'Linden Ford' A Second Hand Inglenook Layout...

gazmanjack

Only a little was done on the produce stall over the weekend due to other family priorities. The store received a front bench/table, paint and a few crates and barrels of produce.

post-14327-0-94324300-1407148967_thumb.jpg

^ The stall has been painted light blue, very roughly to give the structure that well worn and weathered look. The roof was paint sparingly in a grimey black/grey before adding a few shades of weathering powders.

post-14327-0-27056400-1407148989_thumb.jpg

^ A left hand side view of the stall. I'm not totally impressed with the lapping over of the planks on the front bench/table. This will have to be modified, out with the scapel and a touch up of blue paint, will fix this.

post-14327-0-57949400-1407149007_thumb.jpg

^ The weathered appearance doesn't look too bad. Just a pity this side of the shed won't be visible from the front of the layout. The door is from the free Scalescenes 'Low Relief Warehouse' kit.

All the crates and barrels are from a kit I picked up at a 2nd hand stall at an exhibition about 3 years ago. The crates were glued together, then cut in half very ordinarily. The open tops were then scribed to give the planked appearance. The same applies to the barrels, but these came in two halves, top and bottom. The yellow fruits in the barrels (top pic) are pepper corns painted yellow. The barrels under the bench contain potatoes. This is some old 'out of scale' ballast painted brown for dirty spuds and white for washed spuds. The two crates on top of the bench, one contains corn, which is cumin seeds painted with a wash of yellow and the other is a crate of carrots. These are made from chopped coconut fibre painted orange then heaped into the crate.

There is still more fruit and veg to come. Maybe some onions, spinach (silverbeet), beans, eggs and possible some cut flowers etc...

Cheers, Gary.

A little more produce has been delivered today. I have added red and green apples (early season), onions, watermelons and tomato sauce to the list of other veg (potatoes, carrots, corn and honey dew melon). Note I wrote melon as the system here won't allow me to write the plural....?? :nono:

post-14327-0-76343000-1407237472_thumb.jpg

The apples in the long crate on the bench are mustard seeds painted in appropriate colours (thanks Nick - Much Murkle). The onions (hanging off rafter and in crate to the far left) are poppy seeds painted white. The watermelons (green, far right) are larger peppercorn seeds. I also threw in some bottles of home made sauce. The onions which are hanging are the painted poppy seeds glued to a very fine piece of coconut fibre, then glued to the cross beam.

Cheers, Gary.

Today I manage to get the Fresh Produce Stall planted. Complete with signage, a purveyor of fine produce and the clutter of weeds, bushes and vines growing up, over and around the stall.

post-14327-0-38220900-1407588907_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-95624400-1407588928_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-98120600-1407588950_thumb.jpg

The figure inside is an Airfix/Dapol figure which has been cut and reshaped for the cameo. The figure is glued onto a very fine strip of styrene, which is also glued to the front of the stalls lowest weatherboard. His right arm which was manipulated has also had the hand reshaped to sit reasonably flat on the bench, which also has been glued down to the bench top. The signs I found on google which I reduced, printed, cut up, rearrange and finally glued to the stall. The area where it sits had to be shaved of any static grass etc before being glued down.

Cheers, Gary.

G'day D600 and Class 74, thankyou for the kind words .   :thankyou:   One thing I wanted from the layout was to provide plenty of scenery within the space, hence the curved styling of the Inglenook.

I mentioned back in post 15 that there may be a new loco or two on the agenda. Over the last couple of weeks, one S&DJR Jinty (Bachmann) and one Terrier (Hornby) arrived. I was thinking about the C Class and a 4F, but I decided on smaller tank engines instead. I purchased the Terrier from Hereford Model Centre as I could not get one in Australia at a reasonable price. I paid £41.00 for the loco, landed on my door. The same loco in Australia would cost me £59.00 ($105.00), and I would have had to drive 10 miles (16km) to pick it up...

So, this is it... 'Portishead' in GWR livery...

post-14327-0-93920700-1408188698_thumb.jpg

and this is what she looks like from this afternoon....

post-14327-0-49855600-1408188743_thumb.jpg

Eventually, the Jinty will be repainted and renumbered just like the Terrier. Although no numbers or logo have been applied to the Terrier, I do have them, but I need to look harder to find them. I know that they're stashed away somewhere ! :scratchhead:

I also decided to take two pics of the layout from each end, to show off the overall size. It really isn't that big !

post-14327-0-40989300-1408188940_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-44424900-1408188964_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Steve,

Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you like the little layout.  :thankyou: It has been an ongoing project, that started as something as a time filler !

Recently I have installed 4 x small switches to isolate the individual sidings. These have been fitted to a small panel that is located in the Station Master's house with the point levers. Remember, this layout is not DCC...

post-14327-0-17990100-1409135300_thumb.jpg

Above. The switch panel is reasonably small, measuring just under 2" wide. On the reverse side above the switches is a piece of PCB to act as a common between all the switches. The heavier red wire (will) run back to the common bus underneath the baseboard. The other lighter gauge wires (2 x brown, 2 x red) will run under the baseboard and back up through to the associated isolated rail.

post-14327-0-04722400-1409135346_thumb.jpg

Above. The labelled switch panel. After wiring it all up and testing, the switches had a piece of styrene glued over the top, then painted black and labelled. From left to right they are ; P - Platform siding, G - Goods siding, C - Coal staithe siding and D - Dock (cattle).

post-14327-0-32759400-1409135370_thumb.jpg

Above. The Station Master's house back insitu. Everything fits snuggly inside !

Other jobs at hand have been fitting Kadees to 4 x locos (Class 22, Class 08, 3F Jinty and a M7), 11 x assorted wagons and 2 x Maunsell coaches. There is another single wagon which has a Kadee on one end and tension lock the other. Always need an inter-coupled wagon ! This afternoon, 220 x 3mm neodymium magnets arrived on my doorstep. These will be incorporated between the sleepers or as sleepers, for the purpose of uncoupling the Kadees. I had previously purchased 6 x undertrack magnets, which I will take back and exchange for more Kadee couplers.

One issue I ran into whilst Kadee-ing the rollingstock is that there is a big difference between Dapol NEM pockets and that of Bachmann and Hornby. The Dapol pockets carry a fair bit of slop in them. This results in the couplers sitting anywhere between 0.5 - 1.0mm below the Bachmann and Hornby Kadee'd rollingstock... :swoon:  I should have realised this as there normal tension lock couplers are the same....

Anyway, I may as well omit the Dapol rollingstock (not the Class 22) from the layout come the exhibition. There are other wagons I can choose from regardless. I will have to find out a way to fix this problem. Then again, I could just bend the drooping leg of the coupler up, but that doesn't fix the mismatching height of the actual coupler.... :mad:

Well, that's it for now...

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last week or so, I have been busy placing several 3mm cube neodymium magnets between the sleepers, to be used to uncouple the Kadee couplers, I have slowly been fitting to my locos and rollingstock. One other job has been to repaint a Bachmann 3F Jinty from SDJR Blue to a weathered and worn-in late BR look, also weathering a Class 08 and a few wagons. The wagons have also had anywhere between 18-20 grams of lead added to them to make them more compliant with Kadee couplers.

Ok, a few pics...

The first is of the ongoing placement of the magnets.

post-14327-0-78528900-1409989278_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-04539300-1409989309_thumb.jpg

Above and Below. The Class 08 dirtied up a little.

post-14327-0-79201500-1409989333_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-39265500-1409989364_thumb.jpg

^ The Dapol SR 5 plank open wagon. The coal load inside was reduced in height, a plank on the side repainted to represent a replaced plank, a light application of weathered black and several shades of powders applied. Approx. 20 grams of lead was secured inside and Kadees attached. Real coal was added to the atificial plastic moulding inside.

post-14327-0-57051300-1409989399_thumb.jpg

^ A Bachmann Fruit van. This one I thought I had stuffed up as the air brush leaked a load of weathered black right across the model from the breather hole in the jar. Armed with some Isopropyl alcohol, I removed some of the paint before applying powders. I'm quite impressed with the end result considering I thought it was destined for the box...

Below is the former Blue SDJR Jinty, now as a weathered and tired looking BR Jinty.

post-14327-0-48191700-1409989422_thumb.jpg

The numbers and insignias were removed before several coats of weathered engine black (Floquil). The boiler and tank sides were then treated to a spray of matt black (Humbrol). HMRS transfers were applied, although I had trouble with the very small '3F' that sits above the locos number. The 3F transfers were attempted twice with them dislodging themselves just prior to being sealed with matt clear. Weathering was completed using shades of powders and real coal was added to the bunker.

post-14327-0-43022700-1409989454_thumb.jpg

Below, the cab interior was painted up, using pics of Bachmann's new 1F as a guide to colour scheme.

post-14327-0-67401500-1409989477_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it this week. The magnets are almost completed and then they will be painted and ballasted over to hide them. Strategically placed items will be placed on the layout to signify the placement of these once they are covered up, to make spotting/uncoupling easier.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

Really nice work. I'm tempted to go for kadees as well as they just seem to be the closest thing to 'real' train operation on the market (Less need for interfering hands), and quite inoffensive looking even on UK steam era stuff.

Thanks BlackRat & Corbs.

When I modelled Australian outline (New South Wales Government Railways) many years ago, I used nothing but Kadees. I find Kadees are way better than tension lock for operational reasons, and they do look a lot more prototypical than anything else available, apart from chain & hook, ofcourse...! Not having to use 'ramps', being clear styrene or Peco/Hornby offerings, or what I have installed on this plank previously (see 1st & 2nd pic in post 35, the brass strips and barrow crossing, manually operated ramps) is a bonus, and even the Kirby method using staples, do limit shunting possibilities. Having the Kadee delayed action makes shunting much more enjoyable, especially on an Inglenook. If you do intend to go down the Kadee route, I would recommend planning it during the track laying stage. This way you can decide where magnets should be situated, either 3mm cube neodymiums or the Kadee undertrack magnets (no.308). There is a very good thread regarding the use of 3mm neodymium magnets on here ; http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=8481&forum_id=6&page=1 , with a lot of experimentation done to perfect the method.

Cheers, Gary.

I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this Gary and much admire the finished result. Both imaginative and neat in execution.

I particularly liked the curved nature of the layout, so different to the customary straight line Inglenooks.

But how do the Kadees like the curves?

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

The Kadees don't mind the curves at all. I have used No.19s' here as I have used radius 2 curves at the far end of the layout. The magnets I have installed are just beyond the end of any curved piece of track on each siding. I have so far shunted with no problems yet. Touch wood !

Cheers, Gary.

Hi,

I always love a good small layout in limited space – especially when it sports such nice details and an unusual version of a wellknown scheme – and am looking forward to this going on.

In addition the weathering is top!

Re. the 3mm cubes: I go for the rectangular magnets (12mm long) – much less fuss when planting them between/under the sleepers.

I understand that the Dapol pockets are too sloppy, right? In this case I would pack a bit of folded paper under the coupling, perhaps stiffened with a drop PVA (then dried, of course).

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Always a pleasure to read what's new.

Regards

Armin

Thankyou Steve and Armin.

Weathering is something I have been getting into lately, trying each time to perfect my method/s. I can honestly say that the techniques learnt from other members on both forums I visit, plus sitting down at exhibitions watching weathering demonstrations goes a long way and is well rewarding in the end. To think I almost bu%%ered up the fruit van, then to turn it into what you see above was just a miracle. I wish I had of video'd the recovery method so I could have learnt from my mistakes... ;)

Cheers, Gary.

• 1 month later...

As I have been invited to exhibit this little layout at the upcoming St. Lukes Model Railway Exhibition on 8th/9th November (in Sydney), I have just been tidying a few things up here and there and adding a few taller grasses and other weeds to create some height variation within the vegetation.

A few pics...

post-14327-0-60314300-1413371041_thumb.jpg

Above. The clumps of yellow grass show where under track uncoupling magnet are placed, except for the smallish clump besides the van in the left foreground.

Below. A few clumps of yellow, green grasses besides the points that lead into the goods siding. Signs by Sankey Scenics.

post-14327-0-70702600-1413371073_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-47012300-1413371103_thumb.jpg

Above & below. Grasses grow tall around the cattle dock..., the cause ; quality manure !

post-14327-0-92413500-1413371144_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-54163600-1413371189_thumb.jpg

Above. Road verge grasses.

post-14327-0-17318900-1413371209_thumb.jpg

Above. The late afternoon summer sun falls between the trees. A nice time to take Fetch for a walk. The visible 'wet' glue behind the Liden Ford local and Fetch, shows that this clump was completed just a few hours ago.

Hopefully a few Sydney based modellers will be tempted to come up have a look. Ok, it's not Liverpool, but it's an exhibition regardless.

The exhibition is held at ; St Lukes Anglican Church, 157 Galston Road, Hornsby Heights

Cheers, Gary.

Above & below. Grasses grow tall around the cattle dock..., the cause ; quality manure !

It's the level of thought you put into the layout which is impressive.  I may have to revisit the bit of my railway which represents pasture!

Hi Gary,

I think the fruit van looks really good. I guess that is what one can call a happy accident. I love the paint job with your jinty. if you don't mind me asking, how did you get in there to paint the controls? I think the inside is beautifully detailed and it is a pity that they are not already painted.

The layout is looking really good too.

Owen

Gary,

Still yet to hear if I'm occupied on Saturday with the Rail and Sail trip. If I'm not I'll come on Saturday, otherwise Sunday.

It'll be nice to have something to recover from the insanity of the HSC!!

Thankyou for the kind words, C&WR, Zane and Owen.

The details I put in are what you would expect from a rural scene. I'm sure there could be a tonne more, but without knowing exactly what is required is another thing. Plus I don't want to over populate the scene with what could be called 'unnecessary' details. You and I know it could/should be there, but the uninitiated wouldn't...! :secret:

Owen,

The cab detail in the Jinty is exceptional and warrants painting. The painting of the controls was done with a fine good quality brush, after I pulled her apart. To pull the loco aprt, you will find two small screws fitted underneath the NEM coupler pockets. These just pop up and off. Undo these two screws to release the chassis. Turn the body upside down and you will see another two screws that hold the cab onto the body, Remove these and the cab will come free. I used a fine brush to paint the cab interior first, using buff yellow (Humbrol Satin 71) with a little matt white (Humbrol Matt 34) added. The details were painted after this had dried. First was the regulator, brake & injector handles in red (Airfix G1 - now that's an old tin ! , now superseeded by Humbrol Crimson 20) . Then after allowing these to dry, the tap handles (blower, oiler, reverse etc) were painted with Revell 95 (now 32195) Bronze Metallic. After drying, reassemble, job done !

As for the fruit van, I was extremely lucky with it ! I wish I could have documented the mishap and applied the same technique to the rest of my rollingstock...  ;)

Cheers, Gary.

Thankyou Ken.

I'm happy that you have learnt something from this little layout. I too have learnt quite a lot over the last few years and would have to thank forums like this for just being there.

Twenty odd years ago, it would have almost been impossible to learn as much as what we do now, sharing ideas, pinching idears and giving ideas to others, via forums. It doesn't matter how long, each and everyone of us have been in the hobby, we just won't stop learning new modelling practises or techniques.

Cheers, Gary.

Archived