Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal

I am following the introduction of your timetable with great interest. I have been threatening to do the same on Granby for ages. With RR&Co I have the advantage (?) of a fast clock and automated timetable.......its a questionable advantage because at times I feel like the little dog on a treadmill being pursued by a hot cinder. Once started the RR&Co timetable waits for no man........fortunately I have a freeze button close at hand.

I get the impression that you are not using a fast clock but run the various scheduled trains in the sequence set out in your WTT. Is this correct? I can see the advantages, particularly in the early stages when you are proving the reliability of locos and testing the route setting. I think I should start with something like that.

Hope you got your faulty decoders sorted......where you able to identify the issue?

Best wishes

John 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

I am following the introduction of your timetable with great interest. I have been threatening to do the same on Granby for ages. With RR&Co I have the advantage (?) of a fast clock and automated timetable.......its a questionable advantage because at times I feel like the little dog on a treadmill being pursued by a hot cinder. Once started the RR&Co timetable waits for no man........fortunately I have a freeze button close at hand.

I get the impression that you are not using a fast clock but run the various scheduled trains in the sequence set out in your WTT. Is this correct? I can see the advantages, particularly in the early stages when you are proving the reliability of locos and testing the route setting. I think I should start with something like that.

Hope you got your faulty decoders sorted......where you able to identify the issue?

Best wishes

John 

Morning John,

The WTT efforts started out as a means of testing everything on the layout, including whether I needed a fast clock. I have no automation, so in theory am still in control.

At this stage I have decided against a clock and will continue on a sequence based system.

Its been an interesting exercise, as I am using locos and stock that come out rarely. Plus I am using more of a variety of stock, but with the emphasis on 57xx which ran all the local services.

Friday afternoon I found what the issues were on my Oxford Dean Goods.... I am going to re-wire it from the loco/tender connector through to the decoder socket. Everything has to be replaced as the soldering was a bit suspect and blew part of the decoder plug circuit.

Last night I ordered replacement parts from DCC concepts.

Ive enjoyed working the sequence WTT and will continue with it next week - I’ve got locos and stock everywhere! 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A quick wheel cleaning session at Henley on Thames and the locos are ready to resume services.

The next arrival is the 2/11 auto train from Twyford, before the 2/39 departure.

A2AECE8C-CDD3-4DA5-AA64-79FFCC9D3A99.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Having run through all of the timetable - bar about half a dozen later trains....

I need to add an afternoon freight (in reality there was only an early morning freight); add a parcels or PLA working; to include a diesel railcar parcels working; plus extra Regatta services.

In reality freight traffic was suspended during the Regatta week, with all sidings emptied... My timetable will incorporate both traffic.

Lots more planning to do.....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve now got a few days DIY again and will return to the railway shortly.

At the same time I need to change all the later logo engines, these will either become shurtbutton, or 1920s Great Western liveried.

Tbc...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal

Once again I enjoyed your progress with the timetable.  In fact inspired by you I have started a spread sheet to supplement the RR&Co timetable which is a bit rigid ....no space for notes or comments...... you just enter the schedule and the time it will start.......and no space for all the supporting schedules involved in loco exchanges etc which follow automatically.

A few questions

How does your WTT handle subsidiary movements? A train enters Henley from Paddington...no problem.... but what about the movement of carriages and loco(s) prior to the return or next journey? 

Is everything based on arrival and departure times from Henley?  Obviously the computor timetable has to be based on departure time which is fine for departures from Granby but not so good when the 8.10 am from Paddingtom arrives at Granby 2 minutes having traveled 20' max from the storage. I am beginning to think I will have to use the RR&Co timetable just as a starting tool and then run in parallell a spreadsheet with fictional but realistic times of departure from the storage yards.

That sounds like a daunting task re liverying your post 1934 locos. I have found the brief and careful application of brake fluid the most effective way of removing the old decals

Good luck with the DIY

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

Once again I enjoyed your progress with the timetable.  In fact inspired by you I have started a spread sheet to supplement the RR&Co timetable which is a bit rigid ....no space for notes or comments...... you just enter the schedule and the time it will start.......and no space for all the supporting schedules involved in loco exchanges etc which follow automatically.

A few questions

How does your WTT handle subsidiary movements? A train enters Henley from Paddington...no problem.... but what about the movement of carriages and loco(s) prior to the return or next journey? 

Is everything based on arrival and departure times from Henley?  Obviously the computor timetable has to be based on departure time which is fine for departures from Granby but not so good when the 8.10 am from Paddingtom arrives at Granby 2 minutes having traveled 20' max from the storage. I am beginning to think I will have to use the RR&Co timetable just as a starting tool and then run in parallell a spreadsheet with fictional but realistic times of departure from the storage yards.

That sounds like a daunting task re liverying your post 1934 locos. I have found the brief and careful application of brake fluid the most effective way of removing the old decals

Good luck with the DIY

John

Morning John, thanks for your comments.

I'm sat here in Spain waiting for the sun to come up so I can start the DIY project.... I'm laying a laminate floor into our roof-top conservatory. The sun is just starting to come over the horizon!

Re: Backdating the locos. It's a project I started a while ago, along with re-numbering and I need to continue with the project. In removing Bachmann decals, I found that carefully using the fibreglass pen also worked. At the sometime, I could do with removing some more of the top feeds on the Panniers....

Although I am convinced every time I do that means that Bachmann is just that little nit closer to announcing a new 57xx 

Re: The Timetable.

I already had instructions "Shunt stock into Mill Lane sidings" but that was not time specific and it needs to be. Maybe working on the basis that the carriages can stand in Platform 2 for (say) 20 minutes before being moved.

I also need to build in things like locos coming off the shed etc.

When the branch trains arrived into Platform 1, they simply ran round the train and were ready to depart. (Clearly they picked up water elsewhere!)

Now the task is to re-write the timetable; add in the additional services I need and add the operational instructions as well

I also need to look at the loco utilisation. After all, when a loco arrived at Paddington, it would go back to OOC for servicing... You might see it later in the day, but it would be a lot later. Which is tricky - you should see the loco storage yard above the fiddle yard - its packed full. The yard below is also full.

As they say Tbc 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The other side of the timetable trial has been to really test the layout and it is obvious now where the issues are.

1. Why is it that some crossover points work fine and then for no reason, one doesn't always fire when required. Try again and it's ok.

2. One cross-over point needs it's throw adjusting.

3. I need to continue wiring in the auto frogs as not every point have them fitted.

4. The turntable needs to work properly.

5. I need to add into the schedule, trains going into certain lines in the fiddle yard. I had a few instances where trains were blocked in.

Overall I was very pleased with the way the layout and stick operated.

The fast clock was set to operate 24 hours in a 12 hour period, which was fairly comfortable, although the evening rush, had several late running trains!

Oh and point 6 could be: I need an extra storage road at Mill Lane. Operationally if I get excursion traffic in for the Regatta they need to be stored somewhere..... Reading I guess!

As ever there is lots more to do.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I also need to look at the loco utilisation. After all, when a loco arrived at Paddington, it would go back to OOC for servicing... You might see it later in the day, but it would be a lot later. Which is tricky - you should see the loco storage yard above the fiddle yard - its packed full. The yard below is also full.

As they say Tbc 

Not all locos went back to OOC, some went to Ranelagh Bridge to be turned and serviced and may have been back out again within an hour of arrival.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Not all locos went back to OOC, some went to Ranelagh Bridge to be turned and serviced and may have been back out again within an hour of arrival.

Yes of course. But what would the criteria be? 

Local services / locos turned and out again perhaps with the longer distance ones needing a full service.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes of course. But what would the criteria be? 

Local services / locos turned and out again perhaps with the longer distance ones needing a full service.

Hi Neal,

Like most things on the real railway, it was not that simple!

What I suggest you need to sort things out is the relevant Paddington Station Workings Book and also the OOC and Reading Locomotive Working Books.

I have these, except the Reading Loco Book, but only for 1962! 

When I get a min, I'll look up the details of the morning and evening Henley trains and post here what I find.

It will give you an idea of how things were organised.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

What I suggest you need to sort things out is the relevant Paddington Station Workings Book and also the OOC and Reading Locomotive Working Books.

When I get a min, I'll look up the details of the morning and evening Henley trains and post here what I find.

Best regards

Paul

Sounds great thanks Paul.

Where did you get the details from? has it been published.... have I missed something.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

Best regards

Paul

Paul, where have you found loco working books? I've never seen one for Cornwall.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I bought a bundle of Locomotive Working books from the internet (not Bay!) a couple of years back.

I say "books", but in reality they are bundles of duplicated typed sheets!

If I can find the source, I'll post the details here, because I seem to remember there were a number of different lots.

Unfortunately I think they were all 1950s/60s, or even more modern!

Best regards

Paul 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

I bought a bundle of Locomotive Working books from the internet (not Bay!) a couple of years back.

I say "books", but in reality they are bundles of duplicated typed sheets!

If I can find the source, I'll post the details here, because I seem to remember there were a number of different lots.

Unfortunately I think they were all 1950s/60s, or even more modern!

Best regards

Paul 

That sounds very interesting @Tallpaul69I thought such records had been destroyed ages ago. Certainly I seem to recall reading somewhere that they hadn’t made it to the NRM.

If you can find the source, I bet quite a few on here would be very interested.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 16/10/2020 at 13:45, Neal Ball said:

That sounds very interesting @Tallpaul69I thought such records had been destroyed ages ago. Certainly I seem to recall reading somewhere that they hadn’t made it to the NRM.

If you can find the source, I bet quite a few on here would be very interested.

Hi Neal and everyone reading this:-

The bad news is that I have not yet found the source for the Locomotive diagram books sheets!

But so far I have only done a quick trawl through my saved web sites under the headings "Timetables" and the like, so a more thorough search may come up with something.

The good news is that I have started on my promised investigations of the Henley trains in my 1961 and 62 Paddington Station Workings etc.

In 1961 and 62 there were two sets that ran as the morning and evening through trains to/from Paddington for Henley.

Set 1 (composition from Henley:- Engine, BCK, 2xFK, 6xSK (non corridor), CK, BCK .)

This left Henley at 0748, reached Paddington Plat 11 at 0846, then the coaches were removed to West London Sidings.

They left West London Sidings at 16.20 to Paddington Plat 6 and left for Henley at 1713 (1720 in 1962)

Set 2  (composition from Henley:- Engine, BSK, 2xSK, CK, FK, CK, 2xSK, BSK.)

This left Henley at 0838, reaching Paddington Plat 11 at 0941,  

then the coaches were removed to West London Sidings.

They left West London Sidings at 17.20 to Paddington Plat 3 and left for Henley at 1815

Set 2 had interesting Saturdays in summer 1961:-It left Henley at 0740 for Paddington. It then formed the 1015 for Kingswear and the 1635 back. It finished its day as the 2140 Paddington to Henley!

One hopes that set 1 with its six non corridor seconds, never got substituted for set 2 on this duty!

I have yet to investigate the locomotive side of things, and because of the amount of detail to go through, may well take me longer!  

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, that sounds great thank you.

To our modern eyes / different times, it seems such a waste having those rakes sat in the sidings all day.

There were other through workings to Paddington, some fast and others all stations to a certain point (Slough I think) and then fast to Paddington.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Paul, that sounds great thank you.

To our modern eyes / different times, it seems such a waste having those rakes sat in the sidings all day.

There were other through workings to Paddington, some fast and others all stations to a certain point (Slough I think) and then fast to Paddington.

Hi Neal and others,

I have made a start on finding the loco workings for the Henly-Paddington trains

The first one reads as follows:-

Commencing 15th September 1958

Depot - Old Oak Common (81A)

Turn 44

Hall class (Alternates with Worcester turn 10)

Shed                                     4/25   LE   MWF

Padd                    4/50         5/15    P

Henley                 6/12         6/30   LE

Reading               6/53         7/45   LE

Scour's Lane       8/00         8/15   Frt

Worcester           1.55           2.00  LE   T.Th.S

Shed                     2.10

Shed                                    12/20   LE   T.Th.S

Worc. - S.H.       12/30        12/45   P

(12/45 Worcester - Wolverhampton)

Stourbridge Jcn. 1/37         1/45   LE

Shed                     1/50         4/20   LE

Stourbridge Jcn.  4/30         4/45    P

Worc - S.H.           5/41         5/45  LE  S

Shed                     5/55

Shed                                      9/30   LE   T.Th.O

Worc.          .          9/45       10/00   Frt

Padd.                     3.35         4.5      LE  W.F.O

Shed                       4.45

Return as ordered Worc. to OOC   -    SO

I hope the above makes sense - I have used abbreviations of names whereas the original states them in full!

This data shows that you can legitimately run a nice shiny Worcester Hall to Henley some evenings! (contrasting even in the 30s with the less bull on the OOC and Reading locos.)

So far, I have not located details for the other 3 workings. However, this tells us that they  were not OOC workings, and by eliminating the other OOC workings from my Paddington train workings list, I should get an idea of which workings the locos from Henley in the morning  went on to perform and similarly which workings into Paddington provided the loco for the later Henley evening working. Further data will be provided by the engineman workings part of the same document which contains information on crews who spent their day shuffling locos at Ranelagh Yard (poor souls!), and which train's locos they shuffled!

Generally, from these loco workings, it seems engines with less than 2 hours turn round went there, locos with a longer break went to OOC. 

I hope the above is useful, I think I may have also have some info on the crew who prepared the engine for the 6.15 at OOC (but not necessarily an OOC loco!). I'll post this when I have looked into it further.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal and others,

I have made a start on finding the loco workings for the Henly-Paddington trains

The first one reads as follows:-

Commencing 15th September 1958

Depot - Old Oak Common (81A)

Turn 44

Hall class (Alternates with Worcester turn 10)

Shed                                     4/25   LE   MWF

Padd                    4/50         5/15    P

Henley                 6/12         6/30   LE

Reading               6/53         7/45   LE

Scour's Lane       8/00         8/15   Frt

Worcester           1.55           2.00  LE   T.Th.S

Shed                     2.10

Shed                                    12/20   LE   T.Th.S

Worc. - S.H.       12/30        12/45   P

(12/45 Worcester - Wolverhampton)

Stourbridge Jcn. 1/37         1/45   LE

Shed                     1/50         4/20   LE

Stourbridge Jcn.  4/30         4/45    P

Worc - S.H.           5/41         5/45  LE  S

Shed                     5/55

Shed                                      9/30   LE   T.Th.O

Worc.          .          9/45       10/00   Frt

Padd.                     3.35         4.5      LE  W.F.O

Shed                       4.45

Return as ordered Worc. to OOC   -    SO

I hope the above makes sense - I have used abbreviations of names whereas the original states them in full!

This data shows that you can legitimately run a nice shiny Worcester Hall to Henley some evenings! (contrasting even in the 30s with the less bull on the OOC and Reading locos.)

So far, I have not located details for the other 3 workings. However, this tells us that they  were not OOC workings, and by eliminating the other OOC workings from my Paddington train workings list, I should get an idea of which workings the locos from Henley in the morning  went on to perform and similarly which workings into Paddington provided the loco for the later Henley evening working. Further data will be provided by the engineman workings part of the same document which contains information on crews who spent their day shuffling locos at Ranelagh Yard (poor souls!), and which train's locos they shuffled!

Generally, from these loco workings, it seems engines with less than 2 hours turn round went there, locos with a longer break went to OOC. 

I hope the above is useful, I think I may have also have some info on the crew who prepared the engine for the 6.15 at OOC (but not necessarily an OOC loco!). I'll post this when I have looked into it further.

Best regards

Paul

Thanks Paul that’s great. 

The reason the loco went light to Reading was due to the turntable atvHenley allegedly being broken by this time.

Fascinating insight to the operation of the railway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

A fine example of what a complicated jigsaw the whole locomotive workings system must have been.

It almost looks too complicated, life back then was very different!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

It almost looks too complicated, life back then was very different!

Here are some more of the complications of running the 5.15pm Paddington to Henley:-

Here is what the crew(s) were scheduled for:-

Turn 335

Prepare locos at OOC including the OOC/Worcester engines (alternate days) for the 5/15. (engine turn 44)

OOC Turn 295

Shed                                              4/25  LE      (M-F)

Padd                   4/50                  5/15   P

Henley                6/12                  6/30  LE

Reading              6/53

Relieved by Reading turn 613 in station at 7/06 (who took engine on to Worcester)

Relieve Bristol turn 221 at 7/40 on 4/10weymouth -Padd

Reading                                         7/45   P      (M-F)   Engine was on Westbury Duty 10

Padd                    8/30                   8/45  LE

Ran Bridge          9/00                10/30   LE

Padd                   10/45

Relieved by OOC turn 279 at 10/45

Relieve 10/50 arrl Take engine and take to shed

Off duty 12.10 T-S (8H 0M on duty)

The crew on the 6/15 Paddington to Henley (Engine Duty ??) had a similar duty:-

OOC Turn 294

PREPARE ENGINE

Shed                                             5/40  LE      (M-F)  (Reading duty 15)

Padd                   5/55                  6/15   P

Henley                7/16                  7/40  LE

Reading  Shed    8/10

PREPARE FRESH ENGINE

Reading Shed                                9/30  LE     (M-F)  (Oxford Duty 7)

Reading               9/40                10/12   P 

Padd   (ML)        11/42                12/00  LE

OOC Shed          12.25               

Padd                                               8/20  Tvl     (SO)

Reading                 9/21                 

Relieve Reading turn 129 men on10.50 Salop Parcels

Reading                                         9/40   Pcls  (SO)

Padd                    12.12               12.27   LE

OOC Shed           12.52

Off Duty 12.40 T-S     8H. 0M on duty

1.07  SUN  5H 47M on duty 

So these guys on the same grade as duty 295 had to prepare two engines in a shift, whereas the guys on duty 295 had their engines prepared for them!

I hope you all find the above useful?

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Here are some more of the complications of running the 5.15pm Paddington to Henley:-

Turn 335

Prepare locos at OOC including the OOC/Worcester engines (alternate days) for the 5/15. (engine turn 44)

OOC Turn 295

Relieved by Reading turn 613 in station at 7/06 (who took engine on to Worcester)

Reading                                         7/45   P      (M-F)   Engine was on Westbury Duty 10

OOC Turn 294

PREPARE ENGINE

Shed                                             5/40  LE      (M-F)  (Reading duty 15)

Reading  Shed    8/10

PREPARE FRESH ENGINE

OOC Shed          12.25               

OOC Shed           12.52

So these guys on the same grade as duty 295 had to prepare two engines in a shift, whereas the guys on duty 295 had their engines prepared for them!

Best regards

Paul

Good stuff Paul, thanks. Anything from (much) further West?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Turn 335

OOC Turn 295

OOC Turn 294

PREPARE ENGINE

Reading  Shed    8/10

PREPARE FRESH ENGINE

OOC Shed          12.25               

OOC Shed           12.52

Best regards

Paul

Truly fascinating Paul thank you. 

Can I be cheeky and ask you post post a photo of one of the pages.... in our modern world of units, it’s fascinating to see these turns being listed. 

Plus as you say, one crew have their loco prepared for them and another has to do it themselves. I doubt they would have thought anything of it though.

Thanks for the details.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1