Freight trains along the North Wales coast.

class"66"

• RMweb Gold

If they can do that one from Wales to Ireland, then they could do one across the Bering Strait, which is a shorter distance, albeit it's across a plate boundary.

the weather on the bering straights is more favorable than holyhead in winter too

• RMweb Gold

Details, details.

Don't forget the principal gauge in the People's Republic of China is 1435 mm. So maybe there'll be no need for change of gauge: new track could be laid at standard gauge. I would expect things like that would be sorted out after the decision to build the tunnel had been taken.

Alternatively, if we are still talking about a tunnel to Dublin, I would expect the conversion of all Irish railways to standard gauge and conversion of DART to 25 kV AC would be included in the costings.

We can but dream.

Going off what I see on a local website, photographers are pretty desperate for something to photograph so an increase in freight is bound to send them ape. The final best year for freight down here was 1990. When the freightliner trains finished the Slow lines and loops were ripped up and so if anything 'sits down' now, its generally a case of line closed and bustitution. In other words, the line as it stands today cannot stand too much freight mingling with the DMU's unless control relaxes its grip. Or is there a friendlier face towards freight these days?  

Archived