Highgate, Park Junction and the Ally Pally branch

EHertsGER

Oh, dear. I just had to start this. I have enjoyed and indeed been impressed to no end by the Bromley North project and its subsequent re-birth as the Highgate Woods Sidings project elsewhere on this site. So much so that it has catalysed a number of thoughts in my mind based on some scribbles on the back of an envelope focusing on possible layout projects revolving around Highgate.

The background is that I lived for a while in Highgate - Shepherds Hill - so Highgate tube was my regular route to work for years. During that time my eyes wandered over the fence wondering what the remains of Highgate High Level was all about, then listening intently for the reconstruction of the depot on the other side of the tunnel. Add to that walks through the woods, loomed over by the remains of the Park Junction 'box and the wheels started turning - albeit very slowly.

So my aim here is to prompt thoughts about getting it all onto plywood in a workable form - in N gauge probably as the size of the project would make the 4mm/7mm scale versions the topic of club projects or the complete take-over of someone's garage/basement/attic. I am the sort who likes to be able to move things around, so my mind and the dimensions are, for the time being, N gauge.

Initial thoughts focus on four baseboards, two deep, two wide with a loop at each end that wil allow modular working. I'll share a drawing or two soon, as I am still re-scribbling, but for now, lets look at what might be the prototype raison d'etre for it all...

War certainly broke out, but the Northern Heights project was undertaken. Yes, LPTB did build lines onto existing tracks to Ally Pally and kept on running up to modern times. Realizing the advantage of dual voltage stock from the mid-80s trains for the Northern Line ran in and out of Moorgate (no crash in '76) but so too did 313/314s that ranged further afield.

Freight continued through the intermediate years as yards at Woodside Park and so on vanished or became revenue sources from light industry built on previous yards.

Now, the only missing bit is the excuse to run 'proper' trains...

Well, the exhibition at Ally Pally (not that one) saw some preserved locomotives displayed there - that would have run up from Finsbury Park. Somehow trains out of Kings Cross could be diverted through the Finchleys and back onto main lines in the event of signal failures/engineering works and so on...

So our combined Highgate/Park Junction endeavour could feature LT Tube stock, dual voltage EMUs, freight of all kinds (don't forget, the lowly Portishead Branch is home now to 66s hauling cars from Royal Portbury Docks) as well as the earlier DMUs runing in and put of Finsbury Park and beyond, steam hauled locals, diverted expresses and even preserved locomotives.

And the fun part? That depot and the sidings function as a publicly visibly fiddle yard (do we need one round the back behind the scenery, then?) on which to display our lovely stock...

Just an idea thrown out there for some comments - enthusiasm would be nice as it might get saw applied to wood and so on...

But, in the mean time we have the current Highgate Wood Sidings to look upon and admire greatly - and fond memories of Bromley North.

Best,

Marcus

G'day Gents

I have many fond memories of walking the Highgate and Ally Pally branch, (when the track was still in situ), now I live on the other side of the globe, but I can still enjoy The 'Northern Heights'

I'm building a layout of Edgware and Mill Hill 'the Hale' and have be researching the Northern Heights for many years, so if you need information, give us a Hoy.

manna

I have always been fascinated by this branch so it gets a vote from me. How will you source N gauge 313's?

Paul R

I have always been fascinated by this branch so it gets a vote from me. How will you source N gauge 313's?

Paul R

I was insipred by this groups endeavours...

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/news/2013-ngauge-class313kit.html

Similarly, N gauge 1959 tube stock from...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1081437/n-gauge-1959-tube-train-4car.html

HTH

Best,

Marcus

Archived