Laser Cut Modular Baseboards RMweb spec.

Steve-e

I wans't sure which thread to put this in as there were 3 following the same thought for basic design, laser cut and lack of curved boards so made one on its own

Now for some good news.

While I appreciate some like a bit of carpentry my hope is that this will also open up the modular principle to many who may not have the skills or confidence with the first step which is the Baseboards.

Therefore opening the Modular principle to many more who once have attended a meet will get to know others with a similar interest and will then maybe for their next board take on board how others have produced their own boards from scratch and possibly move on to that stage. But for now I hope this opens the door for some and hopefully can be seen as a positive step.

I myself highlighted many months ago my main fear was that I would get to a meet and my board wouldn’t work so while I applaud those with the skills to produce their own boards but for those first steps I prefer a head start.

So the following may come in handy for those interested but unsure of the basic start.

I have been working with Tim Horn http://www.timhorn.co.uk/  (well Tim has been working I just gave him a basic length required,paids the money and Tim did the work .) Other than that I have no connection with Tim just a happy customer.

My requirements were for a boards in approx. 3 ft lengths built to the RMweb Standard 1st was a straight 3ft by 18inch straight board and the 2nd an approx 3ft curved board.

Yes the single was probably within my capabilities to produce but there was no way for now I would ever attempt a curved board and as per another thread we could end up with everyone arriving at a meet with straight boards…. giving the organisers a headache  :paint: hopefully this can now be avoided.

Tim however came back with another option he’d looked at which was a junction board.

The specifications for the curves and junction are The segments are 45 degrees, so 4 will make a semicircle, and the junction board is the same 3 foot radius. Other radii can be used though so I’ve just gone for the minimum spec so far.”

So at the moment these are in the test stage but Tim has kindly sent me a photo of the junction board and the curved board which is here. These show the tops only.

post-12740-0-16678300-1426884612_thumb.jpg

This is also the diagram for the junction.

post-12740-0-64149200-1426884697_thumb.jpg

As I say these are both in the Test stage at the moment so I don’t have them in hand but they will form my contribution to the RMweb modular challenge so I will give updates once they have arrived.

So if they look what you’ve been waiting for drop Tim an email he is very accommodating in working to your needs.

As the Britmod-OO spec is the same as the Freemo UK guys spec these may also be useful for them.

So get moduling :drinks:

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Are Tims boards designed with the ends to the spec clamp wise? 6mm on his standard boards seems a bit thin on the ends to keep it rigid and take the clamp pressure. Might need a pad to spread the load?

Are Tims boards designed with the ends to the spec clamp wise? 6mm on his standard boards seems a bit thin on the ends to keep it rigid and take the clamp pressure. Might need a pad to spread the load?

Not to sure as to thickness. I was looking at incorparating some extra clamp area as part of the leg structure, but will work on that when they come.

Hopefully I can get them up and running for the 27th June then give them a good testing with others boards and feedback to Tim any issues.

Cheers

Is there a Y-point that fits this arrangement?

As above they are in the Test stage really especially the Y board, the Y board will probably just be blank for the 27th June even to the extreme of taking some Y points that are available some lengths of track and looking at the options.

I will discuss with the meet planner as to the best requirements to put it through its paces which is what Tim has asked for us to do.

Cheers

As above they are in the Test stage really especially the Y board, the Y board will probably just be blank for the 27th June even to the extreme of taking some Y points that are available some lengths of track and looking at the options.

I will discuss with the meet planner as to the best requirements to put it through its paces which is what Tim has asked for us to do.

Cheers

Having looked at the options and having had an early morning modular discussion I'm also looking at the possibility of the People SL-199 3 way point which fits the curvature and I have ideas for the straight ahead.

So once the boards arrives I'll have a look again.

Cheers

Hi Paul, 

Most of my boards come with 12mm ends as standard.

Kind regards,

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim, I like the interlocking construction so even though I'm quite happy building boards I can't do big cuts easily at home at present so it's got me thinking and that answers my only query.

Tim,

Any idea what prices you'll be looking at for curved baseboards? 

Originally I was thinking of a short straight board, but I can see that curved boards are potentially more useful for modular meets if their only purpose is to increase the length of run.  Like Phil above, my preference would be for a nominal four foot radius ply construction rather than three foot radius.

Still debating whether to commit to a Challenge 2015 module.

Hi all,

Price wise, I'm trying to keep the 3ft boards down to £40 each, 4ft at £50 in MDF, as a kit of parts. The curved ones a slightly more complicated in construction, but again, starting from £35 for a curved board at 3ft radius (45degree segments)

As with all of my boards, I've pretty much done all the sizes up to 4ft by 3ft, but any change to a board does require adding the order to my list of orders I'm afraid. I haven't enough hours in the day, and I'm on my own pretty much all the time :)

Cheers

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I think that Tim's boards are very good value.

Perhaps a bit more thought needed on design. I have been working on junction boards for a while now and it ain't easy to match pointwork geometry and curved tracks to arrive at edge of baseboard at 90° and in the centre.

Thanks Joseph,

I must admit I do build my own point work so I'm a bit out of touch with the ready to lay stuff, but I do have my friend Ernie who pops in to issues advice and wit when required! :)

Cheers

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim & Steve, I think this is a great step forward.

Like many who are either returning to the hobby or short of time due to work/family etc, I would hope the availability of pre-made boards will encourage more to start modules.

Hi all,

Price wise, I'm trying to keep the 3ft boards down to £40 each, 4ft at £50 in MDF, as a kit of parts. The curved ones a slightly more complicated in construction, but again, starting from £35 for a curved board at 3ft radius (45degree segments)

As with all of my boards, I've pretty much done all the sizes up to 4ft by 3ft, but any change to a board does require adding the order to my list of orders I'm afraid. I haven't enough hours in the day, and I'm on my own pretty much all the time  :)

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I understand that it is unrealistic to expect next day service for effectively a bespoke product, but how long is your list of orders: days, weeks or months?  I'm interested in the curved boards of nominally four foot radius in Birch Ply.  How would I go about placing an order for a product not listed on your website?

Hi,

Thanks, realistically its going to be at least two to three months at the moment. I've got a few huge orders to get done in the next several weeks along with many other singles or double sets of boards. All of my work is bespoke to some degree at the moment, every board I've made has been asked for in that respect by the customer through my website e-mail address. I should and do hope to get some curved boards and straight boards in stock for direct ordering soon, off the shelf! So watch this space :)

Cheers

Tim

So things are progressing with my modular board that Tim produced.

The Y board is on hold at the moment as Tim is still working on the detail of it but he sent me the other two boards so I could crack on with them.

They went together really well and I'll start separate threads on them in the Brit-Mod Challenge to show some of the construction but here's a photo of the finished article.

post-12740-0-45234400-1428009214.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Archived