A question of fascias

cromptonnut

I don't think the discussion has been had yet - do we need to define a standard colour for fascia/board front panels?

Matt black is an obvious candidate as it's well established amongst many modellers, as is some shade of green.

But does it matter if we aren't all the same colour on our board sides?

• RMweb Gold

Glad it's only a recommendation. As I'm using my layout with a modular adaptor it will use my usual colour on that as it matches the curtains, and I'm not sewing another lot ;)

Wonder if I can blend colours on the adaptor . . .

What's your usual fascia colour, PaulRhB?

I have a tin of British Rail Blue that was mixed up for me by a DIY shop based on the BS colours, which I prefer to use as it matches my layouts era - and I suppose to a degree it doesn't actually matter if I use black, blue or fluorescent pink on my boards when they all match or are out together but it's the "combined view" that is important - but then the impression is that it doesn't actually matter.

Is it something to "write into the standard" or is it one of those cosmetic things that doesn't matter and is just a recommendation/guideline?

:no: :no:

Do you REALLY need an answer to that question?

I was thinking Malachite Green - with the emphasis on the mispronunciation of the 'ch' :butcher:

Will the North Eastern group prefer "teak effect" wood stain? Or the mid country folk a faded shade of pink. I did think some form of maroon and yellow stripes might work as my only concession to "modern" has been the recent purchase of a 33 in EWS livery which I'll attempt to embed a DCC chip into.

It probably shouldn't matter but I do see the point of having some conformity and suppose black is about as neutral territory as it gets. But I'm not convinced it will go well with my chintz drapes.

• RMweb Gold

<decorating hints> Dulux Teal Tension makes a nice "rail blue" feature wall, combine with white painted woodwork for that hint of Finsbury Park deltic... :D </decorating hints>

And did you get that past the missus for the baby's room? . . . . No thought not ;)

<decorating hints> Dulux Teal Tension makes a nice "rail blue" feature wall, combine with white painted woodwork for that hint of Finsbury Park deltic... :D </decorating hints>

Do you have to plate over some of the windows too?

I'd probably stick with black you tend to be able to get black in some name ( anytime other colours tend to come and go (other than magnolia or white of course.)

you even get a free sample of Rich Black on the Dulux website

https://www.dulux.co.uk/colours

Claim your free* tester now using voucher code TESTERGIVEAWAY

Steve

And did you get that past the missus for the baby's room? . . . . No thought not ;)

Don't be silly. For a 6 month old baby girl the standard livery is Wessex Trains pink*. :wub:

(But the way to do it is to "not notice it looks like rail blue" until after you've painted the whole wall....allegedly. :good_mini: )

(*No, it really won't be....)

• 3 weeks later...

Is ... it one of those cosmetic things that doesn't matter and is just a recommendation/guideline?

Taking @Kenton's side, I fail to see how this is even a consideration. We're only talking about bringing modules together for a shameless weekend of playing trains together on a larger layout than any one of us can produce.

Fascia colours, curtain height, pleat width, pleat direction, etc only become a consideration when it's time to produce something for an exhibition, and I'd hesitate to suggest that we're light years from that point just yet. Ergo, who cares?

Archived