Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Mike,

I will speak to my France expert (that is you Brian). I did enjoy those visits. For the record they were Aubenas in 1997, Pont-A-Marcq in 2001 and Cambrai in 2006. Aubenas was a long journey with an overnight stop at Brian's shared vineyard. At Pont-A-Marcq the kids kept shouting "TGV" every time the Eurostars past!  I was interviewed by the local radio reporter who asked me a long question in French, only for me to show I didn't understand a word he had said! Also we had a big meal organised by the club where we all got drunk and were explaining where we lived in England by drawing on the table cloths! Happy times.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Mike,

I will speak to my France expert (that is you Brian). I did enjoy those visits. For the record they were Aubenas in 1997, Pont-A-Marcq in 2001 and Cambrai in 2006. Aubenas was a long journey with an overnight stop at Brian's shared vineyard. At Pont-A-Marcq the kids kept shouting "TGV" every time the Eurostars past!  I was interviewed by the local radio reporter who asked me a long question in French, only for me to show I didn't understand a word he had said! Also we had a big meal organised by the club where we all got drunk and were explaining where we lived in England by drawing on the table cloths! Happy times.

Cheers.

I'm up for one..

Paul got the invitation for Aubenas at a show in the UK, I think. It was a minimum-crew job; Paul and I drove out, stopping at my friends in the Beaujolais on the way out, whilst Mike Fraser and my wife, Lynne, came out by train. My seven year old Lyonnais god-daughter came down to help operate, winding Mike up by stopping trains suddenly in the fiddle-yard.

Pont-a-Marcq was an invite via a work colleague who was Deputy Mayor of the adjacent village; he was Edouard Bougard, who had been one of the crew on the shuttle that caught fire on the 18/11/1997. The 'radio reporter' wasn't broadcasting most of the time, simply acting a bit like a fairground barker, and annoying everyone who was there for more than half-an-hour. The kids arrived on the Saturday morning, led in by the mayor, deputy, and various other dignitaries; enough to crowd the miners' welfare we were in.

My main recollection of Cambrai is that we lodged in one of those 'Formule 1' type hotels; virtually every other room being occupied by people having clandestine (but very noisy) affairs.

• Like 1

Fat Controller said ....

"My main recollection of Cambrai is that we lodged in one of those 'Formule 1' type hotels; virtually every other room being occupied by people having clandestine (but very noisy) affairs."

Once we had got into the damn place ... and negotiated the Lego style furniture .. :D!

I'd be up for another overseas adventure again ... :).

Meld.

• Like 1

Sounds like it might happen then!! Not much around here - one show every two years in Rochefort-sur-Mer, organised by the local club, Traction-17. Next one due in April 2019, but it is housed in a local gym, and probably not as large or varied as you would be used to. Not much commercial support either.

So, wherever, whenever!

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested this years shows are Horsham on 14th & 15th April, Great Central Railway 15th, 16th & 17th June, and Fareham 6th & 7th October. A light year for shows to make more time to do some new stock and progress Redhill Up Yard which will be at 2 shows this year.

Cheers.

• Like 3

For anyone interested this years shows are Horsham on 14th & 15th April, Great Central Railway 15th, 16th & 17th June, and Fareham 6th & 7th October. A light year for shows to make more time to do some new stock and progress Redhill Up Yard which will be at 2 shows this year.

Cheers.

See you at Horsham!

• 2 months later...

TWY makes it's first show on 14th & 15th April at Horsham (Crawley MRS). I last exhibited there in 1994, and remember getting mixed up with Crawley & Horsham, there were no sat navs back then!

The layout has been prepared early as seen below awaiting the off.

post-1373-0-51615300-1522923739_thumb.jpg

I will be running a couple of extra EMUs which used to run through Horsham.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

TWY makes it's first show on 14th & 15th April at Horsham (Crawley MRS). I last exhibited there in 1994, and remember getting mixed up with Crawley & Horsham, there were no sat navs back then!

The layout has been prepared early as seen below awaiting the off.

attachicon.gifTWY ready to go.JPG

I will be running a couple of extra EMUs which used to run through Horsham.

Cheers.

Hi Paul

I hope they are some of your well modelled MTK EMUs for the great unwashed to enjoy. Have fun. I bet you will still get lost with the Sat Nav.

• Like 1

Hi Paul

I hope they are some of your well modelled MTK EMUs for the great unwashed to enjoy. Have fun. I bet you will still get lost with the Sat Nav.

Clive,

Yes they are, my 319/1 and 456 should fit right in.

cheers.

• Like 1

Fat Controller said ....

"My main recollection of Cambrai is that we lodged in one of those 'Formule 1' type hotels; virtually every other room being occupied by people having clandestine (but very noisy) affairs."

Once we had got into the damn place ... and negotiated the Lego style furniture .. :D!

I'd be up for another overseas adventure again ... :).

Meld.

I was told that the F1 Brothels Hotels were popular with working girls who had block bookings....

• Like 1

I was told that the F1 Brothels Hotels were popular with working girls who had block bookings....

Ernie,

You are correct, we heard some "action" from a nearby room, and Mike F found a case of reading "material" in his room from the last guest!

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Ernie,

You are correct, we heard some "action" from a nearby room, and Mike F found a case of reading "material" in his room from the last guest!

Cheers.

Knowing Mike he would have been shocked and horrified to find such "material", well if questioned that what he would have told Mrs F. :no: :no:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

It was much the case at the F1 in Peterborough, but without the class.....When we had major blocks on, and had to put staff up for the night, we were supposed to book "economy" as far as possible, but the F1 was often inexplicably "full". Not sure which part of the economy these rooms were allocated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am just about to start getting the layout ready for next weeks GCR Model show at Quorn.
I have decided to retire the layout after the Canterbury show in January 2019. That will be TWY's 103rd show over a period of 29 years.
It may return one day but it will become my home layout in the studio.
See it while you can, GCR 15th, 16th & 17th June, Fareham 6th & 7th October and Canterbury 19th & 20th January 2019.
Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am just about to start getting the layout ready for next weeks GCR Model show at Quorn.

I have decided to retire the layout after the Canterbury show in January 2019. That will be TWY's 103rd show over a period of 29 years.

It may return one day but it will become my home layout in the studio.

See it while you can, GCR 15th, 16th & 17th June, Fareham 6th & 7th October and Canterbury 19th & 20th January 2019.

Cheers.

Hi Paul

How are you for operators? I am willing to be the new Mike Fraser.

• RMweb Premium

Make sure you have a few fans to keep you cool at GCR. 

Paul has plenty of fans.

I'm sure they'll stand there and wave a large palm leaf to keep Paul and his team cool.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Paul already is the new Mike Fraser...

TWY

Deadmans Lane

Fenchurch St Peter

Towcester to name but a few!!!

Also include New Bryford and Georgemas Junction on that list.

He turns up at more shows than you..................

(Which is possibly a "good thing" as DL was running perfectly well at the DEMU Showcase until a certain exhibition manager wanted to have ago and within 15 seconds it was jib stopped.......)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I am happy yo help my "friends" operate their layouts. I don't think Mike Fraser can be mentioned as an example as he has never had his own layout!

Lets not forget Nobby had to be replaced and I was the man to fill his shoes!

Cheers.

• Like 1