NCE Power cab locked?

paul northcott

Hi,

Hope someone could point me in the right direction.

I have an NCE Powercab system which has worked perfectly in the past.

I recently purchased a Sound fitted Hornby K1, and it worked fine on a rolling road for a couple of hours. I then tried it on the track, the tender derailed on a set of electrofrog points, and everything went off, i assume because of a short.

I tried to start again, plugging the hand set in. This time, the screen lights up with the initial display:

NCE PROCAB V1.3

CAB ADDRESS = 03

And there it stops!

The red indicator does not come on, and I am unable to move from this screen to select a loco etc.

Anyone any ideas what the problem might be, and what i need to do to clear it?

Assuming its just a powercab setup, with no boosters etc, just unplug the little two pin green plug , that plugs into the UTP panel behind where the red LED is.  Then plug it in at the mains again and see if it resets.. remembering to still use the correct lead ( flat not curly) and the correct socket as said above.

If it does work, its a problem on the layout.

Then try this . Power down completely, and with the layout disconnected as above, the powercab etc all connected though, hold down the "select loco" and power up still holding the button... wait ten seconds -ish and it should give you an option to change the powercab number, proving that the powercab functions OK. If it doesn't do this, its definitely a powercab fault..

Thanks for the advice Soony,

Tried the first part, still seems to be locked and no red light, so looks like the layout is ok

Then tried the second part, seemed to give me the option to change the powercab number, so at a bit of a loss to see where the fault might be, could changing the number be a solution, or is 03 the default?

Regards

Paul

That leaves me confused , as it appears that the powercab hand unit is OK ( unless its some real quirk, but normally they jack at that point, if its the electronics)

If its a single powercab handheld system, then the cab number isnt really relevant ( see the manual- before changing as there are only certain valid numbers) it just shows life in the circuitry.

It all points back to the flat lead . Is there any chance you can borrow one, or swap it to see if that works. Other than that , look carefully inside the "phone" sockets and see if all the contacts look in line , like paralel tracks just in case its those connectors in the black panel or even the handset itself

Thanks for the advice Soony,

Tried the first part, still seems to be locked and no red light, so looks like the layout is ok

Then tried the second part, seemed to give me the option to change the powercab number, so at a bit of a loss to see where the fault might be, could changing the number be a solution, or is 03 the default?

Regards

Paul

The default for the Powercab is 02. See page 14 of the instruction manual. Looks like you may have accidently set the Procab address 03

Mal

Archived