Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Hi Paul,

I'll look forward to pictures of your open weekend being posted. Can I pose a question if I may, I'm currently waiting to start weathering a rake of six Sealions but I'm struggling to find pictures from the late 80s/early 90s, I don't suppose you'd happen to have any?

I know they wouldn't be as filthy as in later years but I'd like to have some sort of reference to go on.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Paul,

I'll look forward to pictures of your open weekend being posted. Can I pose a question if I may, I'm currently waiting to start weathering a rake of six Sealions but I'm struggling to find pictures from the late 80s/early 90s, I don't suppose you'd happen to have any?

I know they wouldn't be as filthy as in later years but I'd like to have some sort of reference to go on.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne,

Paul will almost certainly have lots of views, but here's some from another Paul's collection:-

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Paul,

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne,

Can you confirm liveries you are after, I checked my wagon folders and I haven't added many of my own pics so will need to get them from my location folders? Green were still around while I was taking my photos.

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cheers Paul,

Those are great just what I was looking for. Would you mind if I saved them, purely for my own use of course and full credit to you?

I particularly like the green ones, they took on a sort of brown look which might be 'fun'.

Cheers

Wayne

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Cheers Paul,

Those are great just what I was looking for. Would you mind if I saved them, purely for my own use of course and full credit to you?

I particularly like the green ones, they took on a sort of brown look which might be 'fun'.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne,

You are welcome to use as required. I haven't found any more Green ones yet.

Cheers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LongRail said:

White and yellow how can you tell

Gary,

You are right it is difficult. But I researched them when I did 4mm models.

Below is the Hornby Seacow version. Then a Sealion from a Lima model.

Cheers.

dscn0008.JPG

White Sealion.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

This year's show (open weekend) has changed date to 26th, 27th & 28th July, one week later than previously planned.
The O gauge challenge has received 3 entrants, Brighton Works by Ernie Puddick, Hillport Goods by Steve Farmer, and Tudwick Road Siding by Dave Tailby.
Other layouts so far booked are Cripple Sidings 00 gauge by Richard Coleman, Dungeness Daydreaming 1:22 scale by John Polley, Hither Green PAD N gauge by Carl White, Oldshaw EM gauge by Guy Molyneux, Mike Hale and Tom Harwin,  St Michaels Street 00 gauge by Mike Cubberley, and Cappenham Yard 00 gauge by George Woodcock & John Norton.
All the usual other stuff (demos, secondhand stand, etc), more details will be posted as things are confirmed.

Get in touch if you would like to visit.

I am looking at putting the ex Ashford Signal Box panels on the ceiling of the studio, as I don't have much wall space left after all the signage already on display. Pictures of panels below.

Cheers.

Ashford SB panel (0) small.jpg

Ashford SB panel (3) small.jpg

Ashford SB panel (5) small.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Andy,

The panels have been in the Studio loft for ages, while making more space I saw them and thought if I could do something with them. I didn't think of your interest. What surprised me is how old the track layout was, at least the 1970s.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

The Ashford signal box panel has gone on my studio ceiling and turned out ok. I just have to paint the fixing screws green to match the panel. It can be seen at my open weekend Lydd Rail on 26th, 27th & 28th July.

Cheers.

Ashford Panel on studio ceiling (1).jpg

Ashford Panel on studio ceiling (2).jpg

• Like 13

Wow Paul - amazing! That is the very set of panels (I think, having studied it quite carefully on the previous photos) that I used to be involved with when I was Duty Traffic Manager Ashford in the mid-80's. I say involved, because I did not supervise it, nor was I trained to operate it (we had to be able to operate all the fringe boxes in emergencies, if a Divisional relief was not immediately available). It had its own supervisor who reported to the Area Operations Manager, not us. But we had to know all the moves and some of the key signal and point locations/numbers for emergencies, single line working and local instructions.

Brilliant to see it preserved!

Mike,

I am confused how old the track plan was. I assume it was replaced at sometime?

I am glad it will be preserved as you say. I brought it off,  a at the time railway colleague who worked in the Crane Repair Depot.

Cheers.

Sorry Paul - I don't know the answer to how old it was - maybe as old as the "new" box - 1962? It had definitely been replaced by the time of the HS1 works, but whether a different version had replaced it between my departure from Ashford in 1986/7, and HS1, I do not know. The habit in my time there was to use bits of sticky paper to show changes done in the meantime!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Lydd Rail show went very well even with the showers every day. Luckily it was dry enough for the BBQ on Saturday evening. We were down on numbers because of the date change but that was not a disadvantage.

Steve Farmer's Hillsport Goods won the 0 gauge layout challenge, with Oldshaw winning best layout in show. Gary Long's demo of 3D printing was very interesting as were his road vehicles and stock. We had a lot of fun and a good laugh.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and did the cooking and cleaning, plus the generous donations. Next years show will be 17th, 18th & 19th July.

The TWYPS (Tonbridge West Yard Preservation Society) was formed to save my layout, thanks Kev!!

Some pictures of the show below.

Cheers.

Lydd Rail on Monday (1).jpg

Hillport Goods (4).jpg

Oldshaw (3).jpg

Gary Long Demo (1).jpg

Hither Green PAD (1).jpg

Cappenham Yard & Nobby.jpg

Mark Lambert Wagons.jpg

TWYPS Shirt (1).jpg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1