Plymouth Friary in 4mm

JonKing

Having primarily built kits and detailed / resprayed RTR locos up to this point I thought it was probably time to build a small layout on which to run them!. In the past I have been particularly inspired by the US based switching layouts designed and built by Lance Mindheim (a quick google search will find his work) so I set about finding a suitable, relatively modern, UK prototype which would fit into a small space but also be fairly interesting to operate in the same style as Lance's layouts. .

Luckily I didnt have to look far as the yard at Plymouth Friary in the early 2000s met my requirements perfectly. Having grown up in Devon and visited Plymouth regularly during that time on shopping trips, visits to watch PAFC or just trips with Dad to watch trains I remember this small yard situated in a residential area of Plymouth was very busy at the time as it was the point at which trains reversed to gain access to the various sidings in Cattewater Docks. During the early 2000s the main traffic was bitumen in 4 wheel TTA tank wagons to the Bitumen plant at Cattewater (running Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays if I remember) and scrap metal to the EMR facility around 1/2 a mile down the Cattewater branch conveyed in a mixed bag of 4 wheel and bogie open wagons. As far as I remember all trains were hauled by one of Tavistock Junctions 08s / 09s with the scrap workings being propelled down the branch with the assistance of a shark brake van due to lack of run round facility at EMR, interestingly the scrap trains were also shunted at Friary as only a couple wagons could be propelled down the branch to EMR at any time. Sadly all this is now a distant memory and what is left of Friary and the Cattewater branch is being overtaken by vegetation.

post-24470-0-23437900-1420400251.jpg

Above is a quick plan of what I intend to build, slightly compressed from the prototype to fit into a space of approx 8ft by 18in (scenic area). Those who know the prototype will know that the siding to the bottom of the plan was removed in the early 2000s. I do not intend to model the terraced houses to the top of the embankment due to space issues but will include these on some form of photo back scene, I am also not too happy with the angle of Tothill Road Bridge, whilst this is how it is in real life I feel it would look better at right angles to the front of the layout.

Anyway, I hope to update this thread with progress at it happens!

At last!  Friary has been neglected (as far as I know) in the model world and as it was on home ground, any era would be welcome.  If one were really good, the station would be a grand model, thirties vintage or forties if one likes WCs.  The track plan although fairly simple would allow a lot of action which again could be separated by Tothill Road bridge allowing a fiddle yard the other side.

Excellent choice and good luck with it.

Brian.

At last!  Friary has been neglected (as far as I know) in the model world and as it was on home ground, any era would be welcome.  If one were really good, the station would be a grand model, thirties vintage or forties if one likes WCs.  The track plan although fairly simple would allow a lot of action which again could be separated by Tothill Road bridge allowing a fiddle yard the other side.

Excellent choice and good luck with it.

Brian.

Yes, although much before my chosen time period a model of the station would be a nice layout, as you say I'm surprised it hasn't been done before as Tothill Road is the perfect scenic break! I was toying with making my layout a couple of decades earlier when the remains of the station were used as Plymouths main marshalling yard for Speedlink / wagonload traffic.

There was a layout based on Friary which was exhibited by a Plymouth club a few times in recent years. I don't know if it is still in existence.

The layouts name was Friary New by the North Road Railway Club in Plymouth. It had appeared in a couple of model magazines. The layout, IIRC, was based on an updated transport network around the PLymouth area, with the branch to Yealmpton still open and the links to Yelverton and Gunnislake. As far as I know this layout is still in existance, but as North Road do not have a website I can not confirm this.

As for the angle of Tothill Bridge, i think it make for an interesting end to the layout with the sidings curving round to meet it. It would certainly be a change from the normal 90deg end on finish to terminal layouts.

I look forward to seeing the progress of this project.

• RMweb Premium

So you were the other person that used to watch Argyle :sarcastichand:.  I gave up in 1996 (except for one away game at Chesterfield in April 2013!)

Anyway, lovely setting for a layout in that cutting and a huge excuse to run LEs up from Laira.

Lots of info on the Cattewater Branch in the Railways of Devon thread (I Think).

Last time I went to see Friary must have been early 80s.

P

There was a layout based on Friary which was exhibited by a Plymouth club a few times in recent years. I don't know if it is still in existence.

It is it's called Friary New and belongs to the North Road MRC.

Excellent layout with incredible hand painted backscenes of the St Judes area.

E

Guest 34008Padstow

Always been intrested in Friary so will be following with intrest. Not sure if you've seen this before but its a cab view around Friary and Cattewater. Could be of use.

• RMweb Gold

So you were the other person that used to watch Argyle :sarcastichand:.  I gave up in 1996 (except for one away game at Chesterfield in April 2013!)

Anyway, lovely setting for a layout in that cutting and a huge excuse to run LEs up from Laira.

Lots of info on the Cattewater Branch in the Railways of Devon thread (I Think).

Last time I went to see Friary must have been early 80s.

P

Definitely a bit later than me then as we got married - in the church very near to the railway in 1977 and MIL lived, then, at the opposite end of Tothill Road bridge.  Still quite a decent yard there in those days unlike now where I think just about everything that side of the bridge has been built over.

• RMweb Premium

Everything on the city side of the bridge is built on first a retail park and over towards Beaumont Road is a small housing estate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/White+Friars+Ln,+Plymouth+PL4/@50.3721896,-4.1295746,511m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x486cecb13be8c905:0xa5bb40aa9bb65189

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of pictures of Friary New on another Forum   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23320 these were taken at the 2012 Plymouth Exhibition.

It shows the backscene quite well.

E

There are a couple of pictures of Friary New on another Forum   http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23320 these were taken at the 2012 Plymouth Exhibition.

E

E

Memorable backscene that one as it includes the church where I got married ;)

• RMweb Premium

E

One of those layouts is Cattewater I think? The one before Exford.

P

• RMweb Premium

In latter days, Friary seemed to deal with a lot of military vehicle traffic; have a look at the 'Warwells' page on Paul Bartlett's site:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell

I'd forgotten just how impressive that bridge was/is. Last time I went over that was in 1994 (I think it was 94) when Argyle had just got into the play off final at Wembley v Darlington and I was going back to Salcombe where I was staying. Argyle won that final and were promoted.....Neil Warnock was Manager at the time; great motivator of players that bloke, but maybe not at Palace!

I liked Friary in steam days but hardly ever went over there as I only started spotting in '58. The Shed was a small and friendly place too; so easy going compared to Laira which was so much busier of course.

P

Everything on the city side of the bridge is built on first a retail park and over towards Beaumont Road is a small housing estate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/White+Friars+Ln,+Plymouth+PL4/@50.3721896,-4.1295746,511m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x486cecb13be8c905:0xa5bb40aa9bb65189

Wonder if Google will ever update this?

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

That layout was called Tavy Tor if I remember correctly. It's N gauge but not sure if it is based on anything in particular.

E

Thanks. It was the oil sidings and steep cliff face that made me think of Cattewater. If you look through the Cattewater thread photo's you'll get my thinking.

P

I'd forgotten just how impressive that bridge was/is. Last time I went over that was in 1994 (I think it was 94) when Argyle had just got into the play off final at Wembley v Darlington and I was going back to Salcombe where I was staying. Argyle won that final and were promoted.....Neil Warnock was Manager at the time; great motivator of players that bloke, but maybe not at Palace!

I liked Friary in steam days but hardly ever went over there as I only started spotting in '58. The Shed was a small and friendly place too; so easy going compared to Laira which was so much busier of course.

P

Off-topic I know, but... if you read the PASOTI (Plymouth Argyle Supporters on the Internet) site, it's clear that there's still a lot of goodwill towards 'Colin' among Argyle fans, and plenty would welcome him back.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, I think I remember seeing the Friary New layout at Plymouth exhibition around 2006? Certainly was a nice layout.

The layout has taken a step forward today with the ordering of a set of laser cut baseboards from Grainge and Hodder to supplement the one I bought at Warley last year. Whilst this may be cheating attempts to build my own baseboards in the past have been less than successful, they have been so bad in fact that my wife thinks I just buy timber to cut it up in the garage and then take it to the tip! The Grainge and Hodder baseboards also go together nicely allowing me to spend more time on enjoyable tasks such as track building.

In latter days, Friary seemed to deal with a lot of military vehicle traffic; have a look at the 'Warwells' page on Paul Bartlett's site:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this traffic. I wonder what workings these wagons were for?

As a member of the North Road Railway Club, I can confirm that Friary New is still very much in existence. We are quite a small club and don't have a website at present. For those who have an archive of Railway Modeller the layout was featured in the May 2001 issue. I'm not sure when its next exhibition appearance will be at present.

It'll be interesting to see your plan develop further. I have also seen 66's on the Cattewater branch for the scrap trains but only an 08 or 09 on the bitumen trains. Network Rail 37s have also been down on test trains as well as a 150 unit.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, I think I remember seeing the Friary New layout at Plymouth exhibition around 2006? Certainly was a nice layout.

The layout has taken a step forward today with the ordering of a set of laser cut baseboards from Grainge and Hodder to supplement the one I bought at Warley last year. Whilst this may be cheating attempts to build my own baseboards in the past have been less than successful, they have been so bad in fact that my wife thinks I just buy timber to cut it up in the garage and then take it to the tip! The Grainge and Hodder baseboards also go together nicely allowing me to spend more time on enjoyable tasks such as track building.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this traffic. I wonder what workings these wagons were for?

The vehicles on the Warwells were Bedford 3-tonners, so possibly going to or from Ashchurch (Glos) for maintenance. Presumably, there was an Army presence in the area, as well as the Senior Service, but I've seen no mention of any non-Navy military rail-head.

Archived