Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Thanks to @Crimson Rambler for that.

What follows might be teaching granny to suck eggs,  my apologies. 

The concept of the double framed locomotive was invented by Robert Stephenson because of the danger of broken crank axles. The idea was to support the axle in the event of a failure by using multiple supports in the frame so if the axle broke at any point in its length the locomotive wouldn't derail. So far so good. 

However, this made the frames so rigid that they were breaking. After the GJR takeover of the LMR in 1845 Buddicom investigated and decided that the frames weren't being allowed to 'breath' and simplified the frames by removing many of the internal supports. This and improvements to crank axles resolved the issue or at least got it down to manageable proportions. 

A later improvement was to remove the rigid fixing of the frames to the boiler allowing for expansion of the boiler assembly against the frames which was causing boiler explosions. 

I came to the conclusion a number of years ago that Kirtley, and team of engineers he had, must have thoroughly revisited the d/f concept because it had all but died out being replaced by other framing concepts. 

When the MR placed contracts with industry for the d/f 0-6-0 the contractors very quickly started to offer locomotives of the type to other railways but with their own boilers. They must have been impressed.

I believe a Beyer Peacock loco of that era is in the Cairo museum. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hello Derek

It has been a while since I visited your layout thread and I am very pleased to hear you are doing well after your incident. The layout is looking as wonderful as ever. Can you tell me please, has it ever been featured in any of the railway modelling magazines ... and if not, then why?

I can see Chris Nevard would be able to produce a stunning portfolio of photos of this model.

• Like 1

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your nice comments.

My Kirkby Malham Mark 1 appeared in the short lived Modelling Railways Illustrated mag. The layout was built as a branch off our Grassington layout, many years ago.

KM  mk1 was hawked around the exhibition circuit in the 1980s and 90s, before being sold.

Grassington was scrapped in 1985, and Embsay Canal Road was built in its place.  This was a four track roundy secondary main line station layout, with two tracks EM gauge and two 00 gauge ( my youngest sons).  We could operated six trains at any one time, four on the main lines and shunting on both EM and 00.  The noise in our railway room was deafening so that neither I nor Chris heard calls to do the washing up.

Canal Road was the lead article in the Railway Modeller year book for 2015,but the layout became too much when my knees gave up on me.

So it was cut about and converted into the layout we have  now.

The present Kirkby Malham is not yet complete enough for featuring in a mag.  The final scenic board requires a fair bit of work, then I need some sort of backscene for the last three scenic boards.

Many of the locomotives and much of the rolling stock appeared on all these layouts.  It is all, like me, getting long in the tooth.

Some pics of KM mk1 are included in this thread in the early pages.

Derek

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your nice comments.

My Kirkby Malham Mark 1 appeared in the short lived Modelling Railways Illustrated mag. The layout was built as a branch off our Grassington layout, many years ago.

KM  mk1 was hawked around the exhibition circuit in the 1980s and 90s, before being sold.

Grassington was scrapped in 1985, and Embsay Canal Road was built in its place.  This was a four track roundy secondary main line station layout, with two tracks EM gauge and two 00 gauge ( my youngest sons).  We could operated six trains at any one time, four on the main lines and shunting on both EM and 00.  The noise in our railway room was deafening so that neither I nor Chris heard calls to do the washing up.

Canal Road was the lead article in the Railway Modeller year book for 2015,but the layout became too much when my knees gave up on me.

So it was cut about and converted into the layout we have  now.

The present Kirkby Malham is not yet complete enough for featuring in a mag.  The final scenic board requires a fair bit of work, then I need some sort of backscene for the last three scenic boards.

Many of the locomotives and much of the rolling stock appeared on all these layouts.  It is all, like me, getting long in the tooth.

Some pics of KM mk1 are included in this thread in the early pages.

Derek

Thanks Derek for that lengthy and informative reply. I will most certainly dig out a copy of 2015 Railway Modeller year book. I confess to having never even heard of Modelling Railways Illustrated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, the laws of this land regarding libel and slander are such that it is not possible to repeat the stories surrounding its brief but troubled existence…

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Unfortunately, the laws of this land regarding libel and slander are such that it is not possible to repeat the stories surrounding its brief but troubled existence…

Tell me more.  The original editor, whose name escapes me, created in it a promising publication, but I think  he, sadly, died suddenly and it passed into the hands of someone else, when the quality fell drastically.

I had paid a full years subscription and only received very few mags.

Derek

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I still have the first few copies on my bookshelves as well. I thought we had a very good mag on our hands and then it all went Pete tong. I must confess that I miss the constructor the drawings were very good. I have a few bound volumes from the 70's. It's one I always looked for on second hand/bring and buy stalls at exhibitions. Well back when we had exhibitions that is. Ah the good old days! Seems like only a couple of years ago... oh yes it was only a couple of years ago...my bad! Still booster shots for me and Kimmy next week. Maybe we can take in a show or two before the end of the year they seem to be stirring again in the shires even if Warley is cancelled again this year.

Regards Lez.  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Tell me more.  The original editor, whose name escapes me, created in it a promising publication, but I think  he, sadly, died suddenly and it passed into the hands of someone else, when the quality fell drastically.

I had paid a full years subscription and only received very few mags.

Derek

Publication stopped just after I renewed my subs. I got no refund, even following a solicitor's letter.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Out of the mire of failed magazines in the 80s arose the Model Railway Journal, which set a standard for content that several of them had aspired to. 

But without the colour. I've got some issues as I was buying magazines on and off as a student - whenever there was something of vaguely Midland interest - the colour on the cover of some of those, especially Your Model Railway, was strident. That's how the first issue of MRJ leapt out of the shelves at Smiths at me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some of the comments don't seem to match my memories.

I was thinking Modelling Railways Illustrated was editied by Ian Rice at one time but there was a disagrement and Ricey left. 

The chap in the Model Shop on Wyle Cop new of my interest in finescale and mentioned the forthcoming MRJ and obtained a copy for me.

There was also Model Railway Digest IIRC  which Martin Brent was involved in.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

I managed to find my copy of MR Illustrated which features KM mk1,  November1995, 26 years ago 

OMG

Derek

I shall dig it out of the garage and have another read - thanks!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Here are a few pics of my sons 0 gauge stock.

The carriages are Slaters kits and apart from a couple of six wheelers, are his first attempt at kit building, painting and lining

Derek

9BF5F36A-D955-4623-B496-1587CDF0FC46.jpeg.29981977c2addc5500c5ab6dcb539c30.jpeg

AECFA33E-3A5B-476E-9A69-D1C6CD621BE7.jpeg.b7306d72e77993e4ff4f559f0f54f688.jpeg

9349045D-2BFF-41B4-BEC0-DB80C1CB2A98.jpeg.f20944b995246b9c939d73f51dd2e1c2.jpeg

4942B8B5-458B-423F-BF30-83E59DB5F78C.jpeg.eec95ca4e8f8970706904294b2938fc6.jpeg

Wow, they are absolutely beautiful...........there's nothing like the old MR colours for me.

Rgds......Mike

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Well you would never guess that that was a first attempt at building and painting/lining carriages.

It is very impressive without a doubt!

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive, Derek. I've just got back from a very small, local, by invitation, show and one demonstrator was lining 4mm scale Midland coaches in early LMS. Great admiration to both him and your son.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Or the genes…

I think that would be Lamarkianism. I can't see that an ability in constructing model carriages would be sufficiently evolutionarily favourable to have become a genetic trait. Nurture rather than nature in this case, I contend.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1