Wagon Workshops

fender

Can anyone provide some examples of small wagon workshops from the steam era? I've seen pics of the ginormous ones where wagons were actually built, but the only example of a smallish one that comes to mind is the repair works at St Blazey.

Any smaller examples even than that? Or were wagons always taken to large central locations for maintenance?

:)

Don't forget that some repairs could be made in cripple sidings or on site in a yard, there is some excellent pathe footage on youtube of this.

I'm not sure, but I think this might have been the extent of the Brockenhurst operation. At Llanelli goods yard, there was a single road set in concrete (to facilitate the use of jacks) with a pre-fabricated concrete shed (think Ratio Provender Store) to keep spare brake blocks and so on in.

If you look at the Tonbridge West Yard thread that on this Forum at present, there are quite a few views of the facilities there, including some showing a very novel use for 27t Tipplers...

I'm not sure, but I think this might have been the extent of the Brockenhurst operation. At Llanelli goods yard, there was a single road set in concrete (to facilitate the use of jacks) with a pre-fabricated concrete shed (think Ratio Provender Store) to keep spare brake blocks and so on in.

If you look at the Tonbridge West Yard thread that on this Forum at present, there are quite a few views of the facilities there, including some showing a very novel use for 27t Tipplers...

A concrete apron would be quite a help, though not always necessary, don't forget empty wagons are generally quite light, often no more than 4-6 tons per axle so many were jacked from metal or wooden spreaders straight onto the ballast.  i agree with the storage of wagon brake shoes though, they're bloody heavy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fender

If you go onto Paul Bartlett's site and search for 'Radstock' [ sorry can't seem to c & p the link ] you will find a few pic's I took and asked Paul to display on his web page. These were taken in the early '80's but from pictures I've sourced for my EM Gauge layout of Radstock, little if anything had changed since 1965 when Derek Fear's pics of Radstock were taken [ Noodle Books Impermanent Ways Volume 5 Somerset, Page 47].

I believe there were some photo's of the wagon works served by the S & D at Radstock published in Model Railways magazine December 1972

HTH

Doug

Archived