Wayne's Workbench - Wagon bashing, locos, and other stuff.

I was hoping to finish the transfers on the blackadder this evening but I'm waiting for some transfer paper to arrive.

That being the case I set about assembling a few more sets of etched axle guards, I tend to do these in small batches in between other stuff. They're brilliant for long wheelbase wagons and really improve the running quality.

These are for SPAs, a Bachmann OBA the POA blackadder and a VDA van. Once these are fitted and a little weathering is done I can tick these wagons off the unfinished list.

post-6773-0-61121500-1532382394.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

Just a quick update the SPAs have been weathered and are on the home stretch now apart from fitting couplings, it will be good to finally tick these off the list. It's only a short cut of wagons but why does everything take so long?

After that will be a couple of vans and hopefully finally finishing off the 80 ton bogie clay tiger!

Will have some pics later.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 2

While on the subject of finishing SPA wagons here's a one off addition to the rake.

This is 460433 which was repainted into railfreight metals livery in 1990, it didn't look like this long as around 1992 it became a ZCA Sea Hare for the engineers. The model is a Cambrian kit which has been fitted with sprung axle guards and replacement leaf springs and axle boxes, just couplings and air pipes to fit now. It's based on a photo which was in Rail Express magazine No 259 which included their bumper railfreight sector modelling issue.

post-6773-0-92261500-1533368220.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

post-6773-0-92261500-1533368220.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

It's been a little while since I updated this thread but I've recently started working on a class 25 for the new layout, this has been a learning curve for because class 25s are normally out of my period.

The first area to start with are some modifications to the chassis.

post-6773-0-31391300-1539295833.jpg

Once some redundant plastic has been removed I'll fabricate a new chassis frame from H beam plastic section and after that work on the fuel tank and battery boxes.

More soon.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

Reassembling the chassis has started with the three main H beam cross members that join the centre brackets under the body, I've used 2mm H section and in the photo below you'll see these installed.

post-6773-0-88138100-1539370770.jpg

Going down this route does mean more work but it allows the chassis to be more correctly modelled and makes it possible to fit some extra detailing, as I'm modelling a loco that doesn't have a boiler water tank it leaves the underframe area quite open so I've decided to fit as much detail as possible whilst still being able to use it as a layout loco.

Next I'll install two longitudinal members and then I'll start on the fuel tank area.

Cheers
Wayne 

post-6773-0-88138100-1539370770.jpg

• Like 3

Guest teacupteacup

Hi Wayne

Can I ask which particular Bill Bedford w-irons you use for your air-brake wagons?  I've a stack of LWB air-brakes and I'd like to add some sort of springing into them for better running

Hi Wayne

Can I ask which particular Bill Bedford w-irons you use for your air-brake wagons?  I've a stack of LWB air-brakes and I'd like to add some sort of springing into them for better running

Hi teacupteacup,

The ones I use are BWF082/4 - BR W Irons for air brake stock.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wayne

Guest teacupteacup

Hi teacupteacup,

The ones I use are BWF082/4 - BR W Irons for air brake stock.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wayne

Smashing thanks Wayne, I'll get some ordered up!

Hi Wayne, I think the Class 25 project will yeild a interesting model and one that could potentially square up to Bachmann's newly announced 24/1 model. I'm planning to do the same thing with a Hornby Class 156 provided I have the confidence, pieces of plastic, saw, wire and lots of time!! My workbench is currently dead quiet, with the finished body of a scrachbuilt MHA.

Good luck with this one,

Jules :good:

Hi Wayne, I think the Class 25 project will yeild a interesting model and one that could potentially square up to Bachmann's newly announced 24/1 model. I'm planning to do the same thing with a Hornby Class 156 provided I have the confidence, pieces of plastic, saw, wire and lots of time!! My workbench is currently dead quiet, with the finished body of a scrachbuilt MHA.

Good luck with this one,

Jules :good:

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not sure about standing up to Bachmann's new model but if I can get it looking more like a 25 then that's good enough for me.

Now the new chassis has been built I'm now looking at the fuel tank area.

Cheers

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Hi Wayne

Where do you source your replacement axleboxes from?   I've looked back through your thread in case its been mentioned

Also, do you know if anyone makes the suspension brackets that hang from the solebar?  I'm starting on a few old Horny OAA's using the W-Irons you previously recommended

Hi Wayne

Where do you source your replacement axleboxes from?   I've looked back through your thread in case its been mentioned

Also, do you know if anyone makes the suspension brackets that hang from the solebar?  I'm starting on a few old Horny OAA's using the W-Irons you previously recommended

Hi,

The ones I used on my SPA wagons are from S Kits, the come with the brackets attached.

Hey, Wayne, some food for thought here:

In the most recent Rail Express No 270, Dave Roome descibes how he modifided a Sutton Locomotive Works 24/0 to a 25/0 using resin castings using the Hornby Class 25. I'ts quite interesting and worth a read.

Jules

Hi Jules,

Yes I have the magazine as I'm a subscriber but haven't had chance to read it yet. My modelling budget won't stretch to a SLW class 24 so I'm doing it the old way using a Bachmann chassis and Hornby body.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

Hi,

The ones I used on my SPA wagons are from S Kits, the come with the brackets attached.

Hi Jules,

Yes I have the magazine as I'm a subscriber but haven't had chance to read it yet. My modelling budget won't stretch to a SLW class 24 so I'm doing it the old way using a Bachmann chassis and Hornby body.

Cheers

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne

Joe

Work on 25032 continues with the fuel tank area, this mostly involves cutting off the moulded detail and re-mounting it to provide some relief and I'll add some extra parts which are visile at the open end of the chassis.

One issue is that the Bachmann have made the battery box too shallow so I'm replacing it with a simple scratchbuilt one.

post-6773-0-58159800-1540931644.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I haven't updated this thread in a while but things have been a bit busy what with Christmas and starting a new job at the end of November.

Anyway, I've recently been going through various stock boxes trying to get the unfinished projects to completion and top of the list has been the speedlink stock. I started working on a few vans a while back and last to be done were the VGAs which can be found further up the thread.

I've recently built a VEA and an OTA to add to the collection, there are others of both types but they will operate in fixed formations. The OTA is at the painting stage but the VEA needs some attention to some blemishes in the paintwork.

I've also been looking at my Heljan class 26 to see what needs improving and so far the roof grille will definitely be replaced along with the bogie modification, along with a renumber of course.

post-6773-0-10354500-1546881700.jpg

I'll try to update this thread more regularly as my shifts now allow me a bit more time to myself.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys,

Some nice work by yourselves as well.

I'll have another update soon, I've just been busy with the new job and getting some projects to the point where something is worth showing.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

Afternoon,

I've not posted in here for a while so I thought I should fix that.

This Bachmann 37 has been waiting to get finished for too long, I have another in a box which has been waiting even longer, but I'll show that again.

This one will be 37196 Tre Pol and Pen in Railfreight large logo livery and will form part of a mid 80s fleet for use on my Cornish layout Trevanna Dries.

So far it's old brandings have been removed, the bodysides rubbed down and a couple of steps filled in. The next job involves some cutting work around the windscreen area.

More soon.

IMG_20190619_145303.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wayne. 

How's the layout coming on? 

Rob. 

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Wayne. 

How's the layout coming on? 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

To be honest I haven't done anything for a bit, I keep thinking that what I want to do won't work. The same thing happened when I built Dragon Steels but I think that turned out okay!

I think I need to get it out and just have a play with some stock and get it sorted, it really shouldn't take this long to build a six foot'ish layout!! :(:unsure:

l'll have to pop over to your thread once I find it, to be honest I'm not a huge fan of this updated version of the forum.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

It's not good when you get bogged down, Wayne. The same thing happened to me with Bleat Wharf Mk1 and I ended up starting again. 

Maybe that's the answer? 

And, yes, pop in to Sheep World when you find it........or Bleat Wharf in the Cameo section. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I've not posted in here for a while but I have been working on projects in between doing some O guage wagons for a fellow modeller.

The photo shows the progress on my model of 26034. This is a Heljan model picked up a couple of years ago for a bargain price.

A few basic modifications have been carried out including changing location of roof vents, fitting an etched roof grille and removal of mould lines.

The original intention was for this to be a quick renumbering project but on looking at the paint shade of the model as it comes, I knew this wasn't going to be the case!

More soon.

IMG_20190830_110345.jpg

• Like 2