Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

More state of the art modelling from Twickenham & District MRC's ADDISON ROAD group.

Most of us 4mm modellers, if we wanted a specific unique rolling stock item, would simply sit back until Hornby, Bachmann or some other RTR manufacturer decided to produce it. That's not an option in 7mm!

The ADDISON ROAD group identified a unique 4 coach push-pull set which they wanted for the layout and so they set about making a set of scale drawings and produced, in effect, limited edition brass kit for it - limited edition of ONE!

The group financed the whole project themselves and four members took on making a coach each - that's initiative, that's team work! A running session saw the whole train appear in the clubroom for the first time ....................

IMG_0029.JPEG.4120e805af0f167282bd1be314fe8270.JPEG

The coaches have been sent off to be professionally painted - whilst the group discuss the next unique project they would like to see running on the layout!

This layout group, and this club as a whole, welcomes new members of all skill levels - you don't need to be a master modeller, but if you want to become one then the group, and the club, will be there to help and support you.

Visit www.tdmrc.org.uk for more details of what the club can offer you.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

"Most of us 4mm modellers, if we wanted a specific unique rolling stock item, would simply sit back until Hornby, Bachmann or some other RTR manufacturer decided to produce it. That's not an option in 7mm!"

No, it is also not often an option in 4mm either. The LNWR has only two RTR locos, the Coal Tank and the forthcoming 2-4-0 Improved Precedent. The Super D is in LMS condition with Belpaire firebox. There are no accurate LNWR carriages.

So some 4mm modellers design items they want for themselves rather than just hope someone else will do it for them. That's how many of the present 4mm kit suppliers came into being and I expect the same can be said for 7mm too.

But non of that detracts from the Twickenham & District MRC's excellent model.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Twickenham & District MRC has been back in action for several months now and our 7mm group are preparing for various exhibitions in 2022 and 2023 - including Warley!

The word has got out and it's attracted a lot of interest in the layout - from these guys if no-one else, they've got their notebooks ready!

IMG_2262.JPEG.277620977eb4ad33b363dac2379bb86d.JPEG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

Have you been thinking of getting involved with our Addison Road project?

Don't let the fact that you don't live in a TW post code put you off - we have group members who live in Chicago and Germany! 

Yes, that's right, I'm not making that up! And our member in Chicago has contributed many scenic items which can be seen on the layout.

So, just to let you know that this Friday evening February 11th and Saturday morning, February 12th, the ADDISON Road group will be set up and running the layout and YOU are invited to come down and join in the action. 

There are COVID policies in place and you will be required to ware a face mask, but do please contact our club chairman if you have any questions chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com

This is a great opportunity to see the layout in action and meet the team. So, please do come along - see you there!

• Like 1

Addison Road is set in the 1920's so that we can authentically run pre-grouping and post-grouping stock - like this recent addition to the rota..................

IMG_0422.jpeg.67ee01ec2a3bb7c23173cdec7721d684.jpeg

And so, everything is always nice and authentic to our chosen period!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ignore what I just said!

Last week the supreme leader brought down his latest creation and so I guess RULE 1 applies from now on :)

871234432_IMG_2415D6508ontest.JPEG.efa3bed518b31bc77f712a91e232fada.JPEG

And it's DCC!!!

The group will be moving into the 21st century at some point in the near future!😁

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I regret that I have been rather busy lately and haven't been posting about Addison Road as often as I should. So, here is an update regarding that push-pull set which was last seen unpainted - not any more!

275930256_IMG_2893TheLMSMotorTrainProject.JPEG.ab7a0b3ae51dccf550a06c5e96f531b9.JPEG

And maybe a close-up would be good .........................

1849469817_IMG_2772TrailerCompositebyMaurice.JPEG.9dd5209939469ca32116732678501343.JPEG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 months later...

ADDISON ROAD is Twickenham & District MRC's flagship layout and it was given pride of place at our recent OPEN DAY. Here are a few photos to give you a flavour of the layout.

First train of the day .........................

1478150292_OpenDay(GAlderson).JPG.ad139af0fcdd670d3afb28bb30a2e28f.JPG

Last train of the day............................

856628956_OpenDayIMG_5617(GAlderson)Cropped.jpg.71b7ad0a9a392b6406e5ee826acc242a.jpg

A pair of before and after photos .................

1588807389_222SquadronbyChrisRobertson(PWarren).JPEG.75bc431af1d8e6630cba3a83fb487dc7.JPEG

2021314914_MN35022(PhotoRScanlon).jpg.4fccf086e9e96ddcf0dd7dff6ae82809.jpg

Last, but not least ...................

1300707098_BriansSR4-SUB(PWarren).JPEG.242533150319001ad1be9514d7fc8603.JPEG

• Like 7

• 9 months later...

Many apologies - I have been so busy in the last six months or more that I had somewhat overlooked this thread. Welcome back everyone - including me!

The layout is now 99.9% finished and the group are just tweaking some electronics to make operation slightly easier.

BREAKING NEWS - with this massive project under their belts, the group have been permission to build a new (much smaller) project.

The group will be promoting this new project at the GAUGE O GUILD event at KEMPTON PARK RACECOURSE later today - why not have a chat to them if you're going? They will be part of the display of club member Steve Waterfield's CLEARWATER On30 layout.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Many apologies - I have been so busy in the last six months or more that I had somewhat overlooked this thread. Welcome back everyone - including me!

The layout is now 99.9% finished and the group are just tweaking some electronics to make operation slightly easier.

BREAKING NEWS - with this massive project under their belts, the group have been permission to build a new (much smaller) project.

The group will be promoting this new project at the GAUGE O GUILD event at EPSOM RACECOURSE later today - why not have a chat to them if you're going? They will be part of the display of club member Steve Waterfield's CLEARWATER On30 layout.

Not Epsom but Kempton Park Racecourse.

Andrew 

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know that ADDISON ROAD will be the start attraction at Twickenham & District MRC's Open Day on July 29th (10am to 4pm).

We don't currently run an annual exhibition and our Open Day is the club's only fund-raising event in 2023 and so please come along and support us if you can. You might see things like this .........................

IMG_6197.JPEG.ce6fc6e6dfe77de75f16cb6166661e18.JPEG

Or maybe you would prefer to see something like this ...................

IMG_6616.JPEG.3d0dfe0f3970c68c3dcb074ea6d1da01.JPEG

• Like 3

On 13/07/2023 at 08:21, Simon D. said:

Looks good, but no information on parking.  Will it be available on site?

Yes, there will be parking on site and if that gets too busy we are trying to arrange extra spaces in a near-by cricket ground where our treasurer is a senior member.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Thanks 1

There has been a lot of feedback to my latest ADDISON ROAD posting and so I thought it was appropriate to point out that Twickenham & District Model Railway Club take a very open view of the '& District' part of our name - 

The ADDISON ROAD layout has attracted 'country' members in several countries 🙂

At the present time the club, thanks to the ADDISON ROAD project has members in Malta, Germany and the USA. 

And, what's more, only one of those was the result of an existing member emigrating,  our German member and our American members joined whilst living in those countries. Even I live in Watford - not exactly a foreign country, I know, but close enough! 😉

What's even more, during the construction stage, every so often a small package would arrive with a Chicago post mark on it and a scenic add-on would appear on the layout the following week. So, just to say that you don't need to live in a TW post code to be an active part of the AR team.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 5 months later...

• 1 month later...

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Kensington Addison Road at the Tolworth exhibition. Glad I took the macro lens along, such a great layout was worth the effort to get some pictures. Rare that an O Gauge layout of this size provides such a good depth of scenery, a perfect setting for models of an incredibly consistent high standard.

Hi-res photos in my album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB35oX

Stuart

KensingtonAddisonRoadSunnySouthExpress.jpg.7334c85997fd74c12bcfff58b01d019c.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadI3.jpg.b9f6de1d52d8c04765de8d7c1861b16c.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadOerlikon.jpg.07690b3dd4b08c1bfc3483176cc415ec.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadD1andTrain.jpg.43ddef920403351b68d42bc2c01d8d8a.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadD1.jpg.2e87336ffddd28b2a912b87b14853531.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadStationCanopy.jpg.66b85a0d341b6ebe377b32d255e833ea.jpg

KensingtonAddisonRoadBridge.jpg.eefcf1e8621624018a570c3b6ba901e7.jpg

• Like 5