Railmodeller by RailMac

bagpipes331

Hi,

I'm thinking of designing my new 0 gauge layout, and wondered if anyone has experience with the above software?

My previous layout was designed a few years back on a Windows computer using Winrail software.

Any help appreciated, thanks,

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Generally it works quite well. If you don't want to print (or are happy to screen grab and print) or save then the free version is very usable.

Railmodeller is quite good, though, in my opinion it has a few minor niggles one can easily work around. It comes with a Railset Editor that allows you to draw your own track and accessories library. I use Railmodeller to quickly sketch plans to get a feel for dimensions for an idea and refine this into something presentable with saving versions in different stages. One of the niggles is that Railmodeller has no concept for a history of actions. You can undo the "last" action only.

Railmodeller is quite good, though, in my opinion it has a few minor niggles one can easily work around. It comes with a Railset Editor that allows you to draw your own track and accessories library. I use Railmodeller to quickly sketch plans to get a feel for dimensions for an idea and refine this into something presentable with saving versions in different stages. One of the niggles is that Railmodeller has no concept for a history of actions. You can undo the "last" action only.

Hi MacRat,

Thanks for the info.

Are there options to draw in viaducts etc in 3D? I'm hoping to bring in a Southern line over my Western region line on a viaduct in a built up urban setting. The lines will not be connected, but will run in to separate fiddle yards, and a terminus with high and low level platforms. 

I have loaded the free download on to my Mac, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do with the enabled functions.

Rich

The only 3D thing you can do is setting the track to a specific hight, as far as I'm aware. Last time I checked the 3D view, the elevation of the landscape was generated automatically with awkward results if track in different heights crossed each other, there was not a single other 3D item, no bridges, no tunnels, no trees, no houses. I haven't looked at the 3D view for a long time, as it was far from impressive, in my very personal view. I'd probably use a fully featured 3D-Tool if I wanted to sketch things in 3D.

Archived