Upgrading a Lima LMS GUV

I think I read a few weeks ago on the information stand next to the preserved one at Bo'ness that it is the only remaining one?  A picture at: http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10094.htm.  It is currently in the "shelter" between the coach and diesel loco sheds at Bo'ness, and therefore one side viewable to anyone visiting Bo'ness.  Further details at:  http://www.bkrailway.co.uk/

I think there is another at the Royal Deeside Railway. There were pictures on their website at one time but the albums are no longer available. Here is one of the pictures showing its arrival:

post-5673-0-32659800-1406708792.jpg

Regards.

• Like 3

I think there is another at the Royal Deeside Railway. There were pictures on their website at one time but the albums are no longer available. Here is one of the pictures showing its arrival:

attachicon.gif0705090018.jpg

Regards.

Now that looks a little better cared for.   :locomotive: That's a good clear picture of the end and, what do you know, one of the buffers is ahoo.

John

Edited by brossard

I wonder how much better that one at the Royal Deesside Railway would look with flush glazing....... Oh, wait a minute.....

Very nice work John as always. You've raised the bar on upgrading these 42' GUVs - I was happy enough with mine but now tempted to do more! I've found it particularly satisfying to get something good out of older and less promising beginnings.

All the best,

Iain

• Like 1

Thanks Iain, glad to know my efforts are of benefit to others.

Underframe and bogies are now black.  The bolt heads can just be made out, very subtle effect.  Once weathered I think they'll stand out a bit more.

I painted the van body crimson lake this morning, so I'll let that dry overnight.

John

Hi, Just looked through my books and had a look on Paul's photo site, The original buffer was an oval shape, not as big an oval as longer coaches like the twelve wheelers but definitely an oval, Essery/Jenkinson's first book shows the original buffer before the wee bit was cut along the top to better clear the dropflap, I can discern that the buffer face is quite curved but the angle of the photo makes the buffer look kinda round. Some vehicles on Paul's sight still have these buffers and one can see them on the drawing too. Later on vehicles received replacements which were a standard 18''LMS round coach buffer with a large cutaway at the top, again as seen in some of Paul's photos, a very useful site Paul....

The CCT buffers I do are for the 4 wheel CCT and are wagon based but I'm working on LMS coach buffers and may do the original to replace the ones on my bogie CCT. 

Dave Franks.

From Jenks and Essery appears that the LMS stopped applying this when they changed to the simplified livery. Both of the officials with complex livery have them, neither of the later officials with simple livery have them.

As to buffers, well I can't see any oval ones in the book, or on my site. There is a lovely photo of an oval buffer on the open CCT Plate 123. There is no need for clipping as the top is aligned with the top of the headstock. The end drawing shows the buffer head drawn the same as on the covered PMV. The one exception may be plate 111 but is that a smaller head without any clipping? The authors do point out that Plate 114 has much larger heads with a larger 'clipped' area.

Paul

Okay, I've just found my notes from measuring up LMS coach buffers, the CCT in store at Bo-ness still has the original oval buffers and the size would have been (before the cutaway was done) 171/2'' x 15'' (not much of an oval I admit) and with the top cutaway 133/4'' vertically. As I said in an earlier post they were not a big oval buffer like the LMS twelve wheelers but they didn't need to be for a 42ft vehicle. The picture 228 on page 208 of Jenkinson/Essery's original book shows a new CCT with the full buffer before the top was trimmed down to better clear the dropflap, maybe, over time the buffer came into contact with the wooden dropflap and 11/4'' was taken off the top.

At Bo-ness the CCT was tight to the bufferstops and coupled to a porthole coach so decent face on photos were impossible.

Paul, the pictures on your website of CCT M37776 and M37794 show the oval buffer and others show the replacement standard 18'' coach buffer with the big chunk off the top which looks like about 3'' and also the CCT at Royal Deeside which has the replacement 18'' coach buffers.

Hope that clears things up.

I'll post a couple of photos once I've sorted them out.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

It's a shame Dave that I think I've built all the vehicles requiring truncated buffers that I need.  Still, I'm sure this thread will inspire thousands to upgrade their GUVs and build some CCTs.

Tonight, I thought I'd better turn my attention to the mundane topic of security bars.  I made some frames from plastic strip and cyano'ed the wires.

P1010001-002.JPG.65bcd9065c2ebd079ea598b8b1149df1.JPG

I'll paint these black.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I finally got the GUV presentable.  

P1010001-003.JPG.bac52d47e30bb5085141525e6a9d205a.JPG

I'm not super happy with the paint finish but the lighting has a lot to do with that I think.

I found some leftover windows from a LaserGlaze Mk1 Suburban pack.  With some slight sanding and trimming I was able to fit them.  You can just see the security bars.

I also fitted grab handles and door levers using 0.45mm NS wire.  I used Comet Tee handles - fiddly!

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

HI John,

Looks good....

Reminds me of the detail work we used to do for customers that asked for a better model when it was released.

So - that's over 30 years ago!

Times fly in this hobby.

Thanks for recreating - for me at least, a retrospective model.

ps - the out of box Lima at the time was £3.95 - we did all the work and resprayed them for sale at £21.99!

Thanks Phil.  I must have had this over 20 years and I'm only now getting around to fixing it up!  I wouldn't like to have to make a living doing this, it takes me such a long time I would starve.

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Inspired by this thread, I am giving this a go as well John. I managed to get a bargain priced Tatlow book to aid the underframe rebuild. 

I am hoping to recreate a later lot vehicle which appears to have lost its beading and acquired some vertical panel beads. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h157ec466

There is also a picture on Paul's website showing a departmental vehicle from the same lot with the later welded bogies. As the example I want to create has the bogies in shadow I have decided to go with the welded type. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought one off the 'Bay in LMS livery and have worked it up a little into an acceptable 'layout' model; not claiming it to be finescale or super-accurate.  I've replaced the bogies with a pair from a donor Dapol non-gangwayed coach kit running on Bachmann wheelsets, put my standard lamp brackets on, and truncated whitemetal buffers, can't remember whose but might have been Lanarkshires', then given it some fairly heavy duty weathering washover; it would have been pretty mucky by my period.  It is the layout's representative of LMS coach livery.  It still has the original Lima finish and lettering.  I've not got my long awaited round tuit yet, but when I do I'll have a look at handrails, underframe detail, and maybe new ventilators and interior paint.

A cheap and cheerful upgrade that is within the comfort zone of most modellers, and well worth the effort.  The correct bogies and buffers lift the model immediately and very effectively.  My worry with this sort of job is that the coach ends up sitting too high or too low, and it is perhaps 0.25mm too high, scale 0.6 inch, but this is within the range of variation caused by loading and spring wear in service.

• Like 3

I have spent a very relaxed day hacking mine about. A chance find in a shop which was itself a chance find on a family day out. Less than a tenner for what I think is a very nice model north of the solebar isn't bad at all. 

The weaknesses of the model are the very stuff of happy modelling. A perfect representation of this vehicle would just be yet another model I couldnt justify buying and it would be like everyone elses. 

I have used John's brass truss fabrication as inspiration to have a go at cutting brass for the first time!! 

• Like 2

Hi brossard,

I've just found this thread.  I have one of these in the early BR crimson/cream livery, (I think it might be a Lima model), I don't know if they ever carried that livery (rule number1 applies). What you have done looks fantastic!  I'm just at the point of trying some weathering again, so I'm not that brave to attempt what you have.

Thanks for posting this I feel my modelling MoJo coming back as I'm trying to improve an ancient Tri-ang water tower, sad I know.

Mark.

Edited by Blackthorn
  • Like 2

Very nice to hear from you Mark.  This van seems quite popular and has never been redone AFAIK.  Some of the older models are really quite good above the solebars and really need some titivating underneath.  I have tackled a lot of these, including the Hornby Palethorpes 6 wheelers.  They scrub up well.

Good luck with your mojo, hoping you can get back at it soon.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

My effort from a few years ago, thanks to John’s inspiration:

25FCAA47-BE38-420F-A45A-97BD5C4845A2.jpeg.630bc5ad3c722bcb954795e4996a22b4.jpeg

CE585EBC-D278-4E0B-A3D4-64C041FFE665.jpeg.cc46ad6d7457d1ed0ebb9e2281fe8995.jpeg

Bachmann LMS bogies, white metal LMS buffers I think from Comet/Wizard, clipped at the top, some spare laser glaze, renumbered and weathered.  I’ve got a few (3-4) more to do and will probably do much the same but replace the brake wheel and respray as well.

Iain

• Like 8