Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

He seems to have missed the earlier transfer of No. 1215 (ex 789) to Skipton for the Kirkby Malham branch. Of that engine, he does say that around 1912 it went to Derby as works shunter.

Grassington Branch?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Grassington Branch?

Summerson does not say to what use the engines transferred to Skipton and Manningham in 1921/22 were put. No. 789 is Derek's engine, I was just having my little joke.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Grassington Branch?

My first proper EM layout was a 75% copy of Grassington.  I knew the station when in its original track layout.    My friends and I camped nearby for years in our teens.

It was my ambition to build a layout of Grassington, and in 1965 moved to a house were I could put a floor in the loft and build my dream.

But it was still quite a distance from Kirkby Malham.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Summerson does not say to what use the engines transferred to Skipton and Manningham in 1921/22 were put. No. 789 is Derek's engine, I was just having my little joke.

Point taken, Stephen.   I have to admit to my shame, that numbers of engines passed me by.  Yes I will use  appropriate numbers when I can find them.

I was never a train spotter.  All my friends had their books of ‘cops’.

It left me cold but I would go with them to places but Iwas more interested in the operation and shunting going on, and would sit and watch it for hours while they drooled over getting a particular engine.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, not quick enough on the up take.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

During  the  exhibiting  of Kirkby Malham mk1, we were at one show where a guy claimed to know the station at KM very well.  My fellow operator and I were a bit nonplussed, but pleased he thought he had recognised the station.

Derek

Derek,

Well done!  It shows that you have done things right.  I saw a London Underground station on a thread, and I said that I recognised it.  It was fictitious, and I knew it was, but it had all the right feel of many stations that I had known.

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2022 at 12:01, Rowsley17D said:

That's a good enough excuse for me to run the one I am building on my layout. Any chance of its number Derek?

I get all my info from the Essery/Jenkinson books, and the useful photos.

I am sure Stephen could advise you on a number.

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

I get all my info from the Essery/Jenkinson books, and the useful photos.

I am sure Stephen could advise you on a number.

Derek

@Rowsley17D see above. Most of these engines survived into the late 20s/early 30s, so fit your Derwent Spa scenario. Most remained at Kentish Town or Cricklewood (1203-5, 1211-14, 1216-25); the ones that moved away were:

1200 to Manningham, winter 1921, withdrawn 1928

1201 to Manningham, winter 1921, then to Derby by 1928, remaining there until withdrawal in 1934

1202 to Manningham, winter 1921, withdrawn 1928

1206 to Gloucester by 1909, remaining there until withdrawal in 1928

1207 to Skipton, winter 1921, then to Derby by 1928, then to Toton, and withdrawn in 1928

1208 to Gloucester by 1909, returning to Kentish Town by 1914, then to Skipton, winter 1921, withdrawn 1933

1209 to Skipton, winter 1921, then to Gloucester in 1929, withdrawn 1933

1210 to Derby, between 1917 and 1919, as works shunter, remaining there until withdrawal in 1930

1215 to Derby, probably in 1915, as works shunter, remaining there until withdrawal in 1932

So I suppose you could either reallocate one of the ones known to have been transferred away from London, or perhaps better you could choose to allocate to Derwent Spa one of the engines that in fact remained in London - I doubt it would be missed. However, you'd have to introduce a bit more fiction as the engines moved away from London generally had their condensing gear removed whereas those that remained kept it.

Edited by Compound2632
Typo corrected.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the information, gentlemen. Are your numbers the old ones? Mine's a Beyer-Peacock 0-4-4WT (originally 1200-6). There's a nice photo of 1212 (was 1201) at Derby in 1930 attached to a suburban carriage, so I may go for that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Thank you for the information, gentlemen. Are your numbers the old ones? Mine's a Beyer-Peacock 0-4-4WT (originally 1200-6). There's a nice photo of 1212 (was 1201) at Derby in 1930 attached to a suburban carriage, so I may go for that.

I gave the 1907 numbers, as being appropriate to most of the transfer dates and to your modelling period. I note that Derek's model carries its pre-1907 number. I had omitted to note the January 1930 renumbering you mention, whereby 1201 became 1212 and 1203 became 1213, the other four Beyer Peacocks, along with the Dubs engines carrying those numbers having previously been withdrawn. It's not quite clear to me why that was done. As far as I can see, the number block occupied by the 0-4-4WTs wasn't re-used until taken by Ivatt 2-6-2Ts in 1946, long after the last had been withdrawn. But I'm not really up on later LMS so may have missed something.

• Informative/Useful 3

I'm sure there is a published photo of a Kirtley 0-4-4WT on a passenger train at Ripley but can't find it at the mo. IIRC taken by Casserley some time in the 1920s so Derby did let one out on the line at some time. If it worked to Ripley, it quite likely worked to Wirksworth and Melbourne as well if the Rail Motor diagram is anything to go by. I wouldn't have thought the type was a suitable choice for the works shunter unless there was a shortage of other types but then what do I know?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 8 months later...

Very nice too Chris

No, I have been thinking about abandoning this thread and starting another one.  Many of the pics were taken to illustrate a particular point and which I did not save, so are lost.

The remainder I really don’t want to spend time on, so perhaps, start again.

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek.

Did you scratch build your Kirtley 0-6-0 WT or is it the Peter K kit? The reason I ask is because I just brought a Peter K kit for it on eBay and the instructions are, well, sketchy if I'm being kind although almost non-existent would be closer to the truth. I'm sure I will be able to figure it all out but any help would be apricated.

Regards Lez.  

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Derek.

Did you scratch build your Kirtley 0-6-0 WT or is it the Peter K kit? The reason I ask is because I just brought a Peter K kit for it on eBay and the instructions are, well, sketchy if I'm being kind although almost non-existent would be closer to the truth. I'm sure I will be able to figure it all out but any help would be apricated.

Regards Lez.  

Is this the one that went for £155? I was interested and would have sold on the portescap motor to offset the cost but it went way over my limit! Lovely loco though  

• Like 1

Hi Lez,

It was scratch built back in 1966.  It took about 15 years in the building.  I turned the chimney on my new Unimat and forgot about it until much later found it and built the mainframes.  Into a box it went for a year or two, and so it went on.

Painted by my good mate Larry Goddard.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jamieb said:

Is this the one that went for £155? I was interested and would have sold on the portescap motor to offset the cost but it went way over my limit! Lovely loco though  

Hi Jamie.

Yes that's the one. I have a motor that's a better fit for the Kirtley and a Geo. Norton H boilered 3F for the Portescap to go in. Given that the etches alone are £75 and a Portescap will cost about the same plus the fact it had wheels as well I didn't think that £155 was all that bad. When did you see another one up for sale? The only one I can remember is the one I sold about 30 years ago. There is a bit of a story to this but I'm not going to go into it in public. All I will say is that it really is a small world and leave it at that.

Regards Lez.  

12 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Jamie.

Yes that's the one. I have a motor that's a better fit for the Kirtley and a Geo. Norton H boilered 3F for the Portescap to go in. Given that the etches alone are £75 and a Portescap will cost about the same plus the fact it had wheels as well I didn't think that £155 was all that bad. When did you see another one up for sale? The only one I can remember is the one I sold about 30 years ago. There is a bit of a story to this but I'm not going to go into it in public. All I will say is that it really is a small world and leave it at that.

Regards Lez.  

Best of luck with the build,I've never built anything from Peter K ( tackled a few Jidenco which are probably as daunting).I have some coaches which I take out of the box occasionally and look at wistfully and I've one of his LBSC D2 kits which looks more approachable but his kits in general are very inconsistent 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, richard i said:

Don’t tell me that this is the same loco you sold off all those years ago.

richard 

Indeed it is Richard.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3