Hornby track packs... who actually buys them ?

Graham Walters

I've been looking through the Hornby uncatalogue,  a dangerous thing to do at the best of times, mainly to see if their assembled track packs represent value for money, and are a good way to invest in track.

I may be the last one to realise it, but I get the impression they are not aimed at the more serious modeller at all, they are all aimed at expanding the rail network on your trackmat, the one item in a set most people discard straight away.

They do seem value for money when looked at like that, but to the serious modeller they are a poor investment, or am I wrong.

I have picked up track packs over the years when I've found them at bargain prices, but I've never followed the intended layout - I just use the pieces I need and sell the ones I don't. The current Hornby track is robust and of good quality but won't make particularly prototypical track layouts, however straights and larger radius curves can always be used with other pieces. Standard setrack points are too severe in radius to look authentic but can be useful in tight spaces and fiddle yards.

They do seem value for money when looked at like that, but to the serious modeller they are a poor investment, or am I wrong.

It depends on what you mean by "serious modeller". There are plenty of people who would suggest that "serious modellers" would go hand-lay track. build a kit.

EDIT.

They are RTR and as such are at the mercy of what models are available to include in the train pack.

Depending on what you need for a layout and what your modelling aims are, they can be a good source of rolling stock to strengthen formations, particularly for people whose interest is in scenery, layout building and running trains.

The current Hornby track is robust and of good quality but won't make particularly prototypical track layouts, however straights and larger radius curves can always be used with other pieces. Standard setrack points are too severe in radius to look authentic but can be useful in tight spaces and fiddle yards.

Hornby make  distinction between "train packs" and "train sets". "Train packs" don't include track or a controller, but I don't know if the OP intended that distinction.

EDIT (oops)

My mistake. The subject is "track packs". Yes they are intended for building a track mat bit by bit as pocket money permits.

Hornby Track Packs are designed solely to assist the inexperienced purchaser of a train set to make up the layout on the track mat supplied with the train set.  They provide a foolproof method of producing a small, but interesting, starter layout.  They were never intended as a money saving device for purchasing track, although the cost of the individual items is greater than the cost of a Track Pack.  So the answer to the original question is undoubtedly the same people that buy Hornby Train Sets.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Not for the serious modeller. More aimed at train set market. However they are less expensive than buying individual track components. So if you can use all parts def better value for money. People complain about value for money in locks but forget Hornby have been making a fortune on their train set track for years. Hardly labour intensive but charged at top dollar

I bought the R1039 Flying Scotsman set in about 2000, it came with Packs A and B. I then bought C,D and E. There all still sitting in the cupboard. My grandson is nearly three, so in time the layout will be started and completed using the TrackMat. It will be something for him to play with - and not get his hands on my layout.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen my local dealer sell quite a few.

They make good presents for other relatives to give 'Little Johnny' at the same time he's getting his first train set or for his next birthday.

Even non-railway-minded families seem to ask the right questions to ensure he gets them in the right order, too! 

John

Track packs can be cheaper, especially when sourced from an online auction site and can build up a track mat inspired layout fairly quickly without having to do too much quantity surveying.

Of course, after a few months playing with the layout, and comparing the visual result with those featured in magazines, the distance between track centres, and the severity of point geometry and 2nd/3rd radius curves either relegates the layout to something to amuse visiting small children (especially on layouts derived from the micelike 0-4-0 starter sets) or into the arms of Peco Streamline, a disdain for obviously circular layouts and an obsession with larger and larger radii......

(Its just selective compression, he mumbled as "Duke of Gloucester" sprinted past, towing 3 coaches.....)

Bullied boy bought the Flying Scotsman? Dear dear!

I saw an ad. in a Sunday paper - and bought it. It sat in my office at work for four years before it came home. R1039 has the tender drive loco and four cheap teaks - but it was the start of a collection of now some one hundred plus loco's - which now includes some twenty five BULLEID Pacifics. I think many of us started with FS.

I saw an ad. in a Sunday paper - and bought it. It sat in my office at work for four years before it came home. R1039 has the tender drive loco and four cheap teaks - but it was the start of a collection of now some one hundred plus loco's - which now includes some twenty five BULLEID Pacifics. I think many of us started with FS.

I started with the Triang 3F tender loco (R251), the cab of which was promptly eaten by the dog and subsequently repaired using the cab from an Airfix City of Truro. I think that loco finally came to grief as the result of too many high speed derailment tests. You got far more dramatic incidents using Triang Series 3 points than with all this modern stuff...

• RMweb Premium

I think to understand the appeal you have to try and step outside of our hobby and imagine something which you might buy, which can be very complex and which you might know little about and then see the appeal of a ready made, simple solution in a box offering a simple expansion path. For many parents or people with no knowledge of model railways the Hornby track mat and their track packs offer a very simple, relatively easy way to build what to most non people outside the hobby to be an impressive train set or layout. I know other parents who have gone down this route with their kids and I have to say they've enjoyed it. Sadly very few develop an interest in what we might call railway modelling as distinct from playing with a train set but they've enjoyed it and by buying this stuff help support Hornby which in turn helps the hobby.

I kind of put it into perspective with something I've bought. I bought a dolls house for my daughter for Christmas, I knew nothing about dolls houses and my daughter was six so went for some generic toyish dolls house. I am sure dolls house enthusiasts would tell me it is rubbish, I could have bought a better one for less, it is a toy (well, it is for a six year old..) etc etc but as far as I was aware it is what my daughter wanted, was there and it was accessible. So I can understand why some people go for these track packs.

The last only time I've brought Track Packs was about 7-8 years ago when my local Toymaster was selling the Thomas version of Track Pack A at £4 a pop, which made it good value for money for fiddle yard track. It always amused me that the RRP on the Thomas versions was less than the regular version, for exactly the same contents.

• 1 month later...

Off topic I know but, curiously enough, that made me think. I'd never really considered it before but so did I: 58 years ago, with an AC Trix 'Scotsman'. I still have it: the body is fine but the wheels are......dust.

Tony

Archived