Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I think if I enjoyed building structures more than running trains I'd do what you're doing Jeff.  I envisage it as you would only really use one station as a station during the running session and the other would effectively become the fiddle yard.  It's not a two station layout, it's two station layouts.  I think that makes sense :angel: .  Is this how you intend it? If so go for it.  Whatever makes you happy :scratchhead:

I couldn't have put it better myself.

The idea wasn't to represent a journey from one station to another. It was to effectively create 2 S&C layouts, one already built, the other making use of a large available space and also allowing storage in its sidings.

Well said, you summed things up better than I did a few hours ago.

Keep your opinions coming. At the end of the day this is meant to be fun. Anyone who takes offence because I don't do what they ask is taking this too seriously.

If that happened it would be bye bye KL2 thread IMMEDIATELY.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

My original intention was to have a continuous run from junction to terminus but it created to many issues that would then compromise how I wanted it to look. I now have two layouts both linked by the Culm Valley and some cassettes (yet to be built), in some ways this works better as I can alter stock at that point as though some had been dropped off or picked up on the way at other stations. It also gives me the opportunity to run different locos and stock as the period I model saw a few changes and these can be stored in cassettes until needed.

On one layout nothing has ran for two years and on the other for six months, I guess they still work as any movements have been by 'hand of god'. Too busy making stuff, and thinking about it only me and my grandson have seen anything run.

re PM, I wonder when I'll dig that DAS out of the modelling stuff box.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's very gloomy here, which doesn't make for easy modelling. I much refer natural light to artificial when it comes to working on details.

Some pics below. A bit more brickwork and filler-scribing has been done, though the latter doesn't show up well on the pics. I've also fitted top lintels on the windows and doors. A little bit of filler, rubbing down and painting will be needed on these. But at least it's been an enjoyable couple of hours. 

post-13778-0-15437000-1523373209_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15623300-1523373267_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89468200-1523373325_thumb.jpg

The ongoing discussion on the fiddle yard is welcome to continue. You'll know when I'm doing something as KL2 will come to a halt for a couple of months while something gets built!

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

None of today's activity has been in the Bunker.

A 7 mile walk this morning, in very dreary conditions, followed by some rubbing down of filler applied to the station brickwork last night.

That's it, so not very exciting.

Now where did I put that plan of Cumwhinton?...

Jeff

• Like 2

None of today's activity has been in the Bunker.

A 7 mile walk this morning, in very dreary conditions, followed by some rubbing down of filler applied to the station brickwork last night.

That's it, so not very exciting.

Now where did I put that plan of Cumwhinton?...

Jeff

I do wish I could still walk 7 Miles, 700 Yards would be nice at the moment, I still get out of breath when doing anything like that.

• RMweb Premium

I do wish I could still walk 7 Miles, 700 Yards would be nice at the moment, I still get out of breath when doing anything like that.

The last few times I've been over at dad's I've taken to walking round old haunts. Very enjoyable, so I've dug out a couple of OS maps and I've planned lots of places to go.

When the sun comes out I'll do more walks, but also some more detailing work on the station.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've finally managed to drag myself back to some modelling work....

The final window has been framed and fitted and there's filler all over the place. Now to wait until it hardens before rubbing down and finding the next bits to fill!

I'll post some pics when there is something worth looking at. So it may be quiet for a little while.

Jeff

• Like 3

Update: I've finally managed to drag myself back to some modelling work....

The final window has been framed and fitted and there's filler all over the place. Now to wait until it hardens before rubbing down and finding the next bits to fill!

I'll post some pics when there is something worth looking at. So it may be quiet for a little while.

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff, I'm have a rest after last weeks scare again, so just looking in and getting inspiration from others such as here in filler land.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds good Jeff, I'm have a rest after last weeks scare again, so just looking in and getting inspiration from others such as here in filler land.

I'll PM you shortly.

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well Jeff you seem to have got the bug for building. A lot of people who enjoy the building seem to go the route of building new layouts in sucession. They do tend to be stuck with building small ones though. 

Ken Payne built a magnificent 0 gauge layout. Rather than have a fiddle yard He built a set of loops to act as sidings down one side with an engine shed at the end. At the other end the line went out through a loop (boxed in outside of the shed) the exit was made to look at through there was a station there with an overall roof on the backscene. Down the other side of the shed was a country station which also had a branch which climbed up to a terminus behind and above the sidings. He could leave rakes of trains in the sidings when he wanted to  run one something would be taken off shed  and put on the rake to have a run. 

He still kept finding bits and pieces to add but admitted to me the one day he was a bit frustrated as he had no room to add more. Sadly since his wife died he is no longer his old self. 

You are going to find whatever you do you will run out of things to build but to be honest on a layout of your size it could take quite a time. To me building a second country station is too much of a repeat. I wonder if you could find room for a portable terminus which could link to the fiddle yard something like David Jenkinson's Marthwaite. A bit more of a town settings lots of buildings lovely Cumbrian cottages. Different operating style. You may even get to enjoy shunting. I thnk the challenge of a town setting might just be the thing. 

Don

ps I hope to get the major work at home finished soon. 

• Like 3

Well Jeff you seem to have got the bug for building. A lot of people who enjoy the building seem to go the route of building new layouts in sucession. They do tend to be stuck with building small ones though. 

Ken Payne built a magnificent 0 gauge layout. Rather than have a fiddle yard He built a set of loops to act as sidings down one side with an engine shed at the end. At the other end the line went out through a loop (boxed in outside of the shed) the exit was made to look at through there was a station there with an overall roof on the backscene. Down the other side of the shed was a country station which also had a branch which climbed up to a terminus behind and above the sidings. He could leave rakes of trains in the sidings when he wanted to  run one something would be taken off shed  and put on the rake to have a run. 

He still kept finding bits and pieces to add but admitted to me the one day he was a bit frustrated as he had no room to add more. Sadly since his wife died he is no longer his old self. 

You are going to find whatever you do you will run out of things to build but to be honest on a layout of your size it could take quite a time. To me building a second country station is too much of a repeat. I wonder if you could find room for a portable terminus which could link to the fiddle yard something like David Jenkinson's Marthwaite. A bit more of a town settings lots of buildings lovely Cumbrian cottages. Different operating style. You may even get to enjoy shunting. I thnk the challenge of a town setting might just be the thing. 

Don

ps I hope to get the major work at home finished soon. 

EM Gauge to Kendale and Colby. O Gauge Splendor.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Kendale and Colby. O Gauge Splendor.

Spending a couple of hours nattering with Ken while my Bulldog romped round with a rake of his coaches was a splendid way to spend an afternoon.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don and Andy.

Not sure EXACTLY what's going to happen in the fiddle yard area at the moment. I'll get some buildings finished and then decide.

Don, just let me know when you're ready for some "action". As I've said before, and as you can tell by what I'm doing, there is no hurry.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time I put some pics on here. You may struggle to spot any differences from the last batch, but there's about 10 hours of filling and sanding- down between the two.

Still plenty to do.

post-13778-0-57484500-1523891718_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79121800-1523891772_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54624200-1523891827_thumb.jpg

Apologies to those of you who expected KL2 to have lots of trains moving around.....

Jeff

• Like 8

Hi Jeff

"Apologies to those of you who expected KL2 to have lots of trains moving around....."

No need to apologise on my behalf.

Several years ago myself and a friend went to that little layout in Hamburg, whilst looking around my mate asked "When did you last notice a train?"

There is so much more to a model railway than trains.

It's your model railway for you to do what you want with and I'm happy that you choose to share what you do with the rest of us.

Excellent work as usual.

Chip.

I've been sitting on a drystone wall looking down on KL as the station buildings are being constructed. Behind me, beneath the fell, I could hear tracks being ripped-up. What's all this about I thought to myself, as I chatted with one of the local sheep?

The sheep wasn't forthcoming so I took an old envelope out of my back pocket and sketched this:

post-6880-0-38577800-1523900987.jpg

Showing it to the sheep, before it took a mouthful, it said better show it to young Jeff who lives far yonder over the hills.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Peter, thanks for your musings. You may recall that you were the person to suggest converting the fiddle yard into a scenic setting, way back in the mists of time.

I've just scanned through several pages, but couldn't find your post with its attached diagram.

All ideas are gratefully received. I can't see the present set-up surviving, and - as I've said - I'm keeping an open mind about what I intend to do about it.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Peter, thanks for your musings. You may recall that you were the person to suggest converting the fiddle yard into a scenic setting, way back in the mists of time.

I've just scanned through several pages, but couldn't find your post with its attached diagram.

All ideas are gratefully received. I can't see the present set-up surviving, and - as I've said - I'm keeping an open mind about what I intend to do about it.

Jeff

A change is always as good as a rest Jeff, and it will give you continued imputes and ideas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

"Apologies to those of you who expected KL2 to have lots of trains moving around....."

No need to apologise on my behalf.

Several years ago myself and a friend went to that little layout in Hamburg, whilst looking around my mate asked "When did you last notice a train?"

There is so much more to a model railway than trains.

It's your model railway for you to do what you want with and I'm happy that you choose to share what you do with the rest of us.

Excellent work as usual.

Chip.

It's been a bit too quiet on my thread and I like to show that I'm doing something...however trivial.

Funny how posting on a forum makes you feel obliged to show something.

I suppose the advantage is that being "on view" does tend to spur you on a bit.

So thanks, Chip.

Cheers to Andy, too. A rest is what a lot of us need at times. Sometimes easy to get stressed about relatively minor things - like a hobby!!

I DO hope you're relaxing, Andy. Health is so much more important than trains - whatever the gauge :-) :-)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've been sitting on a drystone wall looking down on KL as the station buildings are being constructed. Behind me, beneath the fell, I could hear tracks being ripped-up. What's all this about I thought to myself, as I chatted with one of the local sheep?

The sheep wasn't forthcoming so I took an old envelope out of my back pocket and sketched this:

attachicon.gifFile2269.jpg

Showing it to the sheep, before it took a mouthful, it said better show it to young Jeff who lives far yonder over the hills.

Peter, I finally located your previous "scenic" fiddle yard post. November 10, 2015 - page 68 on this thread.

Now, I notice that Larry has changed the name of his Carrog layout....AGAIN.....

So I thought it was about time this layout name was changed - slightly. It's now 216 pages removed from its predecessor.

So I think I'll just call this one Kirkby Luneside and rename the first one Kirkby Luneside (Original).

I'll make the change when I can get to the laptop, instead of this tablet.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Peter, I finally located your previous "scenic" fiddle yard post. November 10, 2015 - page 68 on this thread.

So I think I'll just call this one Kirkby Luneside and rename the first one Kirkby Luneside (Original).

Jeff

Great move Jeff, when did you ever see a REAL Station with a number 2 on it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you should use Shin-KL?

I'm guessing this is from the Japanese meaning "true"?

I think KL will do :-)

I wouldn't want people to think it was a medical thread they were looking at!

Jeff