Looe SLT

ajaxjones

so to the shoreline !

first, looking at the pics, its a kind of rock layer, so lots of PVA and some cornish gravel

lots of PVA and stick it all down

post-22615-0-47201900-1412813932.jpg

then I have this green turf scatter, so that goes on next

post-22615-0-10593300-1412813944.jpg

then to flatten it down and fix it, i used a pipette and soaked it with woodlands scenic cement that is pretty watery

post-22615-0-00340300-1412813950.jpg

only one piece so far , which was the test piece

but brown emulsion on the grass, then with some acrylic semi-gloss black, and black ink wash on the rocks, then white weather powder on the rocks again to bring them back up 

post-22615-0-95763300-1412813956.jpg

some bits to fill in, but going for the black seaweed look

hey, well the work continues. The whole wall is now done. Carried on with the same technique, but also added a gloss green line in at the top of the waterline. Its not that visible on the photo, but does look like its there. Gives the feeling of the black seaweed slime and a touch of growth at the tide mark

post-22615-0-74171900-1412995524.jpg

also could not resist the first attempt on the stone sign either, basics done, needs weathering and some tinting, bullt the size is right and took ages to pick some white gravel out of the g-scale ballast. White powder weathering to pick out the stones and the base was sieved grit. Might even pick it out in white acrylic to feature it more , but will see once the timber has been toned down.

post-22615-0-84897600-1412995542.jpg

Also the first bit of track is glued down and the rusty pen applied, ballast to go in once the grass and bushes have dried this weekend. The track is really nice , its from finescale and some brass fishplates to go on as well to join with the next piece. Steel track and rust looks pretty good and first foray into a non-peco world. Just wish the fishplates were not so fiddly !

post-22615-0-32728100-1412995554.jpg

I have a feeling that was the picture I was copying !

put in some dark forest undergrowth today, started to fill out the hillside as well. Most likely all obscured by trees, but the aim is for dense foilage. Also ballast down and a mix of various static grass either side. Dropped some longer grass tufts in, waiting for it to dry before it gets a trim.

post-22615-0-52536300-1413080345.jpg

Ground cover is a huge mix of forest undergrowth scatter, bushes, russet  mix, dark green scatter, dark green leaves, forest blend bushes, brown foliage and autumn russet scatter. Ballast is peco scene fine grade grey weathered ballast. Laid dry with watered PVA added after.

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone full DCC with sound, oops. also got some ten commandments stone walls in, and some traffic signs. If you don't know looe , the roads always seem to be collapsing with roadworks :(

Also from made in stone, some modern rail benches, the perforated steel bent ones. If you go to work by train, you probably have sat on the blue ones. Slight hiccup with the sound as was sent the wrong chip, but should be sorted tomorrow.

All track ballast and riverside down, feeling good about this so far, lots more to do with foilage, but waiting for more trees

post-22615-0-57618100-1414111903.jpg

Although I now have the dimensions of the building, a nicely built 30 foot by 10 foot by 9 foot high and walls 6" thick, I've also discovered that the chain link fencing is square link (scalelink fence on order) there are purple flowers, now on order too, and all the boxes seem to be custom built. Plus lots of old poles in the ground and walls and fences like none of the ones I bought  :)

Also managed to get a nice video or two, including one from the road above to capture the weathering effects on the roof of the midday train arriving. Seems that the large box at the end of the platform is some form of radio base station?  Buffer stop however seems pretty straightforward and have a GWR rail version on order. Sadly one of the GWR benches seems to have been removed, but at least one at the far end has been retained. Close up pics of all the posters taken ready for the laser printer next week and hopefully a trip to Kernow model shop later this week to buy up plenty of plasticard for the signage, posts and poles. Interestingly all the fence and gate posts are made from old rail stock, which should look nice when made.

Also surprised at the number of prototype fishplates in use, there are about 4 or 5 along the length of the platform. Discovered an outlet pipe into the river that I'll have to include. Still looking for a model version of the ubiquitous Biffa bin. I've got about 90 pics to go up in an album at some point, quite fun to realise how much detail there can be around to add in. There are a couple of small details sitting on the tracks, which I have to say I have no idea what they are, but also details like a sleeper with an orange square and a spray painted number on one as well.

will try to get to coombe junction tomorrow for the complete set !

here is one of Liskeard, but the mist today messed up with the stitching software, hence the wicked gradient on the line !!

https://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=b2068052-bae1-42f8-ae7d-f3d9bce4d1e1&m=false&i=0:0:0&c=0:0:0&z=462.774529516437&d=-1.22631256152358:-1.22631256152358:-1.19810977289811&p=0:0&t=False

will try to get to coombe junction tomorrow for the complete set !

here is one of Liskeard, but the mist today messed up with the stitching software, hence the wicked gradient on the line !!

https://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=b2068052-bae1-42f8-ae7d-f3d9bce4d1e1&m=false&i=0:0:0&c=0:0:0&z=462.774529516437&d=-1.22631256152358:-1.22631256152358:-1.19810977289811&p=0:0&t=False

But at least it still shows me what the underside of the canopy looks like...  :)

After the field trip, scratch build of the station has started with building, switch/relay? Boxes on the platform and and timetable signs and info boards under way. Brass telephone box to be made and  I've also modified some lamps from Kernow models to add a thicker base and some banding the real ones seem to have at the top. Tackling the fence using plasticard rail for the uprights and cut down dress pins for the railings. It's not "exactly" to scale as it needs a bit of squishing to fit, but numerically it should all be there with the right amounts of items and layout.

post-22615-0-95537600-1415060158_thumb.jpg

post-22615-0-13524200-1415060187_thumb.jpg

Roof and internal lights being readied for the waiting room. 

Originally I thought that the structure lineside just down from the platform was a relay box of sorts, but it seems to be more of a radio base station of some sorts?  Anyone have an idea of what it might be?  In any case, i've built an approximation of it.

post-22615-0-68239200-1415060842_thumb.jpg

yep, pretty sure it was a cab as well, which is why I bought one, lol. Then again, once you go there with a camera to take pics rather than just go shopping to liskeard a whole heap of stuff leaps out. Somehow one of the GWR benches has gone missing as well, just something chained to the steel bench now. I was actually tempted to stand on the platform with my new years clown outfit on, and take a selfie. Then when anyone said why would you have a clown on the platform I could whip out the picture :) LIkewise one of the platform lights seems to have the top bashed in, no doubt from a heavy duty seagull. So I'll have to model my version on march 2014 when the light was working :)

I'm not sure that modifying the prototype to reflect the model is in the rules though :)

Working at the back now, pavement from some 1200 grade wet and dry with grey edging. fixed to card to give a slight edge. Scratch build a bus shelter and some ten commandment relay boxes cut down for the BT/Cable boxes. Likewise the walls are cut down resin, washed in black and grey with some dirt at the bottom. Need to install a seat and light for the shelter with some posters as well. Photo reductions of the originals hopefully. 

post-22615-0-82545900-1415507781.jpg

based on this

post-22615-0-47627000-1415507825.jpg

Now to move up the hill, I was going to go for an easy option and just fill with foilage, but decided based on a challenge to scratch build the telephone exchange buildings that are found half way up the hill.

Also after a bit of research the stonework of the wall matches really nicely with the paper slate wall from model railway scenery, as well as the other walls matching the pointed slate and the weathered ashlar on the building itself, so should be pretty good match to start with

Needed a bit of scale adjustment, but the mockup is in proportion of sorts and I should have enough space to make half profile buildings and will break up the back nicely i think. Also as I know they are there, I couldn't really leave them out.

post-22615-0-96702000-1415756175.jpg

First task will be to construct the various front walls and slopes and see how much space I can squeeze in for depth of the buildings.

post-22615-0-79157800-1415756122.jpg

Dry slate wall on the left that goes right up the hillside and the pointed slate work on the right for the base of the buildings

some free textures and the building drawn and then printed out and cut, seems to be going together. Retaining walls and pathways this weekend , finish up the building , fit glazing and build the lower building next.

Just done in 2mm and 1mm card and lots of glue, matt varnish next and some weathering powder should give it the grubby look I'm after. 

post-22615-0-31895600-1416026405.jpg

Archived