Roxey ex LBSC 2 coach set

This is one of my long term planned projects - a typical Southern branch train of the 1930s. A 2 coach set of Brighton coaches, not pull-push fitted, which started out as 3 coach sets rebuilt from earlier 6 wheelers. By the late 1930s some had lost a brake coach and were demoted to working on branches in Kent and Sussex. By this time they were electric lit and vacuum braked. 

There a quite a few photos of these sets working to New-Romney and Dungeness in volume 2 of 'Branch Lines of the Southern railway' from Wild Swan, although it's hard to actually work out which sets they are. So mine will probably be more generic rather than a model of a particular set.

Anyway, I've had the kit for the brake third in my to do pile for a couple of years, and a burst of energy over the last couple of weeks has seen it assembled and ready for painting.

post-1187-0-74862300-1426457397_thumb.jpgpost-1187-0-77953600-1426457404_thumb.jpg

It's a very nice etched kit and was pretty much built as intended. I replaced some of the ventilators with plastic strip to represent the later pressed steel type, and it's had some modifications to accept a Bill Bedford fixed coupler between the two coaches (a very nice lost-wax casting that represents the brake pipes and screw coupler). 

So having done that, I need the composite to run with it. this was ordered last weekend and came in a couple of days. This is what you get for your fifty quid.

post-1187-0-67514400-1426457419_thumb.jpg

Annoying I then broke my last .5mm drill bit, so I can't start on the sides (which need some etched holes clearing). So I've made a start on the bogies - these are a simple fold up frame, with an etched overlay (with embossed bolt detail pushed out) soldered on to it. This is the current state of progress.

post-1187-0-71738800-1426457426_thumb.jpg

I also have a Chivers D3 kit in the pile to pull the thing. But that will come later once I've finished the coaches. 

A new pack of drill bits came in the post today, so I could press on with the coach body. 

First of all I finished soldering up the two bogies. Not much to comment on here. they were pretty straightforward soldered assemblies. Once cleaned up I'll attach the castings for the springs and axleboxes.

post-1187-0-56556100-1426634687_thumb.jpg

The sides were then assembled. Again pretty straightforward, and the only fiddly bit was adding the lower door hinges - these are tidy bits of etched brass which are soldered in to place. Luckily there are plenty of spares for when they ping off in to the distance. The ends were equally straightforward, 

post-1187-0-88511000-1426634670_thumb.jpg

Sides assembled to ends - there are various instructions etched on the sides to make sure you get it all the right way round. 

post-1187-0-76047300-1426634680_thumb.jpg

And then the basic body was soldered together. Again the etched floor tells you which way round it needs to go. 

post-1187-0-38560800-1426634695_thumb.jpg

All in in, I'm slightly impressed with how quick it's gone together. It probably helps that this is the second time I've built one of these in the last few weeks, but the kit is very good. the only real issue I had was with a few of the tabs not quite fitting in slots and needing a touch of the file to make them fit. 

This kit isn't the best in terms of modelling hours for your money as I'm speeding through it. I suspect I'll get my moneys worth when it comes to lining it out. Here's the preserved first at the Bluebell to show what I'm in for.

post-1187-0-68626300-1426722386_thumb.jpg

First up tonight, the castings were superglued to the bogies. I did detect a slight drop in quality compared to the kit I bough a couple of years back, although nothing serious. I guess the moulds are a bit more worn.

post-1187-0-32246600-1426721838_thumb.jpg

I also finished the detailing of the body and underframe. And I hit my first real snag - if you build the kit as intended you need to put a vacuum cylinder and battery box in the same location when building it with vac brake/electric light . I ended up arranging the underframe as per the brake third - I'm not sure how correct this as I've struggled to find any clear photos showing the underframe. The preserved ones are either air braked or on non-original underframes.

post-1187-0-62458000-1426721830_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

The coaches look fantastic. Are the roofs vac formed plastic on these kits? Every time I go on the Roxey website I am tempted by a 2Nol! I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Cheers for now, Ian

I'm also tempted by the 2-Nol. I have a vague memory they used to do a 4-Lav but it's not on the website.

Hi Pete,

I have NOL nearing completion.

post-11380-0-29230500-1426969663_thumb.jpg

(Ignore the underframe equipment - it is scratch built as this is an EE fitted unit - though Roxey do an additional kit for this)

I am not aware that they have done any other EMU apart from this and the very similar 4 SUB unit.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

Best wishes,

Hi Pete

Great work so far, I have a couple of the Roxey SECR Push pull coaches to build.  I have built a loco (nearly) and a chassis for the Hornby Dublo R1 but am a bit nervous about building coaches, can I ask what you used for the tumble home ? 

All the best

Chris

Nearly there. It took a couple of hours tonight to get the Bill Bedford fixed coupling working, and the pair of coaches taking points without any problems. This is what it looks like in place.

post-1187-0-50107200-1427499953_thumb.jpg

I've done a spot more detailing - ventilators and Queen posts are now in place. Another evening should see it ready for painting. 

post-1187-0-47425600-1427500047_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

I have NOL nearing completion.

attachicon.gif2 Nol DMBT.jpg

(Ignore the underframe equipment - it is scratch built as this is an EE fitted unit - though Roxey do an additional kit for this)

I am not aware that they have done any other EMU apart from this and the very similar 4 SUB unit.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

Best wishes,

Very nice!

Can I ask how the roof domes over the cabs are formed in these kits please? Is it a casting...?

Thanks

I had some fun today with the roof. The vacuum forming that came with the composite was different, and didn't fit. I suspect it was the one from the Roxey Chatham coaches, as it was narrower with a shallow profile. I suppose I could have got a new one off Roxey. but instead I had a bit of experimentation. After a couple of goes I managed to form a roof out of plasticard wrapped round a section of cardboard tube and heated in the over at 150 degree for a minute or so.

I held in in place with masking tape. If you use elastic bands you end up with ridges in the plastic where they did in (hence why it took a couple of goes.....).

post-1187-0-37193700-1427576753_thumb.jpgpost-1187-0-09477000-1427576761_thumb.jpg

This was then cut to shape (the distortion was only at the edges) and fitted in to place. I've also added the truss rods and the remaining detail, so the coach is now ready for a nice day so I can take it and the brake third outside and prime them. I may be waiting a while.....

post-1187-0-42523700-1427576769_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I used a length of broom handle to roll the tumblehome to roughly the right shape. The brass is quite thin, so I could tweak it with my fingers where the curve wasn't quite right.

Pete.

What did you roll it on? I've some Bullied sides in the post?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

It took me about a year of on and off (mostly off) work to paint and finish the coaches. But they're finally done.

Most of the pain was in lining them - I'm not the greatest at this, so it tends to be done in small increments (by hand using a bowpen and a fine brush for the corners). Transfers were from HMRS.  

post-1187-0-96025000-1460488153_thumb.jpgpost-1187-0-05236500-1460488188_thumb.jpgpost-1187-0-53467100-1460488191_thumb.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the result. I have a Chivers D3 under construction to go with them, which should make a typical Central/Eastern section branch train from the 1930s. 

It took me about a year of on and off (mostly off) work to paint and finish the coaches. But they're finally done.

Most of the pain was in lining them - I'm not the greatest at this, so it tends to be done in small increments (by hand using a bowpen and a fine brush for the corners). Transfers were from HMRS.  

attachicon.gif100_9165.JPGattachicon.gif100_9162.JPGattachicon.gif100_9164.JPG

I'm rather pleased with the result. I have a Chivers D3 under construction to go with them, which should make a typical Central/Eastern section branch train from the 1930s. 

Read this with great interest - well done a fascinating read. .

Roxey coaches are really enjoyable to build I think I have built about 9 over recent years.

Unlike you I tend to take the rather easier option of building coaches in BR green livery or in blood and custard. The thought of lining all the individual panels in Southern livery would be a challenge too far for me

I have attached a picture of a Roxey Non -Descrpt brake that I built last year

Regards

post-21587-0-26943300-1460495904_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Pete

Cracking work on the coaches, they look great.  I still have to do mine and still have to finish my D3, but have not had much time to do anything.  Have packed a lot of stuff away as hopefully starting the loft conversion soon.  can't wait to see the D3 too.

All the best
Chris

Archived