Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Barrie 'Smasher' Swann

George Woodcock

Hello

Sadly my very good friend Barrie Swann passed away last night. Not only was he a great guy but a fine modeller as well. I and many others will miss him an awful lot. So long old friend.

Cheers

George

To add to this, Barrie lost his brave fight with cancer.

He was a larger than life character and will not be forgotten by anyone who knew him. I have known him for a long time since he introduced himself to me at a show and offered his help with my layout Tonbridge West Yard. I never looked back from then with him helping with knowledge, stock and operating the layout. Especially sad as my layout is coming out of retirement next year for a final run of shows.

He was a big part of my home exhibition Lydd Rail, helping setting up, running the BBQ and with his sons Paul & Andrew making the famous Lydd Rail videos.

He will missed. My thoughts are with Pauline, Carl, Paul and Andrew.

I will post details of his funeral once known, it should be in early January.

Thanks for the memories Smasher.

Cheers.

Details of the funeral are now coming together.

Funeral will be at the Tunbridge Wells Crematorium on Wednesday 7th January at 10.45.

Only family flowers, donations to the "Hospice in the Weald", if using cheques please with the Hospice name.

After funeral gathering still being sorted, they are trying to do something at the Spa Valley Railway, to be confirmed later.

I can offer accomodation at Lydd either the day before or after and Carl is offering a few beds at Hastings if wanted.

Please let me know if you are coming and if accomodation is required and I can keep Paul advised of numbers.

Thank you.

This is very sad news.

I used to work with Barry many years ago at a printers in St Mary Cray, funny thing was, at the time neither of us knew the other was into model railways, we only found out many years later after Barry had left, when we bumped into each other at a model railway show.

He was always kind and considerate, as an example, one dark, rainy night in 1989 when two of my ladies were driving home in an old mini they broke down at the bottom of Crockenhill Road in Farningham. They sat there not knowing what to do (no mobile phones then!) when up turned Barry, he got the car going and followed them home to make sure they got there ok. Bless him.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Martin

Rest in peace Barrie

My best memory was of Barrie when modelling a polybulk grainflow wagon from a continental wagon.

a package turned up at home one day. Barrie had sent me his wagon so I could copy his I will never forget that.

Steve

The post funeral do has now been confirmed by Paul. It will be a charter train on the Spa Valley Railway consisting of two return trips from Tunbridge Wells to Groombridge. Haulage requested is Chris Barrow's 37254, if not it will be a Crompton. Finger buffet will be available on the train.
The family welcome any guests to the funeral joining them on one or more of these trips.
Paul is checking on parking options, the superstores are not for Railway visitors but there are pay & display car parks at Union House, Linden Close and Major York's Road. Best option will be confirmed.
The train can depart after 12.00hrs to our convienance, so no one will miss the train.
I hope most can attend.
Cheers.

Archived