Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Got some invites to shows confirmed over the last few weeks, the first is in October, ( was to have been the cardiff show, but now it's a little further afield,) so with that date in mind, let's get the hours in.

Two hours on the track cleaning the paint and glue off has to be the most dull job in the hobby, discovered I need to power up the points with motors to increase the power in the throw.

Glued up the back scene and started on the boxing in, they are just propped up to get the feel.

post-9901-0-21404400-1438536250_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-16851200-1438536274_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-66292800-1438536300_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-53566500-1438536316_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-44708900-1438536333_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Time to nuckle down and get this layout into a working state and presentable.

Having a hell of a crap time with three cobalt digital motors salvaged having been temperamental on Ranelagh bridge.

But I'm in contact with DCC a concepts now and hope to remedy them. I need six maybe seven for hands free operation, but during testing this week the track is stinking clogged up with paint, wheels on stock are filthy so three days spent just cleaning and soldering and making good.

I have now separated the boards to get better access and to install more permanent wiring looms beneath. The back scene and boxing in will now start in earnest. About 9 weeks to the first show and the list is endless.

• Like 1

(a)

I have now separated the boards...............................................

( B)

About 9 weeks to the first show and the list is endless.

(a)

Speaking of boards - "Son of Rosamund St." namely its' extension which will portray the semi-derelict and overgrown freight only  'Riverside Branch' has been drawn up full size, and will probably require 3 off  26" x 17" boards, with built in backscene/ends.

The 'Riverside Branch' will operate either as an extension to R.S. or a self contained, stand alone layout. The need for three boards instead of two  is because the pointwork would otherwise be across the single board joint, and will fit inside the new family chariot. The contract for groundworks will shortly be advertised, do you think Mr.Watts would be interested in submitting a tender ?

( B)

Which show ?

Do you need help with any tasks ?

Gissa ring

Big Bro.

Edited by br2975

• 2 weeks later...

No photos yet, But.

The layout is now fully enclosed and has a lighting rig sourced from small under kitchen cabinet lights from screw fix. Linked together between boards.

It's had a coat of Matt black emulsion and looks more presentable now.

Ordered two pictures created from photos for the end back-scenes.

Roughing up an image for an extension to the roadway on the backscene, like the meerkats advert with Arnie.

Received replacement parts for two of my Cobalt motors which should stop the ratcheting clicking some of you may have heard on Ranelagh bridge.

These have been installed and so far so good. Still got an issue with one but in contact with DCC concepts and I expect they will do me proud.

Ordered some more detail parts, grit bins, portaloo, people,but still unsure on what to do about the CJ Hire. Logos. I have crafty paper may try ago myself.

Been to see Ranelagh bridge being set up in its new home at Lord and Butlers shop. It looks fantastic, had a bit of TLC, some extra detailing and made shop friendly. Really pleased to see on permanent show.

Expecting my 66,08,& 60 soon, and have more stock for weathering by Brian Tucker.

All going to plan it should be ready to play trains in around two weeks. Giving me some time to iron out any glitches before the Taunton show in October.

Next up will be the signage for the front of the layout, and the still to be confirmed name.

Will post some pictures Sunday when it's bolted back together.

Oh. I checked to make sure it will fit out the loft...... 10mm spare, but it's bloody awkward.

Have you considered painting the two (?)  supports for the lighting pelmet a more neutral colour than black ?

?

No. I hadn't. But now I am......... They do stand out a tad.

Hopefully a few evening slots will be available from next weekend onward.

Strawberry daikaris will be on hand.......

Still need a controller though, set in my ways with the NCE powercab, and can you bring your wheel cleaner?

dcc concepts have said they will replace their defective replacement. Yippee, but I had a day set aside to wire the layout, so I went out and bought one anyway to progress things.

This is my first attempt at doing the wiring to an accepted standard, most of my efforts have been a bit slap dash, so a bus has been installed and suitable droppers to the rails and Cobalts have been installed.

I need to source some simple push fit connectors now from maplins for the inter board connections.

post-9901-0-51121100-1440616605_thumb.jpg

Decorate the support to look like part of the industrial installation maybe? I think it will notice whatever colour it is so adding some vertical latice work heading up to an unseen tower crane (or some such item) might work as a better option. Latice for yard spot lights for night work maybe? Or a comms tower? Etc

Back on the centre support, would empty 20ft containers get stacked 7 high?

Said no wife ever.

I'm toying with cutting the middle out of the support from the 4th container to the vallance. Using a multi tool.

This will leave two sections which I will disguise as steel towers with lights and cctv gantry.

A bit chunky maybe but it could do the trick.

Don't for one minute think I haven't paid for the time spent in the loft.

Relentless earache. That money, wine, flowers won't curtail.

To that end there's been no ACTION for a good few days now. Doh.

Basically I was been nosey and pestered Paul into inviting me round to have a play on the layout lol. I did take a couple of my locos round to play with thou. The pictures that are posted don't do the layout justice because it just cracking, there's detail everywhere you look. Hopefully Paul won't mind me posting some of the pics I took of it

post-19824-0-50328200-1441707466_thumb.jpg

post-19824-0-14406300-1441707530_thumb.jpg

post-19824-0-37321400-1441707554_thumb.jpg

post-19824-0-89021000-1441707610_thumb.jpg

post-19824-0-14149900-1441707667_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Ben.

All the pictures I took are blurred and not at all in focus. That's why nowt appeared of your stock.

I am having another try at photogrificating the layout this week. So once I've mastered it, come back and we can waste another 3hrs giggling and mi behaving in my loft.

Phnaff.phnaff.

• Like 1