Rapido GMD-1

dibber25

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stupid question, but will these locos run on UK toy train curves?

Um, maybe. They'll handle down to 18" radius but only if you leave the sandboxes off the trucks which is not a problem if you are modelling later versions. That said they look best on larger radii, as do all engines.

Cheers,

David

I just got my second GMD-1 (sorry Jason but its the yucky green version). I've just tried Function 17 (not mentioned in the instructions). OUTRAGEOUS!! That's not prototypical at all. Seriously - love it! Much better than bacon frying on a shovel. That would be really good in the APT-E.

CHRIS LEIGH

I recently found out that the GMD-1 I had ordered disappeared from the final order, despite it being shown as faxed to Rapido. That's the second item I have ordered that never made it, the other being a VIA F9B.  Actually I have only ever ordered two models, and both orders were never fulfilled!

I don't blame Rapido, but it is frustrating!

Anyone in the UK got their GMD1 yet, still awaiting mine via Model Jcn but have been informed that they should be arriving soon.

I think apart from mine all of the ones that were ordered direct from Rapido have been shipped and distributed. Not sure about Model Junction. I suppose its down to which versions they ordered and how they were shipped from Ontario. Anything I get from Canada via surface post lately is taking around 7 weeks to arrive. So if they waited for the NAR batch and if they shipped by surface it should be another week or 2 before they hit customs in the UK.

I recently found out that the GMD-1 I had ordered disappeared from the final order, despite it being shown as faxed to Rapido. That's the second item I have ordered that never made it, the other being a VIA F9B.  Actually I have only ever ordered two models, and both orders were never fulfilled!

I don't blame Rapido, but it is frustrating!

I'm sorry to hear that!  We do send out backorder reports to all of our dealers and we rely on them to let us know if we've made any order entry mistakes. Sometimes mistakes get by, unfortunately, even when several sets of eyes go over them.  We're all human, after all.

Give us a call and we'll see what we can do for you.

-Jason

I finally got my GMD-1 (in Jason's all time number one favourite best selling paint scheme) and gave it a test run.  I'm very happy with it as it makes a great addition to the operating fleet on my switching layout, and allows me to retire an aging Life-Like Proto 2000 GP7 to the shops as i now have a reliable running locomotive for my switching activities.

15890570031_b3c90bb814_o.jpg

Cheers,

Stephen

Green and gold is great - for the 1960s! Have you noticed the same two colours have been chosen for the Union Pearson DMUs? Now that's bad. It looked great in the 1950s but 60 years on, you need something that looks a bit more striking - red and black, maybe?

CHRIS LEIGH

Stephen. I'm with Jason on this. Yuk! Baby poop green. Remember, Friends don't let friends model CN. :nono:

Its still a beautifully ugly loco.

LOL, ouch, it could be worse, i could be a modern image modeller and do the new GO Transit two tone baby puke paint scheme they introduced last year!!!

Green and gold is great - for the 1960s! Have you noticed the same two colours have been chosen for the Union Pearson DMUs? Now that's bad. It looked great in the 1950s but 60 years on, you need something that looks a bit more striking - red and black, maybe?

CHRIS LEIGH

1950's, but yeah, i do agree with Jason that CN's 1961 look is modern and forward looking and underrated for quality, especially given its longevity.  But seeing as my main modelling interest (much to Jason's chagrin) is the 1950's and the end of steam in Canada, it's green and gold for my little switching layout.  Maybe someday modern railroading with long trains will interest me, but whatever the reason, my joy in modelling is in creating (recreating?) something long before my time and the feel of a simpler time.  Probably escapism from the busy modern world of computers and rapid change I've grown in.

And yeah, the UP Express paint scheme is all kinds of terrible.

-Stephen

CHRIS LEIGH

I was at TMC yesterday and the UPX train was sitting there.  Wow - phenomenally ugly.

I wonder if it has S H A G carpets to go with the awesome 1976 Caprice Classic colour scheme.

S H A G is not a swear word (shakes fist at RMWeb).

-Jason

I'm sorry to hear that!  We do send out backorder reports to all of our dealers and we rely on them to let us know if we've made any order entry mistakes. Sometimes mistakes get by, unfortunately, even when several sets of eyes go over them.  We're all human, after all.

Give us a call and we'll see what we can do for you.

-Jason

Thanks for the offer.

I must admit that I never thought of doing that. I ended up making a deal with one of the shops to use the funds paid towards the GMD-1 to get a Hornby class 56 they had that had been sitting on the shelf for a few years.

Rest assured Jason I am not blaming you, Rapido, or the hobby shop, mistakes do happen. I do however blame my ex wife but then I blame her for everything!

But thanks for reminding me as I do need to contact Dan, as he was going to see about getting some spare F9B winterization hatches for me but I haven't heard anything more on it.

I was at TMC yesterday and the UPX train was sitting there.  Wow - phenomenally ugly.

I wonder if it has S H A G carpets to go with the awesome 1976 Caprice Classic colour scheme.

S H A G is not a swear word (shakes fist at RMWeb).

-Jason

Could have been made much prettier with a decent colour scheme. I have a shot of it in the concrete cutting approaching Union and it looks like its camouflaged. I've had issues with RMweb's rather prudish approach to certain words, too. Better than the forums that have the same four-letter adjective scattered everywhere.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my first chance to play with NAR 302 & 311. WOW doesn't begin to describe it. Beautiful. Just need to run them in on the rolling road and do some decoder tuning. I sense a resurrection of my Alberta Prairie town "Millarville" modules may be in order.

Thanks to everyone for not spoiling the Easter egg sounds. They're brilliant. Chris, agree on F17 but prefer F16.

Jason, does your warranty cover vaporisation of other locos due to misuse of Function x?

Just had my first chance to play with NAR 302 & 311. WOW doesn't begin to describe it. Beautiful. Just need to run them in on the rolling road and do some decoder tuning. I sense a resurrection of my Alberta Prairie town "Millarville" modules may be in order.

Thanks to everyone for not spoiling the Easter egg sounds. They're brilliant. Chris, agree on F17 but prefer F16.

Jason, does your warranty cover vaporisation of other locos due to misuse of Function x?

Don't press function 19!! I got beamed up and I'm now on the roof, with no idea how to get down!!

• 1 month later...

Archived