Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
On 08/09/2020 at 23:35, Clicknick said:

Hi Neal, this is a fantastic project.  I was born and brought up in Henley in the 1960s and remember the old station well.  There used to be a pathway running along the edge of the station, along the metal fence between the toilet block for the promenade, and past the signal box.  On summers evenings the schoolboys would gather and chat to the signalmen.  it was also where we were taken to see the Queen and wave at her train when she visited in the early 1960q.  I also remember Norman, who, at that time was the new apprentice, and now recently retired after a working life mostly on the branch line.

I don't know if it has been covered previously, but I thought that the track at the far end of the station building originally ran through the building to the turntable that was originally in front of the main building, where the grass half circle is now.  This is what station road originally went around the other side of the grass. 

Brilliant layout.  thank you for posting all the picots of your labours.   regards.

Thanks very much for the comments, sounds great to be able to wander down beside the line - different times eh!

You are correct about the original layout; indeed the grass covered "Park area" on station road, has representations of the turntable roads laid into the ground.

The tracks were removed during the 1904 changes; whereupon Platform 1 and the refuge line terminated at the blocks. The turntable moving to the loco shed area. At the same time the station booking hall was moved from the side to the front of the station.

Thanks again for the comments.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all - Sunny greetings from the Costa Blanca, during the "new normal"

A tale of two Prairies:

Ages ago now, I said I would do a chapter and verse about my two R3721 Hornby's new Prairies. To be honest, time has marched on, pretty much has been said elsewhere, so instead, I present my two Prairies. 

Fitting the decoder; speaker' supercap Stay alive) proved to be tricky.... I scooped out the interior of the coal bunker; cut out the floor of the cab; broke several bits and finally managed to get it all back together. (One screw will still not go back!).

Real coal has been added, fixed onto the plastic coal section by PVA; etched numberplate have been fitted from Fox. (6109 and 6132 are both Reading engines in the mid 30's)

I still need to add crew (on order from Modelu) and I wanted to add working LED front lamps.... maybe firebox flicker as well..... Hopefully with the floor cut outs adding the crew will be straight forward. But Ive got no idea how I will get the wiring for the LED into the loco. I would also like to do some selective weathering, but don't want to spoil the impeccable looks. (I am always very reluctant to weather locos.... I'm sure I could do the body ok; but I don't know hoe to get behind the spokes without over-doing it!)

Oh yes! I would also like to get some weight in there. With the chimney being hollow, I can get some lead down there, but then will need to balance it with weight at the other end... maybe on the cab floor.

None of this would put me off getting another one; this time in GWR shirtbutton. 

Anyway for the time being, here are a few photos:

6109 seen at the front of Platform 2 ready to take a train to Twyford and then to Paddington.

2057172696_6109-HenleyonThamesr.jpg.d11b56832a7f0a44073b408380ff65dc.jpg

6109 seen arriving with 6132 at Platform 1 ready to depart

257113596_PrairiesatHenley2r.jpg.746840b9b7aea04d99a14337254d3adb.jpg

534283056_PrairiesatHenleyaR.jpg.26e7fe9cc3ac66391505ea4dad7d6f70.jpg

Seeing the stock like this makes me appreciate the grey/black roofs, rather than the white that they came in.

Having finally got both locos working; I spent a very happy afternoon running trains round the layout; which included 7233 on a 20 wagon coal train... as well as my class 52 and track cleaner.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Did I get it right?

As well as the new sounds from You Choos (John has been very patient with me!), I have also bought a Sprog3 and have found programming to be a doddle with this new gizmo. It makes changing CV values so easy.

It's taken a while to get to this stage (life has taken over!); there seems to be so much going on at the moment. The builders are here again, this time, relaying the tiles on the drive. The old ones were fine, but a bit dated.)

Therefore in my euphoria to get to this stage, I might not have the chuffs quite right, but hopefully I have!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, KNP said:

Loved the videos, nice looking loco's.

Layouts coming on a treat as well.

Thanks Kevin. 

After a lot of progress during lockdown, things seemed to have slowed of late... hopefully I can make up for some lost time!

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Did I get it right?

As well as the new sounds from You Choos (John has been very patient with me!), I have also bought a Sprog3 and have found programming to be a doddle with this new gizmo. It makes changing CV values so easy.

It's taken a while to get to this stage (life has taken over!); there seems to be so much going on at the moment. The builders are here again, this time, relaying the tiles on the drive. The old ones were fine, but a bit dated.)

Therefore in my euphoria to get to this stage, I might not have the chuffs quite right, but hopefully I have!

Sounds a lot more realistic than most of the steam sounds I have heard before.

I presume they will only work trains smokebox first?

Edited by Nick Gough
Added question
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Sounds a lot more realistic than most of the steam sounds I have heard before.

I presume they will only work trains smokebox first?

Yes I agree the sounds are very good, I'm very pleased with them.

My next job is to finish the turntable.

You are correct @Nick Gough that trains at Henley will only work smokebox first.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Turntable update:

Having decided to dispense with the overly complicated turntable system from MERG, I opted for the simpler model from Peco. PL55: https://peco-uk.com/blogs/news/turntable-motor-available-now 

I've had it for a while, but started in it's installation this morning.

The instructions tell you to glue the spindle underneath the turntable bridge, which would mean you can't remove the deck. I don't know why I might want to later, but just in case, rather than glueing it, I have drilled a hole through and fashioned up a scarp piece of rail to keep it all together.

I needed some weight! Which was fortuitous as the Night Owl 4704 2-8-0 just happened to arrive at Henley!

1792250422_2-8-04704TurntableR.jpg.899b8aee5c97afe4fbc58f2dd1248c80.jpg

This is probably my heaviest loco and is still on the table as everything dried overnight. There are spigots that are glued to the underside of the turntable well and these hold the motor into place. 

Clearly it would have been easier to do, before the turntable was installed....

Tomorrow, I need to extend the operation cable and the 12v supply to reach to the back of the station.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Today has been all about the turntable!

It was only going to be a 5 minute fix and off you go - well if you believe the blurb that comes with the Peco motor, it would be! (Peco motor and control gear ref: PLK-55)

Sadly life isn't like that.... so an hour or so later and I had done more filing; sanding and general fettling.... it still didn't go round!

It was then a case of stripping it all down; including the turntable bridge, which was soon back on the bench.

NOTE: The instructions tell you to glue the bridge to the collar that fits onto the motor - DON'T! 

My turntable went round, when I tried it with my hands, but the reality is that, turning it round by hand is very different from a small motor.

It still isn't quite right, but its better than it was.

My plan was to extend the control cables, so I can use it by standing in front of the goods yard (1.5m away). But in testing the motor etc. I was standing behind the backscene, as the last minute adjustments are not that easy to do. Plus of course, the minute adjustments might not be so easy to do when I am standing by the goods yard.... maybe I need to fix a CCTV camera into the roof to get the right alignment!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Here is the video - still a bit jerky!

Despite taking the tripod downstairs, the majority was hand-held - its a bit of a squeeze behind the back-scene, where the outer track also goes round... I'm pleased with the result... although it shows, I need to do more on the turntable and also increase the level of lighting for the DSLR.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

If you want a totally reliable self indexing TT then you could splurge lots of euros and buy a Fleischmann.......they are expensive but I certainly got my moneys worth ....they are a joy to operate.

Meant  to write earlier.....thought your videos were brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed them. Glad you got the prairies sorted....once the kinks are ironed out they are very impressive models. You have almost converted me to sound!

Best wishes 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john dew said:

If you want a totally reliable self indexing TT then you could splurge lots of euros and buy a Fleischmann.......they are expensive but I certainly got my moneys worth ....they are a joy to operate.

Meant  to write earlier.....thought your videos were brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed them. Glad you got the prairies sorted....once the kinks are ironed out they are very impressive models. You have almost converted me to sound!

Best wishes 

John

haha thanks John.

I don’t like taking photos of the back scene area..... but!

I had 2 x Prairie running and my Olivias sounds Hall. All three locos and the sound was terrific!

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, john dew said:

If you want a totally reliable self indexing TT then you could splurge lots of euros and buy a Fleischmann.......

Best wishes 

John

I also looked at the Heljan turntable, which Rails are selling for £195 although I see other retinas either say out of stock or discontinued.... The Fleishmann at Rails (out of stock) is £435 - wow!

Does anyone have experience of using the Heljan unit?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had an afternoon of running trains yesterday and took a few photos:

64xx was sent from Reading to shunt stock ready for departure to Paddington:

92146059_64060-6-0PTarrivalR.jpg.ed1d746fedd5cd547d4f5a8c39624499.jpg

6406_0-6-0PT_Platform_1_bw.jpg.18a632f60ae66fb91939955f6bce7c53.jpg

4965 Rood Ashton Hall made a noisy entrance to the station and was turned on the turntable:

1008805834_49654-6-0TurntableR.jpg.8fa171d34c7515966888251dc5e6f14f.jpg

Whereupon it took its place at the head of Platform 1 ready to leave for Paddington:

1896747344_49654-6-0Platform1r.jpg.55e41d1bbcedca7171e9f2f79d0e7b83.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

With 3 x DCC sound locos running yesterday, it was very tempting to get out a couple of the sound Castles class locos, but by that stage time was getting on and I decided against.

I now have sound locos fitted with the following sound files:

2 x Castle and 1 x King class locos: Howes sound; esu decoders.

1 x Hall loco: Olivias sound - fitted by Hattons, not sure what the base decoder is. (Its not been added into the Sprog3 roster yet)

1 x Castle with Hornby TTS sound.

2 x 61xx Zimo decoder and Youchoos sound.

On the diesel front (not 1930's GWR, so they rarely get a mention here!)

Class 52 Western locos: 1 x Howes sound; 1 x Youchoos sound

Class 50: Hornby TTS sound

Class 43 HST set: Hornby TTS sound

I decided against having sound in the smaller locos, but with the 64xx running around yesterday, it would be very tempting to add it.... although how I would squeeze it in I don't know!

I am trying to hold off buying a class 121 DMU... but it would be easy to justify adding sound to one of the GWR streamlined railcars... although I have 3, plus there is the Heljan one due out in a few months(?) it could prove very expensive!

The Dapol 43xx on order will be sound fitted by Dapol. I think the delivery of these have slipped back to October or so..... Fine by me, it does look like a nice loco.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I also looked at the Heljan turntable, which Rails are selling for £195 although I see other retinas either say out of stock or discontinued.... The Fleishmann at Rails (out of stock) is £435 - wow!

Does anyone have experience of using the Heljan unit?

I am a big fan of turntables they add a huge amount of operating interest but accurate automatic indexing is very desirable

The Fleischmann is more expensive than the Heljan but you should be able to get one for less than £435 from one of the German box shifters. I found one by google search in Hong Kond for a lot less but that was 4 years ago.

i bought it to replace a Heljan!  When the Heljan worked it was brilliant.....much quieter and smoother than the Fleischmann with a rather nice slow down before matching the exit track....accurate indexing

When it was bad it was horrid.......from time to time it would lose its memory (this has been reported elsewhere). This may be less of a problem for you because I had 10 exit tracks. 

My principal problem was that it wasnt fully supported by RR &Co.....I had some pretty spectaculars screwups before I gave up and got the Fleischmann ......Not an issue for you though

Ending on a positive note it is DCC ready so you can control It from either your throttle or the supplied control box. Later models have what appears to be a better designed control box....something to watch out for if you start looking

I can send  links to Youtube to videos I made of both Turntables if you wish

Best wishes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ref: the turntable......

Some years back I purchased a Peco standard turntable kit and modified it to suit my layout. I'd originally looked at the RTR as mentioned above and couldn't warrant spending the sums involved and after researching I opted for the Locomotech package.

It seems to have come on somewhat with indexing on the website now ( mine was excellent then ) and the motor + switch arrangement worked without fault before dismantling the layout. The smaller cost ( about £90 with the Locomotech unit and my own Peco TT ) compared to the RTR ones plus enjoyment of assembly, which was extremely easy, would make me use the product again. The owner was very helpful with some questions that I called about and responded within a couple of hours.

I decided to be clever and wire the motor up to a standard decoder and operate from my ECoS which was also successful, although I had to "eye up " the roads using that method....it made for fun ! 

Obviously there are clever electronic guys out there who can produce programmes etc for indexing in DCC but frankly I found the original indexing plate below the TT as supplied to be more than adequate, so it may be worth looking before a final decision ?

Usual disclaimers other than an extremely satisfied customer.

I did do a video of it afterwards but I removed it when tidying up my YouTube stuff so unfortunately I can't post it now.

G  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @john dew and @bgman food for thought.

Given the current arrangement is my 2nd attempt at trying to get the turntable to work, I’m inclined to go for an off the shelf product.

In doing that, I’m aware it’s probably going to involve cutting a different hole in the board and the resultant mess etc.

Or do I wait...... in the hope that Hornby or Bachmann announce one very soon!

• Friendly/supportive 4

18 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

With 3 x DCC sound locos running yesterday, it was very tempting to get out a couple of the sound Castles class locos, but by that stage time was getting on and I decided against.

I now have sound locos fitted with the following sound files:

2 x Castle and 1 x King class locos: Howes sound; esu decoders.

1 x Hall loco: Olivias sound - fitted by Hattons, not sure what the base decoder is. (Its not been added into the Sprog3 roster yet)

1 x Castle with Hornby TTS sound.

2 x 61xx Zimo decoder and Youchoos sound.

On the diesel front (not 1930's GWR, so they rarely get a mention here!)

Class 52 Western locos: 1 x Howes sound; 1 x Youchoos sound

Class 50: Hornby TTS sound

Class 43 HST set: Hornby TTS sound

I decided against having sound in the smaller locos, but with the 64xx running around yesterday, it would be very tempting to add it.... although how I would squeeze it in I don't know!

I am trying to hold off buying a class 121 DMU... but it would be easy to justify adding sound to one of the GWR streamlined railcars... although I have 3, plus there is the Heljan one due out in a few months(?) it could prove very expensive!

The Dapol 43xx on order will be sound fitted by Dapol. I think the delivery of these have slipped back to October or so..... Fine by me, it does look like a nice loco.

Neal,

I'm interested how you find the Hornby TTS Castle when compared to all the other sound projects. I swapped out my Hall TTS to a Youchoos recently. Talking of which, the Youchoos 64xx (/94xx) installation with a small Zimo is easy and given the small size of the loco is very effective. As ever there's a helpful installation guide on their site. (no links, just happy user)

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Neal,

I'm interested how you find the Hornby TTS Castle when compared to all the other sound projects. I swapped out my Hall TTS to a Youchoos recently. Talking of which, the Youchoos 64xx (/94xx) installation with a small Zimo is easy and given the small size of the loco is very effective. As ever there's a helpful installation guide on their site. (no links, just happy user)

Colin

Thanks Colin,

The TTS sound for the Castle is ok.... it’s a cheap effective way of getting sound at a price.

I will do a comparison video and you can see the difference.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Colin,

The TTS sound for the Castle is ok.... it’s a cheap effective way of getting sound at a price.

I will do a comparison video and you can see the difference.

Thx but no need Neal, I've both myself so was more interested in your thoughts.

The reason I changed to the Zimo was the poor control of chuff rate available on TTS (i.e. none), it is what it is. Probably acceptable if you don't intend to cover a wide range of operating speeds but once you have seamless chuff rates matching to changes in loco speed that IMO stands out.

Colin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Thx but no need Neal, I've both myself so was more interested in your thoughts.

The reason I changed to the Zimo was the poor control of chuff rate available on TTS (i.e. none), it is what it is. Probably acceptable if you don't intend to cover a wide range of operating speeds but once you have seamless chuff rates matching to changes in loco speed that IMO stands out.

Colin

Yes agree. 

Although in fairness for the price they aren’t too bad. 

I am getting the Sprog3 controller out today, with the aim of looking at all my chuff rates! I won’t worry about the video then!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1