• RMweb Gold

Isn't it fun printing out and playing trains? 

I've been doing the same recently too.  Checking cross-member positions for Blue point clearance etc

Previously I have just laid the track to what the plan shows but this time I will paste the plan down AND draw on the baseboard top where buildings and yard gear is intended to fit.

Excellent work.

Best

Thanks Barnaby it’s getting quite exciting, once the first board is built with the framework and the Templot is fixed in place I can work out the unusual sleeper lengths and can mark out the point rodding etc I can’t wait.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job, looks really good, do You seal the powders with anything?

Thanks mate, yes I seal them with matt varnish, I tend to apply powder seal, remove a lot of it then repeat the process then when I’m finally happy I seal it for a final time, the varnish does tone the colour of the powders down a bit but you get used to it and can work it accordingly.

Hope that helps

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim, it was hard handing it back once I’d finished it :(

Cheers

I know the feeling...... I bet the owner is very proud of the work / time / effort that you put into it.....

seriously envious ...  :beee:

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I know the feeling...... I bet the owner is very proud of the work / time / effort that you put into it.....

seriously envious ...  :beee:

Jim

Many thanks Jim he’s made up (well I hope he is :O )

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Eeeks man, that's GRUBBIER than my OO one :O  :scared: , splendid job young man, just splendid. :sungum:

Thanks Andy it’s nearly finished finished now an there’s a few pics on my 7mm work bench thread, as for ELJ I’ve ordered some ballast in two sizes to have a play with an looking at it I think it’ll look spot on for O Gauge so I’m pretty happy as ballast was one thing worrying me in7mm.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That 08 is the 'dogs'..,! Re: ballast, I'm sure loads of people have given you their 3 pennies worth, but I just use OO and N and soil!

Can't wait to see track laying commence.

Les

Thanks Les much appreciated the 08 is finished, there’s some pics on my 7mm workbench thread but I’ll post a teaser here ;)

The ballast arruvedcthe other day an it looks great so can’t wait to start it, as for ELJ I’ve finally made a start on the first baseboard, hopefully I’ll get a bit more done tonight to but here’s the pics, one of the reasons I didn’t get as much done yesterday was I had this little lady to look after to :O

post-18716-0-94793900-1512415748_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-87857600-1512415776_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-37804700-1512415791_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-81909000-1512415819_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-88474500-1512415834_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-27358800-1512415871_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Getting there, slowly or not doesn't matter Paul, at least your getting there.

Thanks Andy only been a year in the making ;) I’m trying to catch up on your thread, it’s only just over a week since I’ve been on here an you’ve nearly finished yours!! :O

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

A daft question perhaps, Paul, but is that buffer stop all metal?  If so, you're going to need an insulating break somewhere close to it to avoid a short circuit.

Maybe there's something I've missed in the pics?

Rod

Evening Rod don’t worry I’ve insulated it with thin card either side of the cross section, I’ll also use plastic fishplates Just to make sure ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Looking good I have also brought some of his buffers but of the Great Western version. I used to stain all my sleepers, but what with health and safety the stain is no where near as good as it used to be. So I have now found a much easier way, I put some double sided sellotape down on a piece of old board and stick a load of sleepers down and then just give it a waft of Halfords Satin Black. To my eyes the colour is spot on and if you want the sleepers to look decrepit just wipe the tops gently with some thinners, then I lay them and glue the chairs on.

Weathered timbers,

post-7101-0-86772600-1512674952_thumb.jpg

Satin black,

post-7101-0-96427500-1512675005_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-16916000-1512676554_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Looking good I have also brought some of his buffers but of the Great Western version. I used to stain all my sleepers, but what with health and safety the stain is no where near as good as it used to be. So I have now found a much easier way, I put some double sided sellotape down on a piece of old board and stick a load of sleepers down and then just give it a waft of Halfords Satin Black. To my eyes the colour is spot on and if you want the sleepers to look decrepit just wipe the tops gently with some thinners, then I lay them and glue the chairs on.

Weathered timbers,

attachicon.gifIMG_0270.JPG

Satin black,

attachicon.gifIMG_0285.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0345.JPG

Martyn.

They look great Martyn I’ve used Wilkos Jacobean dark oak wood stain, I’ll post some pics this morning, what have you used to paint the rails? I’ve used precision paints rusty rails but it’s far to shiny.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s the last couple of nights work, three coats of Wilkos Jacobean dark oak wood stain on the sleepers and Phoenix precision paints rusty rails, I’ve used this in the past in 4mman it always lookedok once toned down with powders but it just looks far to shiny in 7mm even with just one coat,so last night I’ve given it a coat of sleeper grime, I’ll tackle it with powders tonight, it’s amazing how one thing can lookok in one scale but not in another, all enjoyable though.

Cheers

post-18716-0-82185200-1512713082_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-50823300-1512713097_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-31391600-1512713179_thumb.jpeg

post-18716-0-40715600-1512713193_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6