Brampton Road

wireman

Since my last post my ZTC511 is now a ZTC611 and all seems well. The first picture is of this unit, plus the layout point control box, the small box next to it is storage road selection.These units are mounted on sliding trays enabling them to tucked in under the baseboards when working on the layout. The next photos are of progress on the coaling stage and engine shed. The type of water crane and its location has changed since previous pictures as I was never really happy with the original idea. The last picture is of a more general view of things.

Brian. ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-64270500-1433010419.jpg

post-3742-0-03583200-1433010442.jpg

post-3742-0-15865500-1433010487.jpg

post-3742-0-66300200-1433010562.jpg

post-3742-0-55283800-1433010581.jpg

post-3742-0-86485700-1433010642.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 12

• 5 months later...

Not a great amount has happened at Brampton road since my last submission, a little more detailing around the shed and coaling stage, two new loco's, well one new, S15, one second hand, West Country, Weymouth. Weymouth was in the 2002 catalogue, but despite its age is as new and runs superbly. Hopefully these will be weathered in the near future. ( I know someone with a new airbrush and compressor.) The first two pictures are of the shed area and the West Country. Since my previous pictures I have scrapped the proposed small coal yard which was to have been along side the third goods siding. This area is far to small and I propose to have an abandoned and overgrown cattle dock here, leaving the siding for general traffic storage. Any other suggestions welcome. My main attention has been concerned with couplings and uncoupling ramps and my next rambling will be about these. I'm sure you will all wait with great excitement.

Regards. Brian. ( Wireman ).   Could some one please tell me how to put the narrative after the pictures.

post-3742-0-78774100-1446824007.jpg

post-3742-0-44389500-1446824022.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The pictures are great. The question of where the text goes in relation to the pictures is about where you position the cursor for typing. If you insert a picture, then click on the update box, the cursor should appear, hit return and the text will then go after the picture. Hope that helps.

Mike

• Like 1

The pictures are great. The question of where the text goes in relation to the pictures is about where you position the cursor for typing. If you insert a picture, then click on the update box, the cursor should appear, hit return and the text will then go after the picture. Hope that helps.

Mike

Many thanks Mike. Will do this on next post. Many thanks for kind comments on pictures.

Brian.  ( Wireman )

Couplings and uncouplers.  In the restricted space of Brampton Road, long trains running through undulating countryside was never an option, so the plan from the beginning was always that from the operating position I would be looking over the railway fence near the loco shed with the station behind and the town beyond in the distance. The emphises  would be on trains arriving and departing, the occasional locomotive change meaning a loco. being prepared for duty may need to be turned  on the table, sent to the headshunt or bay ready for the incoming train. The arriving loco. coming to shed for coaling and turning etc. From our position behind the fence we would hope it came to the turntable, the closest point to our viewing spot, a brief stop, long enough to saver the sounds, sights, smells and  sensing the warmth, even perhaps a wave from the crew.  ( The last five items require a vivid imagination.)   Pick up goods arriving, setting down, picking up vans and trucks and often shunting the yard during quieter moments. To achieve this, remote uncoupling became an important operational abililty on the layout, plus, because of the small size, I needed to create just a small area where the shunting engine may be out of sight for a brief moment. The picture below, I hope illustrates my perhaps clumsy discription. The shed and water tower obscure the shunting loco, but looking between the two buildings the shunter can be seen standing in front of an uncoupling ramp. This uncoupler is for the headshunt and is one of the magnetic coil type that when energised lifts the ramp and untensioned coupling.

post-3742-0-78380200-1447066039.jpg 

This type of uncoupler is quite relable but noisy, however, five have been fitted. On the picture of the controllers on this page, on the box nearest the camera which has the layout diagram and point push buttons, there is a group of five push buttons used for the uncoupling ramps. Up and down main line, bay platform, head shunt and goods shed, reference to the track plan on page one will help the clarify this.   The fixed sring type, Peco etc. widely available, work, but should the tension of a coupling be ralaxed whilst passing over one, uncoupling will happen, not so much of a problem in a siding, but really annoying on the main line. Another limitation with either of these types is the fact that trucks, vans etc.are always left in the location  of the ramp. After reading several articles re. Kadee couplings, half a dozen pairs and two permanet magnets were purchased for experiment, my views on these on my next post.

Regards. Brian. ( Wireman ).

Edited by wireman
  • Like 3

couplings and uncouplers part two. The Kadee trials. I feel sure most people will have seen the Kadee or have heard of Kadee couplers, the main benefit is being able to uncouple then push wagons etc. to a desired position without them recoupling. As with tension lock couplings, the units to be parted are stopped over the uncoupling device, a very slight movement to release the tension, then draw forward to complete the seperation. In case of the Kadee, after seperation, providing the couplings are still over the magnet moving back to the vehicle will allow it to be pushed without recoupling. Once clear of the magnet, reversal leaves the vehicle behind. Very usefull if the magnet is placed ahead of a fan of sidings. Recoupling is ,as tension lock, just a matter of buffering up. Many short videos showing this sequence are available on You Tube. A great variety of Kadee couplings and magnets  are available but, to fit NEM pockets in 4mm scale, the choice is just down to the four lengths. I fitted the 08 Diesel and a few vans and after some height adjustments, ( NEM pockets are not consistent in height ) and using  a fixed magnet uncoupler all worked reasonably well. However some pockets are able to flex sideways and if not central when pulled over the magnet, both dropper wires may both move to the same side instead of being pulled apart, secondly, when tested on the main line, the same problem as tension locks occurs, a lack of tension over the magnet will allow unintentional disengagement. I believe that using a spring wire lightly rubbing on the axle of a brake van would provide enough drag to keep all couplings in tension, although I have not tried this it would seem quite a simple solution. Kadee suggest that electromagnets be used on main lines to prevent this problem and although it would be possible to retro. fit these, it would not be an easy task where track has been fixed and ballasted. Fixing Kadees to some locos. without pockets and to the ends of rakes of coaches persuaded me to stay with tension locks.  If starting a new layout ( unlikely ) I think I would use  Kadees as they certainly would add operating potential.  As I did not wish to fit more of the noisy electromagnet units I resolved to fit the three goods sidings with the standard fixed spring Peco type, but just before doing so, I saw an advert for a different electrically operated type, which will feature in part three.

Brian

Edited by wireman

• Couplings. Part 3. This picture is of the kit as received and contains all parts screws etc. to complete. The basic idea is simple, the uncoupling ramp is raised by a servo motor the clever part is the printed circuit board which allows height adjustment and dwell time adjustment when raised. Push and release the operating button and the ramp rises, then after the preset time, returns to the rest position.

Fitting was reasonably easy, just a couple of minor adjustments which I will explain next post.

post-3742-0-95806900-1447317872.jpg

Edited by wireman

As mentioned above, fitting this kit is quite straight forward although in my case It needed to go under the baseboard directly over the top of the control panel pull out shelf. Luckily the wires to the shelf were just long enough to enable me to remove it enough to allow enough space to work in. The black item in the centre of the picture above is a short dummy sleeper which drops into an 8 mm hole, this has two holes through which the steel wire passes to lift the ramp. The holes in this had not been drilled completely through and I slightly enlarged them as the wire seemed quite tight in the original holes, plus the servo motor fixing bracket needed enlarging to accept the motor. The printed circuit board was mounted on an ajacent cross member close to the servo. allowing access to the setting buttons once the control tray was replaced. The Heathcote electronics web site gives a quite detailed description of fitting this kit and the supplied instructions are good. The unit works well, adjustment is easy and it is very quiet, just a brief purr of the servo when the button is pushed. It is about £5 more than the round solenoid type and of course, being tension lock, the wagons have  to be left where they are uncoupled. I am very pleased with this uncoupler and 2 more kits have arrived so all three sidings will have one. The included ramp is clear plastic which the manufacturer says is inconspicuous, personaly I dont agree so I will either paint them to match the track or make some new ones. So, 8 uncoupling ramps will be on the Layout, 5 solenoid type and 3 servo motor type. It is unlikely that I will replace the solenoid ones as they  do work and the thought of being under the baseboards again in such awkward spaces , being stabbed in the head by solenoid point motors, etc.is to much good fun.

Edited by wireman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your informative assessment of the couplings. I am thinking of switching to the Kadees myself, but haven't ballasted track yet and have some relaying of track to do, which will make it easier, when I eventually get round to doing that.

Mike

I hope it was of some help Mike. One thing I did not mention was the importance of a Kadee coupler height gauge, inexpensive but indispensible.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

Edited by wireman

Oh no, not still talking about those bloomin uncoupling ramps. Initially I thought about mounting the operating push buttons on a small bracket along the edge of the baseboard, but then decided I would prefer them on the actual panel, but where?  Ideally above the three siding point motor swiches, these are the first three switches from the left and, as can be seen on the picture this was not possible.

post-3742-0-52608100-1447495697.jpg

Then, Mon Dieu Rodney, of course, the three switches on the other end of the row are not being used, a quick look inside shows nothing connected to them. With the passing of time I cannot remember why I put them here, maybe just as spares. ( The passing of time in my case is anything longer than a week, occasionally less. )

post-3742-0-25381000-1447496128.jpg

Only perfect. Switches out, holes enlarged, push buttons fitted, 4 wires connected, top back on. Not quite as quick as that but relatively straight forward.

post-3742-0-86084100-1447496562.jpg

Regards. Brian. ( Wireman )

Edited by wireman
  • Like 2

As a Post Script to the above ramblings, using different locos. whilst playing with the various couplings etc, highlighted the difference between the starting and slow running abilities between my Hornby and Bachman steam outline engines. The Hornby models are far easier for inching forward or back, and slow running without jerking. No amount of changing CV's seems to be able to improve the Bachman ones. I am probably getting a little picky here, as in general terms I am very pleased with them. I believe the Bachman diesel outline engines are in some peoples opinions, better than the Hornby. In practice, I have more locos. than I have room for, so will not buy more, although as a friend said recently, " You said that four engines ago."

Regards Brian  ( Wireman )

• Like 1

Was at Brampton Road recently and saw the Un-couplers in action. Very impressive and so quiet. Oh well that's ANOTHER job to do on my layout.

Seriously though Wireman has done a brilliant job with both This layout and Coleborne Junction. Well done. 

• 2 weeks later...

After all the excitement of the uncoupling saga, attention has now turned to the shed door end of the layout. This end remains as it has been for the last couple of years. I had intended to complete the lifting flap as countryside, finishing with the railway running beneath a road overbridge, at the entrance to the storage roads. Although the track was fixed and ballasted, nothing else ever happened here. I think the reason for this was that I was never happy with the lifting flap.

post-3742-0-20777300-1449259000.jpg

So I am going to remove all of this area and start again. This time the lifting part will be smaller with neater hinges and with a taller back scene which will be curved round to eventually meet the proposed overbridge.  I think this part will still be finished  as country side, although I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully this work will start soon and any delay playing trains will not be to long.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

Edited by wireman

Hi Scott. Yes, this is a very good idea. I said a while ago that the coal staithes / yard idea was abanded due to lack of space, but with road access, the yard could be extended alongside the running line. Couple of JCB's to shift the coal from the unload area, to the staithes.. The bridge could be angled back towards the storage road points, giving more scenic area. Great idea.

Brian ( Wireman ).

How did he get in the shed to do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely Loco!!! - My son and I have also had the pleasure of a turn each at firing and driving her a few years ago on the Swanage line.

Many Happy Returns of the day

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

Edited by sigtech