IKEA APA Box to be DISCONTINUED

• RMweb Premium

Just putting this out there, as I believe it may impact a few peoples plans...

Unfortunately this storage unit is being discontinued in Feb 2014, but we should have some deliveries mid-September. Can’t guarantee this for definite, but will be able to check closer to the time.

Best wishes,

Aisha

Aisha Gibson

Senior Press Officer

IKEA UK and Ireland

Please re read your original posting, to be discontinued 6 months AGO (is being discontinued...) but some deliveries in the future? It doesn't make logical sense. And why not put this in the thread about these boxes? Just a sales ploy methinks.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

By that you imply I work for Ikea or gain something which I can firmly say I do not. I started a new thread because people may not see the post in the other thread. Stocks at nearly all stores are currently zero. I was only trying to give advice that this medium was soon to dissappear.

Dont think Ill bother next time

By that you imply I work for Ikea or gain something which I can firmly say I do not. I started a new thread because people may not see the post in the other thread. Stocks at nearly all stores are currently zero. I was only trying to give advice that this medium was soon to dissappear.

Dont think Ill bother next time

Apologies, the email was signed off

•  

Best wishes,

Aisha

Aisha Gibson

Senior Press Officer

Thankfully we now have an explanation of what an APA box is thanks to Crompton Nut. Dont overlook most people on here only read a few of the thousands and thousands of postings every day, I very rarely open layout related postings.

The original message from Aisha still doesn't make chronological sense. May be the Legend is correct??

Paul

I would have thought a poster name called Steve wouldn't be signing off as Aisha... seemed fairly obvious to me that it was a pasted email although perhaps putting it in a quote box may have helped.

Apa boxes have been around for a while and have been used significantly, I am a little surprised that people still might not be aware of them and their use to the modeller.

That is a touch annoying. They're very useful for general storage. I'm sure IKEA have something else lined up to replace them as storage is a big part of their line up and everyone (with children that is, I use mine to store shoes...) has need to cheap affordable storage solutions.

• RMweb Premium

In reply to my replacement question I have had this...

Please see an alternative below, unfortunately there will not be a like-for-like replacement:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S79003675/

I have just found out that the only stores with stock at the moment are, Belfast, Dublin, Southampton, Lakeside, Birmingham and Tottenham. These stores will also discontinue the line in Feb 2015.

Best wishes,

Aisha

Doesn't look much use to us. Although I saw these when I was last there and had all sorts of micro ideas... http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40277609/ These seem to be modular with removeable ends/tops to create different combinations.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Have you shown Aisha what we've been using APA boxes for?

Yes, my initial contact was with her boss who was a little bit enthused.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, the models look great. We always love to hear from people who use our products in creative ways. I will share this internally with some of the relevant teams. I hope you keep using our products, maybe you can find other items that work well for you.

That said, although Ikea are a creative company I believe they tried to shut down the Ikea Hackers website for some reason?

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Site-that-brought-us-Texas-Ikea-cat-playground-5576633.php

• RMweb Premium

There's a couple on ebay. There's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-kids-APA-Storage-Toys-Project-Box-Bench-White-Wood-Pine-with-Removable-Lid-/331286434990?pt=Kids_Teens_Furniture&hash=item4d2235d4ae

All the way from Santa Ana, California. Yours for £23.95, plus £48 postage!

This one is intriguing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WOODEN-TOY-STORAGE-UNIT-BOX-CHILDRENS-KIDS-TOYS-CHEST-BOXES-WHITE-CHEAP-APA-/251583543108?pt=UK_HG_ChildFurniture_RL&hash=item3a938c3744

Is it a genuine APA or an APA clone? It doesn't really make it clear. I think it's a clone (more than 10 available/21 sold) but for twenty quid and free postage it could be an option. :yes:

APA lives!

David

Ah boo :( I've got two that I haven't got round to using yet, special price if anyone gets really desperate ;)

Really though, they've disappeared from sale before only to come back in later on. A while ago the box of choice for micros seemed to be Ikea's SNACK item, which disappeared for a couple of years and is now available occasionally in UK stores. Hopefully the APA will be available in some stores long enough for people on here to procure one by any means necessary, and something else will available soon that satisfactorily replace it - for our application anyway!

Coincidentally I nipped into an Ikea today for the first time in months while I'm down in Newcastle for work, didn't see any APAs but did see a couple of alternatives that could work.

* The SNACK box is 54x35 cm, available in two different heights and with an optional lid aswell. That's compared to the 65x30 APA with its included lid and fixed height.

They seem to still be widely available here in the States, but I picked up three more Sunday just in case.  I now have enough to complete both APA projects I had planned - an OO SLT in a double APA, and an N scale terminal throat in three APAs chained together.

• 5 weeks later...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! only just seen this thread, right I am off to Ikea now to buy up all stocks of these APA boxes, then make a killing on ebay at a later date, my only worry is when I get to Ikea the queues will be full of 2 types of clientel, cool looking dudes with 10 per trolley pretending they are for home storage, and the slightly dishevelled types, those that have a slightly off putting aroma donning bulky ex Army & Navy stores ruck sacks .....  :stinker:

I bet aisle 87 at Ikea Warrington will be jammed packed today.

Happy modelling

Craig.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with the APA box concept for several N & Nn3 concepts, and whilst I accept they make you work hard on the design, I find for a roundy layout that are too short, and you hard pressed to get more than just a 400mm passing loop behind the box.

I bought 6 Ikea APA boxes - 5 unpacked - 1 assembled but not cut into. I think they could find a new home somewhere else?  Offered individually or as job lot £11 each which was the purchase price - Cash payment please -  buyer collects. I'm on the Bucks/Oxon border (not far from the route of the Brill tramway)

Thanks Kelvin

Archived