• RMweb Gold

Oh that looks sooooooo good well done. However to maintain that standard how long is it going to take to finish the whole junction. Or is it your retirement layout just started a bit early.KeithPs Merry Mincepie to you all

Thanks Keith if I get some regular me time hopefully I’ll crack on quite quickly with this board but Iwant yo just take my time an enjoy it, I want ELJ to have a wow factor that will get people talking hopefully ;) I think it’ll take a couple of years though but defo my layout of a lifetime I think.

Happy mince pies, sherry and other festive things to you to mate ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Best looking modelling plank I've ever seen! Looking forward to seeing it grow.

All the best for Xmas and the New Year Paul.

Cheers Les

Thanks Les very much appreciated, sorry late reply all the best to you to mate an here’s to some good modelling in 2018.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This mornings work has seen the timbers finished on the crossing, not quite as easy as it looked as I had to leave enough room for the point rodding for the first catch point and the signal pulley wire to fit through between the timbers.

Cheers

post-18716-0-40569300-1515144104_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-89519200-1515144127_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks fellas, I normally stain them with Wilkos Jacobean dark oak, just not sure whether to lay the rails first or stain the sleepers, just worried staining first will make fixing the chairs more difficult.

Cheers

I always spray paint or stain my sleepers first, you make such a mess otherwise. I have never had trouble laying the chairs afterwards and the adhesion is still good if using paint or stain.

Hope this helps,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Just catching up on your thread and I like what I see. Keep up the good work, your layout is going to be stunning if you carry on to the same standard.

Rod

Thanks Rod very much appreciated, hopefully I’ll get a bit more done over the weekend.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I always spray paint or stain my sleepers first, you make such a mess otherwise. I have never had trouble laying the chairs afterwards and the adhesion is still good if using paint or stain.

Hope this helps,

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn I’ve tried both ways myself, my only doubt was I’d heard a few people saying it can affect the ashesion, it’ll be far easier staining them first though.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

The only other bit of advice I would give, is that if you do decide to spray them. Stick the sleepers down on a bit of old hardboard and lay them onto some double sided tape, otherwise they will literally blow away, guess how I found out. : )

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been busy weathering again this week but I did spend 20 minutes the other night finishing the staining of the sleepers in the head shunt, I’m hoping to start getting the rails down on this line first as at least I can run something up an down all 20” if it ;) I can also get the buffer stop fitted then to.

ELJ has a new controller on the way in the shape of a 5 amp Sig-na Trak Ace 2 so looking forward to having a play with that as I was just not impressed one bit with the power cab.

I’ve also ordered this little cheeky van and some check rail chairs have arrived from across the pond from Shapeways.

post-18716-0-09817600-1516866410_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-33614600-1516866422_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-07656900-1516866433.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Anything in particular? Always useful to hear others’ experiences of these things...

Morning mate, I just wasn’t impressed with it, unfortunately it wasn’t powerful enough for O Gauge and it was just awkward trying to operate the higher functions. Some people really like them but it just wasn’t for me.

Cheers

Morning Paul,

Touchcab takes some beating, very user friendly.

Martyn.

Agreed with Martyn, I haven't set mine up with my Lenz yet, but I have had a go with one and it's brilliant.

I know you've got the Signatrak system awaiting delivery, that again looks like a good system.

All looking good, have you got rail and chairs yet?

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Agreed with Martyn, I haven't set mine up with my Lenz yet, but I have had a go with one and it's brilliant.

I know you've got the Signatrak system awaiting delivery, that again looks like a good system.

All looking good, have you got rail and chairs yet?

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, yer I’ve got a box full of cheers an rails had them since last year so can’t wait to start, hopefully the Sig-an Trak will be in the post on Monday :D

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A busy weekend away from modelling but I did grab an hour so ELJ has finally got its first official rails down!

And the first visitor was an EE Type 1 passing through on its way for weatgering.

post-18716-0-88017000-1517865976_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-03344800-1517866002_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-19653400-1517866049_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-34179100-1517866069_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3