Farish CCT

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Mine have arrived today and very nice they are too! One major complaint though--why no alternative short-NEM couplers included? How Bachmann can produce such lovely scale models without catering for the more fastidious modeller is beyond me. Their existing short Rapidos don't fit the pockets. Luckily my RM Web pal in Germany (Padishar Creel) put me in touch with a supplier there (Werner Eichhorn), who has sent me some that do the job well. One short and one original long couple the CCTs to each other and to GUVs and Mark 1 coaches with no problems.

I do generally agree with the point about the couplings, but that is a minor niggle for what is otherwise a really quite nice little vehicle. I haven't had the chance to test with Dapol knuckles yet, but that should address the coupling gap just as utilising one short and one normal rapido. I had one running all weekend at Warley with no problems at all speeds at the head of a relatively long rake through pointwork that includes slips. Oh for it to be payday so I can fill my boots with them!

IMG_51062.jpg

Their existing short Rapidos don't fit the pockets.

????? Surely that's the whole point of NEM sockets - complete interchangeability? If not, then there are two standards out there?

If true, sounds like a bit of a shambles.....

Cheers

Alan

Finally, thought I was going mad with mine... It appears the NEM pocket is a slightly different design in that it allows for couplings with slightly thicker tabs, the standard coupling itself although on first glance looks normal, it is in fact slightly different tooling with thicker tabs!  Any existing aftermarket or even bachmanns own close or long couplings just fall out of the socket.  Im not sure why they have done this, but dont let it put you off, its a great model and the issue can be resolved by gluing any different coupling into the socket.  Its worth noting that they did go to the effort of creating a NEM pocket that swivels for tight curves..

DSCN12161_zpse2ba5a90.jpg

If you put ~5 coaches behind the one on the right, and a loco on the other end does it pull the short rapido out of the socket?

No. It's from a new packet of 379-402 Short NEM couplings (x20)

I had the same issue as described with a 'Pill Box' brake van, and application of one of these new couplings solved that one, too.

The problem is that the original Farish NEM box was too fine and its couplers had tails that were thinner than those of EVERY other manufacturer.   Bachmann denied at the time that they were wrong and accused other manufacturers of making their pockets too sloppy.  However an original Farish NEM coupler pulls out of Arnold, Fleischmann, Brawa, Minitrix and Piko pockets that I have personal experience of, as well as Dapol- all out of step except our Graham......

They have now apparently listened (having consistently told me that theirs were correct to NEM spec and Dapol's too fat) and the latest coupler boxes and couplers conform to everybody else's standards.

If a coupler pulls out of an NEM socket either bin it or put it in a box exclusively for use with early Farish pockets.

All the very best

Les

PS missed getting a CCT at Warley.  I can feel a shopping trip coming on......

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would imagine the maroon CCTs had black ends when introduced, as did Mark 1 passenger coaches. BR then went over to maroon ends when preparing for the blue livery. I would think filth is the most appropriate end colour anyway!

Archived