1532719334_thumb.jpg

As these motors have been used before, the extension pins have been cut flush with the tie bar, making it a litlle more difficult to locate them. All good fun.

I have also made a cardboard template panel for the control box to trial fit the switches and L.E.D.s instead of my normal method of drilling holes in the good  panel, then changing my mind.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The previously mentioned switch panel for the fiddle yard is now complete, apart from fitting the L.E.D.'s. It differs from the actual track layout in that 4 points in the yard can only be used when actualy marshalling trains ready for an operating session, so these are not included on this panel.  The switch panel will allow entry and exit to the yard from the main control position. The crossover shown top right corner is operated with D.C.C. modules from the ZTC unit, the L.E.D. here being just an indicator of the cross over setting.

post-3742-0-73055800-1533591991_thumb.jpg

Not very obvious from the picture, is that, just under the line for tracks 6 5 4 3 is a short plastic strip on which loco identity tiles will sit to show whats in the yard.

Progress a little slow at moment because of such hot weather which means the shed is much to hot, therefore I have to keep going to the beach.

We all have our cross to bear.

Regards.Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 3