Blank canvas for a layout

David Bigcheeseplant

Having my loft converted to a workshop and finding it a great place to model as everything is to hand, I brought a set of drawers from IKEA and have all my modelling bits in one place.

I have a space of fourteen foot by two down one side that I intend to build a layout, having had many ideas for something to build for years, I have the problem of what to build, I intend to make a make a broad gauge model of Wycombe but also I need to build something standard gauge in P4 to run all the stuff I have been building, do I go for something prototypical or freelance? It??™s amazing that with so many ideas in my head in the past I am at a loss of what to do.

David

Guest oldlugger

Having my loft converted to a workshop and finding it a great place to model as everything is to hand, I brought a set of drawers from IKEA and have all my modelling bits in one place.

I have a space of fourteen foot by two down one side that I intend to build a layout, having had many ideas for something to build for years, I have the problem of what to build, I intend to make a make a broad gauge model of Wycombe but also I need to build something standard gauge in P4 to run all the stuff I have been building, do I go for something prototypical or freelance? It?????s amazing that with so many ideas in my head in the past I am at a loss of what to do.

David

Hello David!

What region and period is your P4 stock? That might help narrow down the area of search a bit. Something small and achievable would be a good idea bearing in mind the enormity of the task ahead with the Wycombe broad gauge project. With this in mind freelance would probably be better - less restriction, although with the prototype it's all there for you, already planned out. For me I'd go for the off beat location, clapped out look with an interesting but simple track plan. What about one of Iain Rice's track plan books for layouts in small spaces?

Cheers

Simon

I need to build something standard gauge in P4 to run all the stuff I have been building, do I go for something prototypical or freelance?

If all the stuff you have been building (will build) is specific to one train company and period go for prototypical - but if it covers a wider range of periods and companies then freelance "non specific" would be better ? Running a modern diesel in an Edwardian scene just looks wrong - though the reverse you maybe could get away with by proclaiming that modeller's old excuse "it's preserved"

Most of my stock is 1960s steam or diesel, although due to stock needed on Aylesbury there may be some 1950s stuff, add to that my love for GWR 1900 and there is a real mix, oh and the 1850s broad gauge stuff too.

I am possibly looking for some kind of yard, and not so much of a station as Aylesbury would do that for me. I was thinking of supporting it on tressles as it would allow me take it out if needed, also there is the possiblity of doing something in a U shape round the other end of the loft to my workbench, I would think my loft at layout level is 8-10 feet.

David

• RMweb Gold

Why not build half permanent and half portable ? That way, you could take the portable section out to exhibit, or replace it with another layout at a later stage ?

I'm intending to build a connecting trackwork in my loft to join all my micro layouts together, so they can be run as a complete layout - with trains actually going from somewhere to somewhere else.

Stu

Thame would be nice and fits in with my interest in the Wycombe Railway, I have also thought of building Wycombe in broad gauge but having a removable track base that would allow me to drop in standard gauge track, the idea being the line never got extended to Thame and remained a terminus.

Loudwater and Wooban Green also apeal

David

Archived