Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Premium

I agree with all the above comments, Derek. Although I have painted and lined 4 and 7mm locomotives, it's the part of making a model that still causes me the greatest angst and I've never had the courage to attempt a fully lined Midland carriage. All power to his (obviously steady) elbow.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Impressive. I'm especially enjoying the gas pipes and other roof furniture. Are they standard issue with the Slaters 7 mm scale kits? 

Hi Compound2632

yes these are the standard ones in the kit. probably the easiest bit of the build! 

thanks 

20211024_194813.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I agree with all the above comments, Derek. Although I have painted and lined 4 and 7mm locomotives, it's the part of making a model that still causes me the greatest angst and I've never had the courage to attempt a fully lined Midland carriage. All power to his (obviously steady) elbow.

Dave 

After now doing 5 coaches I have learnt a couple of tricks.....but the only one I would recommend is take your time. They are certainly not Larry Goddards or Ian Rathbone standard ....I think I need a few more decade years of practice!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I think that would be Lamarkianism. I can't see that an ability in constructing model carriages would be sufficiently evolutionarily favourable to have become a genetic trait. Nurture rather than nature in this case, I contend.

I don’t believe in Lamarckism as against natural selection - that’s a red herring anyway here as there is neither evolutionary pressure nor advantage at stake - but it it’s perfectly possible that the ability to focus and concentrate, hand-eye coordination, and superior fine motor controls are genetic traits. The honing of these skills, and putting them to use in railway modelling, however, is definitely a matter of nurture.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Impressive. I'm especially enjoying the gas pipes and other roof furniture. Are they standard issue with the Slaters 7 mm scale kits? 

I think they would have been part of the kits, but I will ask him next time I speak to him.

Derek

Oh, I see Chris has answered your query.

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

I could only stand on the side lines.  We live 170 miles apart

Derek

Sometimes just standing on the side lines is enough.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now comes the hard part Lezz.

I bought five low roof kits and seven clerestories by Ratio when they first appeared, but gave them to Larry Goddard to paint and line.

Later, I built five 54’ corridor clerestories using Trevor Charlton parts, and finished them myself.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't find painting and lining too difficult Derek. Whether or not other people agree with me about that remains to be seen. Having said that I could see a lot better when I built that coach than I do now. There again I have much better glasses now so I'm hoping that those two things cancel each other out. One can but hope and try one's best. My biggest problem is getting distracted from my modelling, mostly by my koi pond, not to mention re-roofing my shed. I was hoping to get some modelling done today but sadly it was not to be.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

21 hours ago, v8cpt said:

After now doing 5 coaches I have learnt a couple of tricks.....but the only one I would recommend is take your time. They are certainly not Larry Goddards or Ian Rathbone standard ....I think I need a few more decade years of practice!!!

Those are truly stunning. You should be rightfully proud of that work.

Serious question - do you do commissions?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 25/10/2021 at 18:28, Martin S-C said:

Those are truly stunning. You should be rightfully proud of that work.

Serious question - do you do commissions?

No I am afraid not, with a busy family and work life I only just manage to get my own stuff done 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you Paul, yes it does seem that way, but thanks to Dave Hunt for the work he must have put in to give us such a good MRJ.

I have a couple of pm’s, but there seems to be a strip of no mans land at the top of the page, which stops me accessing them.  Do any others have this problem.  I get a bit fed up of all the daft adverts and delete them asap.  Am I alone in thinking this?

Derek

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

You can also install an ad-blocker in your web browser; all the main ones have the option for this. As a result of using ad-blockers I have never seen a single advertisement anywhere on the internet since about 2001. Watching You Tube videos ad-free is wonderful. I see no end of people complaining about the ads I don't see, especially interrupting music videos.

Of course sites do need income and advertising helps generate that but since I would never ever click on a web advert anyway, my blocking them doesn't hurt any websites income flow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, lezz01 said:

I recommend gold membership Derek. I haven't seen an add since I joined gold mate.

Regards Lez. 

Quite agree, Lez and there's access to all those magazines via World of Railways.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

You can also install an ad-blocker in your web browser; all the main ones have the option for this. As a result of using ad-blockers I have never seen a single advertisement anywhere on the internet since about 2001. Watching You Tube videos ad-free is wonderful. I see no end of people complaining about the ads I don't see, especially interrupting music videos.

Of course sites do need income and advertising helps generate that but since I would never ever click on a web advert anyway, my blocking them doesn't hurt any websites income flow.

That sounds great Martin,  no ads even on youtube.   May I ask what ad-blockker you have on your browser ? 

Thanks