pre-ordering Athearn - who from in the UK?

Hurrah, Athearn are releasing the MK rebuilt GP40-2 in speed lettering.  I would like to purchase all three road numbers.

Who should I get them from in the UK?  Or the USA?  I'm aware shipping is always a problem....

Then finally I will be able to model this old lady:

post-238-0-35159900-1405681082.jpg

all I need is a HO scale model of me to pose on the walkway :D

Careful - the SP GP40M-2 are not GP40-2, but rebuilds of old GP40 (7125 was a B&O machine) - A better bet would be trying to track down the old Atlas Master GP40 run which they did in this livery, you can make a great rendition of these from that one, I did a pair many years ago.

Have a sound fitted (from a body swap) Speed lettered Atlas GP40 in the stash pile to be titivated in into a UP patched GP40M-2. To go with a UP patched ex DRGW GP40-2. Oh to win the lottery and have a decent amount of modelling time!!! 

Dan

Aw nuts, so the Athearn models are not accurate?  I can't find Atlas Master stuff these days.  Killer is, I had one for a short time and returned it.  To this day, I can;t recall why...

If North Yorkshire is not to far for you then pay a visit to the Northern Counties American Modellers meetings at the Community Hall at Hampthwaite. Usually the 1st Sunday of odd months so the next one is September.

Cost you £3 to get in. You could be lucky. I picked up an Atlas Master Silver Dash 8-40CW for £40 at the last meeting.

I'm assuming your in the UK

If you are prepared to be patient then LSWR or Model Junction will be your best bet for UK pre-orders. I usually find that if you shop around US Internet sites (Trainworld, MB Klein, Caboose Hobbies etc) and take a cheaper shipping option if one is offered, the price differential between US and UK preorders is minimal. Go the US route and you can get the model soon after it's release if u r impatient but it will cost you. Then there's eBay who's sellers always list models even when we are assured by manufacturers that preorders are necessary.....

Cheers

Chris

Careful - the SP GP40M-2 are not GP40-2, but rebuilds of old GP40 (7125 was a B&O machine) - A better bet would be trying to track down the old Atlas Master GP40 run which they did in this livery, you can make a great rendition of these from that one, I did a pair many years ago.

That is right on the money Martyn.  I have spent quite a bit of time researching the entire GP40 class fleet of the SP and this delivery of re-manufactured units by MK were based on GP40 car bodies.  The obvious spotting point is that the Athearn body as a GP40-2 had a sight glass on the long hood so it was wrong when done for 7110 for example.  The other thing to watch for is the style of dynamic brake housing.  For example compare #7104 (click here: http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/gp40m-2_photos/7104_sp-gp40m-2-Nils_Gustavson.jpg ) with #7105 (click here http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/gp40m-2_photos/7105_sp-gp40m-2-tony_madieros.jpg. Note the earlier and later blower housing, the later one with two horizontal ribs.

I would use an Atlas GP40 for #7125 as it has the older dynamic brake housing/blower unit.

Archived